More noob questions

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
So guys, I need some help.
I've been to the strip a few times now and both me and the car aren't performing to the best of our abilities...
Local track is 1/8th mile, so I'm aiming to improve that rather than the 1/4.
Best time so far - 8.2, best MPH 93, best 60ft 1.8
None of those have occurred in the same run :doh:

The car:
LT headers, 3" custom system, Lund e85 tune, AirAid CAI, M6 with 3.55s
Currently running Federal 595 RSRR semi slicks 275/35/19 (cos they were cheap and available at short notice)
Rear camber is set at -1.8 degrees

The single biggest issue I'm having is launching. My best runs are in normal mode, TC on. It'll lay 8.2s all day like that. Can't even think about using LC cos 3,000 rpm will just turn the tyres into snot.
The second issue is the reduced circumference of the tyres, putting me right up near 7,200 at the 1/8th. Changing gear is slower...

Questions:
If I swap to something like a 17" wheel with say a MT ET SS, will it work properly with -1.8 in the rear or am I really leaving something on the table there?
In terms of fitment, what do you guys recommend? As in, wheel width and tyre.

Also, car is on AirLift. Are there any tricks I can use to help with the launch?
All I really want to do is go sub 8 seconds, not looking to set the world on fire just yet.

Any advice appreciated :cheers:
Sponsored

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
You should launch your car higher in the rev range especially that you have modded tires i would turn off all traction control nanys and rev it to 5000rpms and do a quick slip. You will see the difference.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
You should launch your car higher in the rev range especially that you have modded tires i would turn off all traction control nanys and rev it to 5000rpms and do a quick slip. You will see the difference.
Thanks for the advice mate. Unfortunately, all I get with higher revs is more spin, wheel hop and slower times.
I'm kinda thinking that the semi slicks don't offer any more grip than the P Zeros they replace.

66sprint6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base GT PP
Ide kill for a 1.8 60 as I sit. Pay attention to your run. Slip the clutch off the line, see if you can raise the RPM but slip the clutch a tad and get the 60's down. THEN look at the 1-2 shift. Does it wheel hop/spin or just chirp the tires? If its spinning or hopping, drop the rpm you shift at. Some nights I can get away with 6800 or so, but most of the time I have to shift closer to 6200 to not spin and in doing so, my times get quicker. I also ride 3rd thru the end of the track. Picked up 2 tenths by not shifting 4th. Keep at it. Im also chasing a 7.9 slip as we speak!

Matt

JmalB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Dodge NSRT-4, 2015 Mustang GT PP
First thing is those Federal tires are not semi slicks. They are only UHP tires. So a step down from the Pirelli P Zeros, which are MP tires. But a 1.8 60ft is still quite good.

If you are in a manual car and you go to the MT ET SS tires you're going to want to upgrade you half shafts as well. Drag radials like that give you great traction, but don't offer the tire flex a full on drag slick gives you. It puts a lot of stress on the drive train. And the axles are a weak link in the chain.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Ide kill for a 1.8 60 as I sit. Pay attention to your run. Slip the clutch off the line, see if you can raise the RPM but slip the clutch a tad and get the 60's down. THEN look at the 1-2 shift. Does it wheel hop/spin or just chirp the tires? If its spinning or hopping, drop the rpm you shift at. Some nights I can get away with 6800 or so, but most of the time I have to shift closer to 6200 to not spin and in doing so, my times get quicker. I also ride 3rd thru the end of the track. Picked up 2 tenths by not shifting 4th. Keep at it. Im also chasing a 7.9 slip as we speak!

Matt
Thanks Matt. Yeah, the change into second will vary from wheelspin to just a chirp. I've been taking I think to near the limiter (7,200). May look at a short shift. :cheers:
Getting a decent clutch slip happening is probably the hardest bit. Not sure if all cars are the same, but mine has about 10mm of pedal travel from disengaged to fully engaged. VERY hair-trigger style. Hard to modulate.
I'll giv it a crack. Thanks.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
First thing is those Federal tires are not semi slicks. They are only UHP tires. So a step down from the Pirelli P Zeros, which are MP tires. But a 1.8 60ft is still quite good.

If you are in a manual car and you go to the MT ET SS tires you're going to want to upgrade you half shafts as well. Drag radials like that give you great traction, but don't offer the tire flex a full on drag slick gives you. It puts a lot of stress on the drive train. And the axles are a weak link in the chain.
Would I need to be looking at half shafts if I use a proper drag slick?
Car is literally DD/kiddie collector/part time fun machine, I really don't want to break it :doh:

JmalB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Dodge NSRT-4, 2015 Mustang GT PP
I think it's debatable. Doesn't really hurt to err on the side of caution and get them anyway.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Your 93mph trap says a lot. You have enough there to hit some 7.5-7.6 1/8ths.

The sticky tire will get you there. Just be mindful of the axles.

My best is a 8.31. I am after a 7 as well. Good luck to us all. I am getting Hoosier D60's this week. LOL

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Your 93mph trap says a lot. You have enough there to hit some 7.5-7.6 1/8ths.

The sticky tire will get you there. Just be mindful of the axles.

My best is a 8.31. I am after a 7 as well. Good luck to us all. I am getting Hoosier D60's this week. LOL
Thanks Kevin. Seems I'm not the only one struggling a bit. :headbonk:
Looks like I'll be needing to spend some more dollars to reach the goal AND be able to drive home afterwards :ninja:

WestCyril

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 5.0
I would stay away from a radial at the track unless you have halfshafts or know how to slip the clutch/ride it out. A radial is very hard on a cars drivetrain especially stick cars. Plenty of bolt on stick cars breaking halfshafts and burning up clutches on a drag radial. I would recommend a bias ply et street in 17 or a NT05R/NT55R in a 18,19,20 inch size. Will improve traction, but not be so rough on drivetrain.
Sponsored