Sponsored

2018 Mustang Refresh More Spy Shots...

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Front disc calipers are Brembos.

Rear deck lid definitely has an attached spoiler, can see it in a few of the pics above.

The dash cluster is probably going to be a redesign as well, because in the interior shot, there is not a visible gauge cluster...which explains all of the black camo over the top of the dash, near the center and near where the cluster would normally be as we see it today.

I wonder if the entire top dash pad is being reworked?

Flat hood = BORING. I don't have any issues seeing beyond the current S550 hood, does anyone else? Why flatten it as they did??
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Agreed, you'd have to assume they wouldn't cover the dash like that unless there are changes afoot. Perhaps the digital gauges, or a version of them, that was shown by Delphi at the CES earlier this year.

ford-mustang-ces-2016-lasvegas-3-.jpg

Also, I wouldn't assume the sky is falling with the assumption it'll have a flat hood. Certainly looks like the twin spears have gone, but hopefully there will be something else interesting going on :)

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app

Rear deck lid definitely has an attached spoiler, can see it in a few of the pics above.

The dash cluster is probably going to be a redesign as well, because in the interior shot, there is not a visible gauge cluster...which explains all of the black camo over the top of the dash, near the center and near where the cluster would normally be as we see it today.

Flat hood = BORING. I don't have any issues seeing beyond the current S550 hood, does anyone else? Why flatten it as they did??
I love my hood too, definitely not run of the mill in any way and I have no visibility issues at all. My guess is it is more GT350 like, with a slightly lower profile. As much as I like my hood, the GT350 is an outstanding looking car as well (though I think it should retain its uniqueness).

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I love my hood too, definitely not run of the mill in any way and I have no visibility issues at all. My guess is it is more GT350 like, with a slightly lower profile. As much as I like my hood, the GT350 is an outstanding looking car as well (though I think it should retain its uniqueness).
Take the 350 hood and remove the center vent and I think that will be the 18's hood.

Look at it like the 13 refresh.... They basically took the GT500 fascia and watered it down a bit for mainstream use. I think the exact same is going to happen for 2018. Take the 350 fascia, remove the fender and hood vents, remove/water down the lower "fangs" and redesign the headlights. That's what I think the 18 will look like. I think it might also be a safe bet that the main cluster will now be full digital. If you look closely though you can see the center aux gauge trim rings so they will remain separate round gauges but they could also become digital.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Take the 350 hood and remove the center vent and I think that will be the 18's hood.

Look at it like the 13 refresh.... They basically took the GT500 fascia and watered it down a bit for mainstream use. I think the exact same is going to happen for 2018. Take the 350 fascia, remove the fender and hood vents, remove/water down the lower "fangs" and redesign the headlights. That's what I think the 18 will look like. I think it might also be a safe bet that the main cluster will now be full digital. If you look closely though you can see the center aux gauge trim rings so they will remain separate round gauges but they could also become digital.
Yep was going to say the same thing about the hood and gauges Zack...completely agree.

The GT350 hood is very nice...has good lines in it but not overly over the top.

My guess is 2 things...visibility reasons...and in terms of competing for more consumer buyers from companies like Audi/BMW and in the European market they want the Mustang to be even more considered a sports car, not a muscle car. The hood scoop gives off that image of muscle car/certain type of buyer that wouldn't shop for it.

Look at say a BMW M4 or Audi S5 or similar and their hoods...I think that is the direction they are going.

Sponsored

Alw612

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Fusion

A reworked dashboard would be interesting. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the twin brow/symmetric look, though it is iconic. I would prefer a more driver-centric cockpit, which would match the exterior design and the overall theme Ford is taking with the mustang better. (more modern/euro, less retro)

It looks from the spy shot that the driver side dashboard is higher than the passenger side. However, it could just be the dash cover/camo.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This may be a stupid question or observation... Why would the door mirrors be covered in the camo wrap as well? At least from the images they don't appear to be any different in shape, design or appearances from the current 15-17 mirrors.

