2015 GT auto
Sub'd for posterity

sldghmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP (x2), 2016 F-150 XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Very nice... I think it came out really well. I'm going to tackle this myself, you've given me great motivation. Going to use the foglight holes however....

Sponsored

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
Did you decide what pads you're going with?

Wally-Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wally-Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem PP 50AP
WOW, exactly what I was thinking to do Cop On My Back !!!

I did experience brake fade, albeit only slightly once while racing. The ambient air temperature in the shade that day was a HOT 98°F. Likewise I don’t want to lose the fog lamps and IMO the location in the lower valance grill has a little higher pressure air available than the fog lamp location.
I would start by departing with the 50th Anniversary lower valance grill and modify the standard grill. (need p/n) I prefer the look of this one as well.

Now a few ?’s
Do you suppose the fog lamp replacement air inlets would be suitable (glued and modified) in lieu of your sheet metal fabricated inlets?
What would you have done differently if you were to start over from scratch again?
Do you have plans for rear ducting?
Any plans of starting a small side business offering your kit?
1024x640_IMG_6001.jpg

OP
OP
cop on my back

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I don't think the fog light kit would work in the grill location. There are odd angles and curves. Having said that, I would have to look at a kit to see if it was possible.

I wouldn't have changed a thing if I did it again

Rear ducting would be cool, but I don't think it is nessasary for just HPDE use.

I cannot sell kits as I work for the government and this was made for just me once I designed it. A perk for where I work.

Last edited:

gtorpedo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
Reviving an old thread here, but wanted to share how I used my lower grill inlets for the cooling ducts as well.

I've been using the FTBR fog light brake cooling kit, but I wanted to adapt the kit to utilize the lower grill inlet much like shown in this thread. A couple advantages of this location vs. the fog light inlet are 1) you retain fog lights 2) the lower grill inlet is closer to the center of the car and just above the splitter, which should produce a much higher pressure area 3) more efficient routing of the hoses (less bends results in higher flow).

On to the solution...

With some tips from Tim [MENTION=22413]Optimum Performance[/MENTION] I purchased a pair of these ducts from Amazon - roughly $40
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006K8K7TU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Only a slight amount of trimming was needed around the top and inside edge...

I used a few L brackets to secure the duct using the exisiting bumper fasterers as a mounting point, then used racers tape to completely seal off the duct to the lower inlet...

And completed project...

Pretty easy project, minimal fabrication/modification and they don't look bad either.

While I never experienced any brake fade with the original FTBR setup, my hope is that the improved cooling should help prolong pad/rotor life. I will report back after my upcoming weekend at VIR on March 4-5th.

Sponsored

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Thanks gtorpedo - great idea!

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Here is my setup using 4" to 3" vent reducers.

I still have to paint them and get hose. I am using the FTBR backing plates.

OP
OP
cop on my back

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Nice work guys. I agree closer to the center of the car should be a higher pressure, especially if using a splitter, to get more air to the brakes. I had no issues with heat after a total of 3.25 hours in one day on track. I can't say the same for the factory tires, they were obliterated.

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Wow..this is a really cool thread.

I was looking at the FTBR shields and they look like they provide much less heat-shielding compared to the ones OP fabricated:
FT%209215.jpg
Sponsored