Sponsored

signs of a bad throttle body?

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
That would be the purge valve.
Will the purge valve operate in a way that makes the throttle body open/close slightly in a rhythmic pattern every few seconds? I have taken a datalog of this and can see the throttle body opening about 1* every 2 seconds for about 15 seconds. During this time the vacuum gauge will bounce slightly and the spark Will bounce several degrees (presumably to keep idle speed steady). The exhaust note audibly changes, and now I have discovered that with the hood open I can hear something clicking when this occurs. Does that still sound like the purge valve operation?
Sponsored

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Additionally, could I just unplug the purge valve and see if it quits doing this? I'm sure I'd get a cel but can just clear the code later. If I disconnected the electrical connector would that trigger anything else?

jedcoRED

Makesnosenseiknowcrazy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP OW Ebony
My car was bucking and then dying when sitting in drive thru's. Took it to the dealer and it was the throttle body. Warranty'd and no issues now. The car felt heavy and slow for about 2 weeks and would just die when idling. They didn't say anything about the "purge valve" tho

It was like a new car when I got it back...so much faster.

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
My car isn't doing any of that

But I did find another thread with a video of exactly what my car is doing. Guy said he replaced the TB and it fixed the issue.

I have a 2013 F150 5.0. Anyone know if the throttle bodies are interchangeable? If so I can swap them out and see if it makes a difference.

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
I think the F150 has a little smaller throttle plate. It may bolt on, but probably have drivability issues.

Sponsored

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I disconnected the electrical connector to the purge valve solenoid and didn't notice a difference. This is not my video but my car is doing the same thing. This guy said a new throttle body fixed this for him

[ame]https://vimeo.com/200105745[/ame]

Nasteg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP Ingot Silver
Recently my car has been doing that idle surge on cold start up only and i just noticed the clicking noise in my intake yesterday, one thing thats been weird is that sometimes my idle wants to fall under 500 it feels as if its going to shutoff

al3x

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
My car has been making this noise since I installed the supercharger, never noticed anything wrong so I didn't look into it any further after people on here suggested it wasn't anything bad.

Last edited:

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
That may be your bypass valve and not your throttle body. Look underneath to make sure the actuator arm is not moving.

Sponsored

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
Specific too positive displacement blowers. At idle they have a bypass so that proper vacuum is created.

jshammond

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Recently my car has been doing that idle surge on cold start up only and i just noticed the clicking noise in my intake yesterday, one thing thats been weird is that sometimes my idle wants to fall under 500 it feels as if its going to shutoff
I'm having this exact issue right now. Throttle body popping/clicking and then the sound is actually echoing out of the exhaust tips a second or two later; but when driving if I put the car in neutral to coast the last little bit to the stop sign or light, the RPMs will dip down to 500, and has actually stalled a few times. Did you get your issue sorted out?

Brmoorejr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt Premuim
I'm having this exact issue right now. Throttle body popping/clicking and then the sound is actually echoing out of the exhaust tips a second or two later; but when driving if I put the car in neutral to coast the last little bit to the stop sign or light, the RPMs will dip down to 500, and has actually stalled a few times. Did you get your issue sorted out?
Its the throttle body.
I had the same issue and replaced mine and it works properly now.

Here is what mine sounded like

https://share.icloud.com/photos/08Nvf2-QArQS8tGvYWvu7yzqQ#Home

Bigred911s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Big Red
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I ordered a new throttle body. I have the same ticking noise and can feel I when I put my finger against the TB. My idle at times dips below 500. I was getting random low rpm misfires on #s 4&8 on and off with flashing CEL. Then CEL would go off completely. I changed plugs and swamped coil to make sure they weren't the problem. After a week problem came back. I replaced the intake manifold but the throttle body is on back order. I will replace it as soon as I get it. I'm sure it's the dreaded TB. My GT is DD with 51k why miles on it.
Sponsored