Sponsored

HiPo Mustang (S550) Prototype Spied -With Different Exhaust Setup and Sound

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I'm thinking most of you have no ears for engines. That is not a 6 for sure, and it isn't a 4 either. That is most definitely the FPC we've been hearing about. A 4 would smooth out alot more as the rpm climbs than the motor in this video does.

Well, you never hear past 3,500 rpm'ish...

The actual exhaust is muted, it is not direct from the engine, It sounds forced induced to me.
Plus, listen to the burble at the end.. it is muted, not direct from engine...

The reason is, that I drive a inline 6 turbo and it sounds soo similar (given their inherent differences).
It just didn't sound like a "big block" v8 to me, if anything a small v8 4.0..?

But we'll definitely will know more, when we hear it shift under some load.
I am excited for a non-v8 Mustang... to compete with the M4. I hope it is a DFI v6 with FI.
Sponsored

tbonez3858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bat mobile
Any possibilities they are going to have a high performance version of the turbo 4 (like a GT350 but with a 4) ?

What better way to get people to warm up to 4/6s than to make a hi-power version....

crysalis_01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Terminator Cobra
Another thought: How much research and development would need to go into a flat-plane equipped engine? I would expect there would be a lot of money being pumped into it, and it would be for a niche market - it's hard for me see a business case for it, however cool it might be. An engine solely for a few Mustangs when there are already three powertrain options? It would be so much easier to throw some kind of forced induction on a Coyote and call it a day.

Exactly, as long as you ignore the past ('00R's 5.4, Terminator's 4.6, Trinity)

To your last point, I think you underestimate the R&D required to boost an OEM engine. Ford can't be like any of us and just throw on an FI set up on an engine and call it good.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP

To your last point, I think you underestimate the R&D required to boost an OEM engine. Ford can't be like any of us and just throw on an FI set up on an engine and call it good.
To further this, given how much lower and wider the S550 is, and the confirmation of the packaging constraints I can absolutely see them going this route.

I can't speak for how much R&D is required to FPC a motor, however their are plenty of LSX's with FPC in them...

GTsquid

The ecoboost 6 would put that car in direct competition power-wise to the GT.

I could see them phasing out the 5.0L and replacing it with the ecoboost, but not offering both.

* Could be the phase out plan on the 5.0L coyote.. offer the ecoboost tuned upwards of 500hp to sway the V8 crowd.
Not if it were to be a special edition, as Mitchell is suggesting in this thread. A hipo Mustang SE can step on the GT's shoes all it wants.

Plus, a 3.5L would help with the whole problem of "it costs too much to produce another one-off engine for the Mustang" since its development for the most part has been funded by the F150. I'm sure modifications would have to be made (of which I'm not sure how much) but I would think a lot of the R&D would be paid for already.

Sponsored

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP

There are already examples of boosted Coyote's out there: The Cobra Jet being a Ford factory example. The point is that there are already mature FI options developed for the Coyote, albeit mostly aftermarket. Wasn't the same block for the Terminator used in the Mach 1, and the 5.4L an option in the F150? I don't know what else the Trinity was in - if anything. Heck - even the 2.3L ecoboost is in that Lincoln thing rated at 275hp - although it's been said it was developed for the Mustang. What other applications are there for a flat plane V8? I don't see it going into a truck or point-A-to-B people mover. It seems relegated to sports cars. I'm not saying I don't want to see it happen - but if I pretend to be a Ford executive for a moment, I don't think I could advocate the development of such an engine...

Focustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Sounds normally aspirated. FPCs fire like a staggered doubled inline four cylinder, so the comparison to fours that some are making is valid. I don't hear V6 lumpiness in it, and from the revs versus launch acceleration, it would seem to imply a peaky motor. Most of what I observe points to a FPC V8. The exhaust tune is fair, so I'm guessing that the production tune will approach a Ferrari bark when it's complete. Since FPCs tend to forgo low-end torque for high redline, limiting this to a pricey special edition makes the most sense--I'm guessing that most buyers want the low end grunt. All conjecture on my part. Don't crucify me, please.

M.Senger

Threads
Reaction score
My theory.

We all know that GM has Alhpa platform for CTS, ATS and Camaro. CTS-V Sport already have got 3.6L Twin Turbo 420 HP engine. Will GM put this engine into Camaro in the future? Ford needs to be prepared if they do. My guess it's they working on 3.5L EcoBoost for Mustang. They may realease it when GM will decide to put V6 TT in their Camaro.

Why not Flat Plane Crank? This is too expensive to develop and not reliable enough for a Mustang. SC or even Turbo will be less expensive, more powerfull and more reliable.

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Could flat plane crank engine be a simple crank swap? How much of the engine would need to change? Would there be clearance issues inside the case? I can't imagine they could use the same heads... What about cooling? How much of the Coyote engine would be left once the crank gets swapped out - and would Ford do this before developing DI for the Coyote?

Sponsored

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
I'm thinking most of you have no ears for engines. That is not a 6 for sure, and it isn't a 4 either. That is most definitely the FPC we've been hearing about. A 4 would smooth out alot more as the rpm climbs than the motor in this video does.
OK can someone explain to a newbie what HI PO and FPC stand for?

Also are we expecting another v4 EB version coming later?

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Could flat plane crank engine be a simple crank swap? How much of the engine would need to change? Would there be clearance issues inside the case? I can't imagine they could use the same heads... What about cooling? How much of the Coyote engine would be left once the crank gets swapped out - and would Ford do this before developing DI for the Coyote?

The camshafts are really the only thing that NEEDS to be converted(due to the new firing order), but as far as OEM engineering levels are concerned there are things to consider with harmonics and overall durability.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
OK can someone explain to a newbie what HI PO and FPC stand for?

Also are we expecting another v4 EB version coming later?
HI-Po = High Performance
FPC= Flat Plane Crankshaft

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
The camshafts are really the only thing that NEEDS to be converted(due to the new firing order), but as far as OEM engineering levels are concerned there are things to consider with harmonics and overall durability.
BINGO

here's a wikipedia article showing the history of the modular engines, and how many vehicles they've been in - I had no idea there were so many:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Modular_engine#5.8.C2.A0L