Sponsored

Window Tints in NY

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
I did the inspection, lol. The car i inspected did not have tint, i used the meter i bought as per the new rules, tested at 78% light through. No tint will technically pass, but my point was that it is the inspectors discretion to tell the computer, unlike failing for obd2 reasons which is directly linked to dmv...
Sponsored

jkstang78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I did the inspection, lol. The car i inspected did not have tint, i used the meter i bought as per the new rules, tested at 78% light through. No tint will technically pass, but my point was that it is the inspectors discretion to tell the computer, unlike failing for obd2 reasons which is directly linked to dmv...
HMMMMM very interesting. Thanks for this bit of information

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt
wow, i wonder if you can get in trouble for just passing cars with tint...this law went into effect jan 1?

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
I think this is good news.

I know my mechanic runs an honest business so I won't bother asking him to pass me because I don't want to sour our relationship, but it seems there's hope for other less than honest mechanics to pass us.

Silver50Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 PP Ingot Silver
Unless the cops are sitting there outside the inspection shop and watch a guy with tints get passed there's nothing they can do. Who's to say a guy gets passed with no tints and goes and gets them tinted 20 min later? They can't prove a shop passed someone with tints , it's a bs law and probably 1 in 10 cars have their windows tinted

Sponsored

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
anyone else go through the process?

Need to start figuring out my options, due at the end of April.

jordystang69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Lightning Blue
such bs. NY front plates + no tint now.

I believe its just the 2 front windows, not the little quater windows + rear. So just would need to get the 2 windows stripped then retinted. Atleast the rear defrosters don't have to get tampered with removing the tint.

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Pretty sure it's also the quarter windows. Only rear windows that can be tinted are on SUVs. Funny enough, there's a bill in progress right now that's trying to take that away too.

I was reading on a Hellcat forum and someone said the new law makes it a non-ticketable offense, meaning LEO can't ticket for it anymore...basically NYS gave all responsibility to the DMV/inspection and away from LEO. I'd rather that honestly, only have to worry about them once a year haha.

Boosted5.0_NY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium w/ Performance Package
I think this is good news.

I know my mechanic runs an honest business so I won't bother asking him to pass me because I don't want to sour our relationship, but it seems there's hope for other less than honest mechanics to pass us.
I would think the mechanic feels the same and doesn't want to piss off a good customer. He has to know that you would go elsewhere if he he didn't pass you and that may end up with you not going back.

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
I would think the mechanic feels the same and doesn't want to piss off a good customer. He has to know that you would go elsewhere if he he didn't pass you and that may end up with you not going back.
Generally, that's probably true..definitely depends on the customer. Me personally, I'll go back. I just feel weird asking him.

Sponsored

BCeagle08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT DIB PP 6MT Navi 401A.
My wife has been going to the same shop for 15 years and they wouldn't pass her without removing the front tints.

70% is no tint whatsoever. There are cars that come from the dealership brand new that will fail a tint test because of the UV coatings that manufacturers put on their windows now.

I also was wondering how the state audits inspections for compliance with the new window tint law. Do they have video cameras in the inspection shop to do remote audits?

Boosted5.0_NY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium w/ Performance Package
My wife has been going to the same shop for 15 years and they wouldn't pass her without removing the front tints.

70% is no tint whatsoever. There are cars that come from the dealership brand new that will fail a tint test because of the UV coatings that manufacturers put on their windows now.

I also was wondering how the state audits inspections for compliance with the new window tint law. Do they have video cameras in the inspection shop to do remote audits?
I'm real sorry to hear that, not only for you but everyone else who's going to have to deal with the same crap. What did you end up doing, removed the tint?

mu5tang2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB 3.7L
One thing that occurred to me.... Side windows ARE NOT required to pass NYS inspection...... This is completely a MONEY GRAB. Cars with no side windows AT ALL pass all the time... So my idea was roll windows down, pull relay. oh they don't go up? so what technically they don't need side windows to pass? Anyone think that will work?

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
One thing that occurred to me.... Side windows ARE NOT required to pass NYS inspection...... This is completely a MONEY GRAB. Cars with no side windows AT ALL pass all the time... So my idea was roll windows down, pull relay. oh they don't go up? so what technically they don't need side windows to pass? Anyone think that will work?
No. They are required to test the tint. Trust me, no one is happy about this. Its not a money grab for the shop, unless they sell a tint removal service, and thats a time consuming pain in the butt job that you dont make money on anyways..