Installed hood pins

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
The S550 could benefit from hood pins for 2 other reasons. Many of these hoods have gaps on either ends near the head lights, I know mine does. I've tried lowering the hood latch and the bumper to lower the hood ends, not good. The problem with that is the center has to be too low to get the ends to be flush. Now If I have the latch back up so the center of the hood is flush with the fascia the only way to lesson the gap on the ends is to turn the rubber stops down so they just touch, but this still leaves a gap. The problem with that is the hood floats around and move way too much at speeds over 60MPH. Seems the hood is just not shaped correctly being the ends to high, now if I push down on the ends near the lights slightly it becomes flush and looks correct. So for many of us with gap problems hood pins could serve 3 purposes. The original purpose being it secures the hood from coming open under high speeds, and now the other 2 being if the latches or pins are on the ends near the lights it can pull down the ends and make the hood gaps now flush. And lastly it should also stop any of that hood dancing around business at speeds that so many of us experience.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow Mustang GT
I love the hood pins! I've been wanting to add a set to my car but I'm terrified about drilling my hood. Could you post pics of the locations of where everything went? It would be nice to have a guide to follow from someone that has already done it with great success.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

M151A2

Skinny old dude
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emmett
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
After watching my hood flapping at the corners, slightly above the speed limit, I have considered these.
Do they work well?

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
After watching my hood flapping at the corners, slightly above the speed limit, I have considered these.
Do they work well?
Nothing attached my friend.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Do you have clear film on front fascia? If not, I wonder how long it will take for the pin cables to wear through the clearcoat and paint?

M151A2

Skinny old dude
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emmett
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Just installed the Drake hood pins. It was a bit scary at first, but turned out just fine. The directions have you bolt the pins through the plastic radiator cover. Didn't make sinse to me so I oversized those holes so that it would fit over the pin nuts.
I also deleted the cables as even though plastic coated, no doubt eventually would wear something.
If it wasn't raining, I would drive to Mexico and get a bit over 100 and see if the hood still tries to fly.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Just installed the Drake hood pins. It was a bit scary at first, but turned out just fine. The directions have you bolt the pins through the plastic radiator cover. Didn't make sinse to me so I oversized those holes so that it would fit over the pin nuts.
I also deleted the cables as even though plastic coated, no doubt eventually would wear something.
If it wasn't raining, I would drive to Mexico and get a bit over 100 and see if the hood still tries to fly.
Pix required...;)

Sponsored

M151A2

Skinny old dude
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emmett
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Man, you guys are killing me! I have no idea how to post a pix on this.
Good at word, excell, and a few other programs but never took the time to learn how to load a photo on a site like this. Sucks to be a skinny old guy.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I have hood pins on my 95 race car. I can tell you from experience. They will eventually scratch your paint. But they do look cool OP.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Man, you guys are killing me! I have no idea how to post a pix on this.
Good at word, excell, and a few other programs but never took the time to learn how to load a photo on a site like this. Sucks to be a skinny old guy.
Using a PC, post the pic on a pic site and link it to your thread, in a nutshell.
Not sure using a phone...

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
I have hood pins on my 95 race car. I can tell you from experience. They will eventually scratch your paint. But they do look cool OP.
Had them on 69...as it came with them back in the day. Installed corrected they should not get your paint. That's what the metal plates are for.
:cheers:
Sponsored