Sponsored

Headers for a noob.

bahasad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Premium, 14 BMW F30 Stage 1
Looking to get a set of headers this week for my car. Couple of questions since I've never bought headers before (never had a V8) and would like to take advantage of black friday deals:

1) Do I need a tune if I am to run headers - I just have a FRPP Stage 1 tune and would like to keep that (for now)

2) Warranty - since this is just a set of headers, will this affect warranty on any engine/transmission issues?

3) Shorty vs. long tube - what is the difference? I notice shorty headers are usually cheaper, am I wrong to consider them?

4) Recommend a set - anybody have any recommendations? Would love to spend between 500-1000.
Sponsored

FIVE_LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP Competition Orange
A tune would maximize the experience.

Warranty-smoranty

If youre thinking about shortys just keep the factory headers. They are very efficient.

Texas speed has a set in your price range that Ive heard good things about. People also swear by the cheap ebay chinese speed daddy headers on the facebook pages. I dont think I'd run them personally but I'm not a huge risk taker when it comes to installing parts lol. Its going to be American racing headers or kooks for me when I finally do exhaust. If you plan on forced induction in the future get the 1-7/8" headers, if you plan on staying naturally aspirated you can save a couple bucks and get 1-3/4".

OP
OP

bahasad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Premium, 14 BMW F30 Stage 1
A tune would maximize the experience.

Warranty-smoranty

If youre thinking about shortys just keep the factory headers. They are very efficient.

Texas speed has a set in your price range that Ive heard good things about. People also swear by the cheap ebay chinese speed daddy headers on the facebook pages. I dont think I'd run them personally but I'm not a huge risk taker when it comes to installing parts lol. Its going to be American racing headers or kooks for me when I finally do exhaust. If you plan on forced induction in the future get the 1-7/8" headers, if you plan on staying naturally aspirated you can save a couple bucks and get 1-3/4".
interesting, thanks for the feedback.

M151A2

Skinny old dude
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emmett
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Watching this page as well. Very much considering same.
Not to hijack the thread but would like to add another question.....
Fit and ease of installation.

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
If you want something cheap, you should look into this thread
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91994

Warranty: most likely your warranty will get void, esp if you go catless. However, you can fight it and prove that the headers did not cause the issue, etc.

As for long tubes vs shortys

Long tube headers build a ton of power in the mid to high RPM range.
Shorty headers perform best in the idle to mid-RPM range.

Sponsored

Jayme

DoggystyleRacing®
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aedhp.com
First Name
Jayme
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
for that budget, id say the Texas Speed long tubes would be your best bet.

Iceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F150,2016 PP GT
Just a heads up you can pick up a set of stainless power catted headers for the same price of the TSP headers . Just picked up a set from lethal performance and their black Friday sale. It comes with free shipping as well, which tsp does not.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
you don't "need" a tune, but more than likely you will get a cel without one.

but...we can get you setup this week for 1198 with headers, tune, and handheld!!!!! with our bf specials!!!

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
you don't "need" a tune, but more than likely you will get a cel without one.

but...we can get you setup this week for 1198 with headers, tune, and handheld!!!!! with our bf specials!!!
HMmmmm Nice deals to be found here I say.

On another note, Kooks headers. May cost a bit more than the some of the cheaper versions, but boy are they worth every bit. Love my setup.

v8ter

Typing...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MUSTANG GT 2015 50TH
Just take care of the ac bolt before you install the headers after you removed the stock ones , because some headers will touch , I was told it wouldn’t be a problem and it was a big problem and trying to remove it after the headers installed was a pain , Ive had good experience more then once with pypes longtubes and ask beefcake for a great price on a set.

Sponsored

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
Just take care of the ac bolt before you install the headers after you removed the stock ones , because some headers will touch , I was told it wouldn’t be a problem and it was a big problem and trying to remove it after the headers installed was a pain , Ive had good experience more then once with pypes longtubes and ask beefcake for a great price on a set.
How do you take care of that ac bolt?

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I’m considering putting catted headers on mine with the gt350 IM. I’ve narrowed the choice to ARH or Kooks.

aRH are longer by some margin and Kooks are 1/2 way between shorties and long tubes. Does that mean the ARH will make it a 6000rpm screamer while Kooks will flatten the curve a bit more towards the middle of the Rev range? I don’t want it to be toooo racy

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
I’m considering putting catted headers on mine with the gt350 IM. I’ve narrowed the choice to ARH or Kooks.

aRH are longer by some margin and Kooks are 1/2 way between shorties and long tubes. Does that mean the ARH will make it a 6000rpm screamer while Kooks will flatten the curve a bit more towards the middle of the Rev range? I don’t want it to be toooo racy
both are great headers and from our experience will make similar power.

there really isn't a bad answer as both are great usa made headers and both companies are great to deal with

just gotta decide if you want nick or chris to have your $, and which vendor (us :) ) to sell them to you.

not a bad decision either way

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang