NEW SYNC 3.0 Build 20204 Nav Android Auto/Apple Carplay

mkenny28

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT Premium Convertible
so its not just a plug and play install?
Oops sorry, I should have posted that I have a 2015 with a retrofit Sync 3 in it. Sorry about the confusion; totally my fault and I will edit my post to reflect it. Both part numbers I listed should work in a 2016 while retaining the front USB port.
Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
i just called walt sweeney ford and they said this is in stock (GJ7Z-19A387-B); so i ordered this and when i asked about the front usb port he said to only connect the gray cable and not the black cable and the front usb should work fine; i changed my order over to that one and he processed it immediately; just recv'd my tracking info too
It won't.

See my previous posts, there are two, completely separate USB connections, one from the HU to the [in console] hub that sends data to that port (black), then a second connection (gray) that connects the front port to the hub (and to the HU through the hub). The additional wide gray connector with two wires is the power supply for the hub/ports.

The front port is only wired into that gray harness, without that connection, it's just sitting there so to speak.

That part will have two ports right on the console hub itself.

Bill88stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt 6 speed manual
Ok got two USB thumb drives to make it easier for me lol one loaded with one auto install last file and the sny my ride folder. On one and one on the other . Can I screw something up loading this or will it tell me there was a error if something is not right on the USB? And are we plugging this into the front USB port or the one in the arm rest. Does this not make the front port function anymore? I thought I remember someone saying the front port stopped working. Speaking of the USB ports I saw a picture of the correct ones needed to get my apple play to function I see it has two built in. Does that replace the one under the radio?

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB PP CO, 97 Pathfinder 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Ok got two USB thumb drives to make it easier for me lol one loaded with one auto install last file and the sny my ride folder. On one and one on the other . Can I screw something up loading this or will it tell me there was a error if something is not right on the USB? And are we plugging this into the front USB port or the one in the arm rest. Does this not make the front port function anymore? I thought I remember someone saying the front port stopped working. Speaking of the USB ports I saw a picture of the correct ones needed to get my apple play to function I see it has two built in. Does that replace the one under the radio?
Mine didn't experience any errors so I can't say for sure if it will tell you if something's wrong, but this is a pretty painless process and I haven't read about anyone having errors messing up their systems. I initially tried plugging it into the armrest USB and nothing happened, so I plugged into the front USB and it worked fine. Just make sure the car is running the entire time and it will tell you when each update is done. Of course, make sure you turn the car off between the two updates. Like I said, it's pretty painless. You can even drive the car while updating. I actually ran the first update while driving to work and the second on the drive home. :)

Also, I have no idea how replacing hardware and/or running Apple affects the existing ports (I have an android phone), but my front port still works fine. I've been using it to run android auto from my phone.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
I would only use one of the USB thumb drives. After you install the first part, reformat that same drive and use it to install the second part (remember, the 2 part upgrade is only for non-nav sync 3 units). You need to wait between the parts anyway. I even took a trip between installs to make sure all of the post-processing had been completed.

The USB module you've seen is for F150s, Escapes, &c. The Mustang part only has one outward USB port. The CarPlay compliant hub will replace the one in the armrest bin and the front port will remain fully functional.

If you use the F150 part the front port will become nothing more than a lint collector. No data, no power.

Sponsored

OP
OP
HizliBullet

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
anyone notice when you hit 'Scan Now' for updates, the date doesnt get changed in ford owner account? maybe because the official update hasnt released yet its not registering

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
anyone notice when you hit 'Scan Now' for updates, the date doesnt get changed in ford owner account? maybe because the official update hasnt released yet its not registering
All of us that installed this update will get blacklisted ... eventually they'll send us an update that nukes the the head unit.

:lol:

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
All of us that installed this update will get blacklisted ... eventually they'll send us an update that nukes the the head unit.

No, the update will disable the brakes and apply full throttle the next time the car exceeds 65 MPH (they just modified some code they got from from Dennis Hopper for cheap).

Sponsored

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB PP CO, 97 Pathfinder 4x4
Vehicle Showcase

If so, that would be the first time Ford has sent me an update of any kind! :D

mkenny28

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT Premium Convertible
OP
OP
HizliBullet

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
LOL you guys are hilarious :lol:

Limitedcool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
Part

The HU5Z-19A387-A is what I ordered. I believe it is a part for a 2017 Focus, but I'm not 100% on that. It is now listed as a discontinued part.

I also have the part from the 2017 Mustang arriving in 6 days. I'm expecting these parts to be identical down to the color of the ring... I guess we'll see. Since the Mustang part has already shipped, I plan to verify the operation of both parts and I'll probably sell the HU5Z-19A387-A.
Hey do you think we can have the part number and where you purchased the part for the 2017 Mustang please?

Thanks

I've been following this thread because of you to see if it works!
Sponsored