Sponsored

Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit

MustangDaily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Auto
Will it possible for the heated steering wheel from the 18 models to be retrofitted into the 15-17 models? What parts do you all think will be required for the retrofit? I tried looking at the pictures to see where the button for the heated steering wheel but i can't seem to find the location. Maybe it's in Sync 3?
Sponsored

kingofsting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Shadow Black / Redline Interior
I have the heated steering wheel in my 2016 MKC with sync 3. Some lincolns have a button on the dash, some don't, but the climate screen on Sync 3 has a provision for the heated wheel. I presume adding the wheel will require an addition to the harness from the car side, or replacement harness, along with an APIM flash to add the heated wheel button on the Sync screen. I'm thinking total cost for proper installation will run in the $500-800 range, if done by a dealer.

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
I got the GT350 wheel and never felt the need with it for heated. I can see it with the standard leather

OP
OP
MustangDaily

MustangDaily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Auto
Had to revive this thread seeing how the 18 Mustangs are in the wild. I was just wondering if anyone has looked at the parts required for this retrofit as I can't seem to find them. Do you all think it's possible to do this retrofit?

Last edited:

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Should be possible just depends on where it needs to connect to and how to turn it on. Not something I’ll even need but I’ll keep my eye out. Is it an option on all premium cars or is it in an another package?

Sponsored

OP
OP
MustangDaily

MustangDaily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Auto
I think it is part of the 401a package on all premium cars only. In addition to what kingofsting said what is needed, a clockspring might also be added to that list.

DanMc85

The Source
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD 2.0L
OP
OP
MustangDaily

MustangDaily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Auto
Thanks for the guide DanMc85, seems to be a pretty straightforward install but mounting the HSWM seems to be a pain considering the amount of room to work with.

BoostedCanadianPoney

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Antoine
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard EB PP base
Reviving this thread once more. Are there part numbers for the 18’s heated steering wheel and harnesses required to get this done on 15-17?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Should be possible just depends on where it needs to connect to and how to turn it on. Not something I’ll even need but I’ll keep my eye out. Is it an option on all premium cars or is it in an another package?
Would a heated wheel need a heavier gauge power wire than a manufacturer would run for a car that didn't have a heated wheel option (2015-17 Mustang)?

Sponsored

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
All the information you are looking for is in the Digital gauge cluster thread.

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Yes a heated steering wheel can be added. I have all the parts necessary but waiting on one other part to make it work with the 18 digital cluster I added as well.

In short, and if you are referring to adding only the heated wheel on a MY 15-17, the parts needed are:

Heated steering wheel (any 18 Mustang version and I’ll explain below).
New 2018 air bag - yes it’s different and required and usually the deal breaker to this mod.
Heated steering wheel module.
Clockspring related to heated steering wheel.
Wiring harness that is parts sourced and built/soldered for the heated steering wheel module and everything it has to connect to.

Not part related is the forscan programming to code in the heated steering wheel icon on the sync3 or sync2, heated steering wheel activation, and the new blocks that are associated with the new heated wheel module.

I mentioned any heated steering wheel part number because if your only going for that result, and not adding the digital cluster, the heated wheel will come with new switches associated with that model number but you won’t use them. You’ll be taking your old switches out of your current wheel and placing them in the new wheel. This mod doesn’t require a SCCM change so your normal button configuration won’t change. When doing a cluster change the new SCCM is required for the new buttons to work on the wheel in conjunction with the digital cluster.

Once I get my new SCCM which also comes with the new clockspring, I will make a more detailed post with pics of that process which will relate easily to this.

OP
OP
MustangDaily

MustangDaily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Auto
Yes a heated steering wheel can be added. I have all the parts necessary but waiting on one other part to make it work with the 18 digital cluster I added as well.

In short, and if you are referring to adding only the heated wheel on a MY 15-17, the parts needed are:

Heated steering wheel (any 18 Mustang version and I’ll explain below).
New 2018 air bag - yes it’s different and required and usually the deal breaker to this mod.
Heated steering wheel module.
Clockspring related to heated steering wheel.
Wiring harness that is parts sourced and built/soldered for the heated steering wheel module and everything it has to connect to.

Not part related is the forscan programming to code in the heated steering wheel icon on the sync3 or sync2, heated steering wheel activation, and the new blocks that are associated with the new heated wheel module.

I mentioned any heated steering wheel part number because if your only going for that result, and not adding the digital cluster, the heated wheel will come with new switches associated with that model number but you won’t use them. You’ll be taking your old switches out of your current wheel and placing them in the new wheel. This mod doesn’t require a SCCM change so your normal button configuration won’t change. When doing a cluster change the new SCCM is required for the new buttons to work on the wheel in conjunction with the digital cluster.

Once I get my new SCCM which also comes with the new clockspring, I will make a more detailed post with pics of that process which will relate easily to this.
Thanks for the required parts list, is it alright if I put your detailed post on the heated steering installation in this thread? I'm kinda worried about switching out the old airbag for the new one, will the new airbag work without any problems?

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Yes that is fine, and if I remember I'll link it myself. Again, awaiting that one other part that still has no official arrival date so any detailed install is delayed until I get that.

BoostedCanadianPoney

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Antoine
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard EB PP base
Yes that is fine, and if I remember I'll link it myself. Again, awaiting that one other part that still has no official arrival date so any detailed install is delayed until I get that.
Awesome, will be waiting for that. Canadian winters are a B*tch.
Sponsored