Sponsored

Painting Calipers

DoCtA.FlAkE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium in DIB w/ PP and Premier Trim
Just ordered Ruby Red paint from Stage 3 Motorsports if you want to save a few bucks. $95 shipped with discount code S3M005
Sponsored

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
Painted Calipers...

G2 Ruby Red color. Was a little worried about putting it up on the jack stands since I'd never done that before, but with the Steeda rails, it worked like a charm with 4 3-ton per jack stands (Torin, bought at Lowe's). I was a little disappointed in the brake cleaner they supplied. It still left some residue on the brakes even after using the entire can, so I went over them with some Isopropyl alcohol before painting. The paint went on nice and smooth, though it took forever to harden. I've worked with a lot of epoxy paints (marine yards and boats), and normally within 4-6 hours it's a rock. The can didn't even get thick until that night. But the paint on the calipers started setting up quickly.

Did 3 coats, 1st was light as per instructions, 2nd and hour later and 3rd I slathered it on 2 hours after the 2nd coat. Still had enough paint left for another full coat, but I didn't do the entire opposite side of the calipers since you can't see it anyway, just around the edges where it's visible. Stickers fit OK, I wish I had gotten 4 of the smaller ponies so I could have put one on the bottom of each of the rear calipers.

Let me know if the pictures don't work, they're publicly shared off a Google Photos album. I like this red, it's nice and dark so it doesn't look...blingy...over the DIB.

T0L-7fsJOYoWw0tu3yDyeGg1eiYOFima95fbRAbhSKiUFz-ZD4cVF_Np1yZjzhWoPI1sE8QLoW8_7xErDQw=w640-h360-no.jpg

bDcbRf07WcjbNAtgdpXx6gfxTj8CHf3K0ZdBRZ_D82Un-A_ccNNVwFbjTvURamE72WtKC2eh9300SmNRF3A=w360-h640-no.jpg

Wc53-EJrVAn2NxQxflgT5gNQ16G-5atanDfuPpotFnoKe1A7eZXxzDv8t9ph6GzeH8uNVkq0ZgRW4Ny2WdQ=w360-h640-no.jpg

hXjoWe5QqENGKr4wuAYA-Pujx3Y91oxbgbzfDzbBWJSwS__J78E61rN91RF_KKM5BnNM-DUz5ivGC4ci_BA=w640-h360-no.jpg

Zimm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6
Just painted mine over the weekend. Waiting for wheels to come back from powder coating and I'll post up some pics. Overall they turned out really well with the G2 kit.

RoninRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Prem. (PP) Magnetic
G2 Ruby Red color. Was a little worried about putting it up on the jack stands since I'd never done that before, but with the Steeda rails, it worked like a charm with 4 3-ton per jack stands (Torin, bought at Lowe's). I was a little disappointed in the brake cleaner they supplied. It still left some residue on the brakes even after using the entire can, so I went over them with some Isopropyl alcohol before painting. The paint went on nice and smooth, though it took forever to harden. I've worked with a lot of epoxy paints (marine yards and boats), and normally within 4-6 hours it's a rock. The can didn't even get thick until that night. But the paint on the calipers started setting up quickly.

Did 3 coats, 1st was light as per instructions, 2nd and hour later and 3rd I slathered it on 2 hours after the 2nd coat. Still had enough paint left for another full coat, but I didn't do the entire opposite side of the calipers since you can't see it anyway, just around the edges where it's visible. Stickers fit OK, I wish I had gotten 4 of the smaller ponies so I could have put one on the bottom of each of the rear calipers.

Let me know if the pictures don't work, they're publicly shared off a Google Photos album. I like this red, it's nice and dark so it doesn't look...blingy...over the DIB.

More shots please as I'm interested in this color for calipers but fear it may be too dark for my magnetic

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP Ruby Red
More shots please as I'm interested in this color for calipers but fear it may be too dark for my magnetic
A few pics of mine. :cheers:
IMG_0592.JPG
IMG_0600.jpg

Sponsored

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
If you think it might be too dark, you might just want to go with their base red. With the DIB, I didn't want anything too bright or it just sticks out too much. With a darker base color like black/magnetic, you can get into the bright red/greens/yellows and get a nice contrast.

Weather is supposed to be shit for the next week here but I'll snap a few more photos for you when I can.

DoCtA.FlAkE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium in DIB w/ PP and Premier Trim
Did you guys still have the OEM Brembo lettering still showing after 3 coats? I bought letters off ebay, but the size of the letters don't match up.

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP Ruby Red
Did you guys still have the OEM Brembo lettering still showing after 3 coats? I bought letters off ebay, but the size of the letters don't match up.
After three coats of the G2, the Brembo letters were completely covered.

And like you, the Brembo high heat decals that I ordered were a bit smaller than the OEM lettering.

It was no big deal for me. :cheers:

LucaGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I have Ruby red car... I am debating between going yellow or black. Any picture of red Ruby s550 with yellow calipers?

RoninRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Prem. (PP) Magnetic
Anyone know how much I can expect to be charged for my calipers to get painted with G2 air brush style at a pro shop? Talking scraping the old paint off and the whole nine

Sponsored

kwpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1
painted mine Race Blue which matches Lightning Blue very well

:love:
DSC_6544.jpg
DSC_6542.jpg
DSC_6538.jpg

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
[MENTION=21272]kwpony[/MENTION] is that G2 or something else? I know that G2 will color match your paint code, but not sure what color to go with for my lighning blue...color match or something else...not black though since my wheels are black :shrug:

kwpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1
5.0 SD. Not sure what G2 is. The detail shop that painted mine uses brake caliper paint from Foliatec. The color is RS Blue. Foliatec has a web sight and has shops worldwide according to web sight. :thumbsup:

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue