Sponsored

Coyote cam sensor questions... (Hardware and tune related)

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
So I am having a hard time finding information on this subject and am hoping someone in this forum could help answer them... I am basically trying to learn how the Coyote PCM unitizes the cam sensors and trigger wheels. From what I have been able to find on the trigger wheels attached to each cam, they do not follow a tooth pattern like the crank trigger wheel. What correlation does the tooth pattern have to the cam? I know in terms of electronics the sensors help control the VCT system as well as the ignition.

Say someone were to delete VCT, could the cam sensors be completely deleted in terms of a PCM tune? Or could they be at least be simplified to say 1 sensor with one tooth trigger wheel in order for the PCM to be able to determine cam position for ignition purposes? Any more information you can provide on the subject would be much appreciated! Just trying to get a grasp on exactly how this system works.

The reason for these questions is I might be attempting a project soon using a 2015 style automatic PCM with a modified 2015 coyote harness in order to run a 4.6 DOHC and 6r80 drivetrain setup.
Sponsored

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
No info? :kickrock:

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
[ame]

I think about 1:45 in is what you are looking for.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)

I think about 1:45 in is what you are looking for.
Thanks for the video. Interesting depiction of the VCT system but unfortunately it doesn’t answer my question.... I curious to know the hardware relationship between the cam trigger wheel teeth and features on the cam. That way if need be I can replicate the system on the 4.6 to please the PCM in terms of ignition timing.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
To clear up some confusion, I am wondering what these trigger wheels have in relation to the coyote cam since the tooth pattern seems to not follow a basic symmetrical pattern.
IMG_2775.jpg

Taz2020

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Muataz
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang
So I am having a hard time finding information on this subject and am hoping someone in this forum could help answer them... I am basically trying to learn how the Coyote PCM unitizes the cam sensors and trigger wheels. From what I have been able to find on the trigger wheels attached to each cam, they do not follow a tooth pattern like the crank trigger wheel. What correlation does the tooth pattern have to the cam? I know in terms of electronics the sensors help control the VCT system as well as the ignition.

Say someone were to delete VCT, could the cam sensors be completely deleted in terms of a PCM tune? Or could they be at least be simplified to say 1 sensor with one tooth trigger wheel in order for the PCM to be able to determine cam position for ignition purposes? Any more information you can provide on the subject would be much appreciated! Just trying to get a grasp on exactly how this system works.

The reason for these questions is I might be attempting a project soon using a 2015 style automatic PCM with a modified 2015 coyote harness in order to run a 4.6 DOHC and 6r80 drivetrain setup.
Hello Zack,

Were you able to find an answer to this question? I have the same question and I am wondering if you could share with me any information it would be a great help.

Thank you!
Sponsored