5-OH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I've always wondered if car companies send out new cars with camo on them just to give us something to talk about in the forums :lol:
That's definitely part of it for sure.

If you've ever seen "A Faster Horse" it seems they go to extreme lengths to keep a secret while really not keeping a secret

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm calling dash and gauge cluster redesign for 2018.

I have enhanced the interior image 2x more than the original. Look to the right of the steering wheel, you can make out one of the dash HVAC vents. It appears to be sitting lower and looks to be angled different from the current S550 design.

Also, very hard to make out any main driver gauge cluster shape/design at this time due to original photo quality and distance - but there's certainly something going on there too. Where the large (2) main gauge (speedo/tach) chrome rings would normally be located in front of the steering wheel - their presence looks to be absent in that photo.

The top of the driver dash over where the main gauge cluster is located, do any of you think that area looks to be more rounded under the camo wrap as opposed to our current "flat & level brow" design?

One more note:
It's hard to tell, but the A-pillar looks to be absent of tweeter pod. I know there's "aftermarket" gauges hanging in that area, but where the lower gauge is, I don't see any raised surface area of the A-pillar where the tweeter pod would normally be found.

Thoughts?
IMG_4725.JPG
IMG_4727.JPG

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I wonder if it'll be just the new gauges.......certainly they don't want you to see anything in that car!

One thing and, again, it's probably the camo playing tricks. Look to the LEFT of the steering wheel and there's a dark circle.....I'm assuming that's covering the HVAC vent.....but why circular when the current vent is a rectangle?

Long shot, but I wonder if we'll see circular vents on the outside edges of the dash, as per this official rendering from '15.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Couple things:

1) Tri-bar DRL's still there, with a little bit of a different shape, more like tri-boomerang?
2) Basically flat hood :(
3) Rings around the main projector lamps are interesting...will have to see it all together before I can judge it
4) It appears they went to a totally different exhaust supplier, more similar to what GM uses on the Camaro...look at the shape/construction of the mufflers!
5) No significant changes at the back of the car, probably just lightly restyled accents, but overall the same shape and features
Good summary.
1. Agree still has tri-bars and I think the lights are slightly smaller compared to the current version, but not excessively squinty like the Camaro. Looks like the grill "mouth" is slightly lower and smaller when compared to the headlight placement. A little less of the huge fish mouth shape that the current design has.
2. Yes hood looks flatter. There could still be vents added here and there in the final versions.
No comment on 3 and 4.
5. The rear of the car looks more vertical to me, and I also see slightly more of an upturn compared to the current style. I hope you are right and this area isn't changed much, but to me the changes look significant. Currently this is the best looking part of the car - hopefully it still looks good with the restyle.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Not sure how I feel about those halo rings if they do in fact light up. Looks like the tail lights will be nearly identical to the current setup which doesn't bother me one bit but it would have been cool to see if they could have done something to make them even cooler looking.

So bummed they had the dash covered. I'm hoping we get lucky and get a shot with the cover up soon. They can't drive around with covered gauges the entire time. It looks like there's still some kind of circular gauge pods going on based off the rounded parts sticking up but it certainly seems less prominent than the current gauges. Ideally I think I'd like a mix of the current gauge housings with digital gauges and customizable gauge fonts inside them.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Also, the more I see those new front tri-bars the more I see a similarity to the new Maxima's headlights, just smaller and times three:

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
I wonder if it'll be just the new gauges.......certainly they don't want you to see anything in that car!

One thing and, again, it's probably the camo playing tricks. Look to the right of the steering wheel and there's a dark circle.....I'm assuming that's covering the HVAC vent.....but why circular when the current vent is a rectangle?

Long shot, but I wonder if we'll see circular vents on the outside edges of the dash, as per this official rendering from '15.

Ummm... the vents are circular on the 15+...

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Ummm... the vents are circular on the 15+...
I said the ones on the outer edge of the dash...........but I did say right side when I meant left of the steering wheel.
Sponsored