Sponsored

Race Star owners, chime in.

Phoenix

Instagram: PhoenixNFA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech AvGrey/Black Stripes
do your front wheels go on easy? mine i have a hell of a time trying to get on my car. its like the lug nuts wont engage the threads on the lugs or the lugs arent long enough. rears seem to go on like cake, its just the fronts i have problems with.

just me?
Sponsored

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
I have trouble with the skinnies too. I use the open end lug nut and washer kit from Racestar. I noticed a lug nut will fit tight or loose in the wheel depending on the lug hole. Probably poor wheel tolerances. Some lug nuts get stuck in the wheel when trying to remove them too. Not fun to install or remove, but they shed a lot of weight.

perfweld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
I have them, they have been a PIA as well. I fixed the issues by grinding the outer diameter of the lug nut washer about .100 or so. It let the washers not get stuck in the wheel, so the lug nuts came right out. I change wheels back and forth a lot and I was fighting it, drove me crazy wasting time. Basically just make the outer diameter of the washer square and make sure each washer goes in and out of the wheel nicely. I also use a little white grease on the threads and both sides of the washer as well. I always re torque these wheels after a 50 mile drive as well. Remember these are cheap ass Chinese wheels and lugs, so you gotta fine tune them a bit. Life has been much easier after doing all of above.

OP
OP
Phoenix

Phoenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1847017&posted=1#post1847017

found this as well. the TL;DR is that some front hubs are larger than normal and maybe due to tolerance stacking, im having issues. my SVE Series 3 wheels dont want to come off my car either, so im going to measure when i get some free time and see what i can do.

i talked to one of the guys from LMR at a car show this weekend and he has the 18" ones. they apparently use acorn lug nuts and his go one super easy he said. makes me wish i didnt buy the set i did and now i cant get rid of them.

[MENTION=21658]perfweld[/MENTION], your ecobeast is faster than my GT....im crying in a corner now.

RomanB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
I had some issues too initially, when the wheel is on the studs there is a little bit of play because the lug nut actually slips through the wheel. Make sure the stud is centered in the hole. Start the first lug nut, but do not tighten it down, start the second (you might have to wiggle the wheel a little) on the opposite side but do not tighten down. The other three should be easy to start.

Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
I didn't realize how shitty the quality is on these before buying. Didn't do my research and assumed they were made on the USA, and not chinese junk. I also had to reduce the OD on the washers to keep from getting stuck in the wheels.

Exactly as Roman said it takes some wiggling to get them all lined up with the shanks on the lug nuts. Mine have a particularly shitty "polish" on them. Didn't even get the casting pores sanded out before polishing them.

Edit: to be fair I suppose I got what I paid for as they are hella cheap relative.

Last edited:

perfweld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1847017&posted=1#post1847017

found this as well. the TL;DR is that some front hubs are larger than normal and maybe due to tolerance stacking, im having issues. my SVE Series 3 wheels dont want to come off my car either, so im going to measure when i get some free time and see what i can do.

i talked to one of the guys from LMR at a car show this weekend and he has the 18" ones. they apparently use acorn lug nuts and his go one super easy he said. makes me wish i didnt buy the set i did and now i cant get rid of them.

[MENTION=21658]perfweld[/MENTION], your ecobeast is faster than my GT....im crying in a corner now.
LOL, at least your car dosent sound like shit and you don't have quietly mumble under your breath that you have a 4 cylinder in your Mustang and cower your head a bit when you call it an ecoboost LOL.

OP
OP
Phoenix

Phoenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LOL, at least your car dosent sound like shit and you don't have quietly mumble under your breath that you have a 4 cylinder in your Mustang and cower your head a bit when you call it an ecoboost LOL.
nah thats when you just go "you think that GT can beat this little ecoboost?"

and then put 4 lengths on them. :lol:

perfweld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
nah thats when you just go "you think that GT can beat this little ecoboost?"

and then put 4 lengths on them. :lol:
I really like that you and I can laugh about the eco verses the coyote saga. I say its all good, I like them both. I had twin turbo V8s with carbs in the early 90s, so I thought the turbo would be fun, this is my 1st 4 cylinder, kinda wish I had done a Coyote twin turbo now, but it is what it is.

OP
OP
Phoenix

Phoenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I really like that you and I can laugh about the eco verses the coyote saga. I say its all good, I like them both. I had twin turbo V8s with carbs in the early 90s, so I thought the turbo would be fun, this is my 1st 4 cylinder, kinda wish I had done a Coyote twin turbo now, but it is what it is.
same. i love what the ecoboost has brought to the mustang.

it could be that my previous 3 cars have all been hondas......:frusty: and that i may be buying a honda this week as well :clap2:
Sponsored