Sponsored

Video: How to Install Reverse/Backup LED Bulb! Great Upgrade For 2015+ Mustangs!

OP
OP
Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost
How does the XP80 compare to this one?
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-3157LEDC/2015-Mustang-LED-Reverse-Light-Bulb

I asked LMR via email and they said it was 850 lumens.
Ah... sorry, but here comes a bit of a rant:

It's not 850 lumens. Probably not even close, based on that design. I test dozens of random bulbs every day, and that bulb is maybe going to be around 300 lumens after it warms up. I don't blame them though, as they are not a lighting company. They just reading the spec sheet from the manufacturer, which is 100% marketing, not true measurements of output.

The problem is, most sellers just provide these inflated lumen numbers, based on the maximum potential brightness of the LED chips on the bulb. For example, if a bulb has five 100-lumen chips, they will rate it at 500 lumens. However, this is not accurate, as the design of an LED bulb does not get rid of heat fast enough to run the LEDs at maximum. You would need the heatsink the size of a toaster to run an LED at 100% power.

These "calculated" lumen ratings are much, much higher than the true, measured light output, so it will look like competitors' bulbs are brighter than ours. This is because we do not provide inflated numbers; we believe it is misleading. We test the actual brightness of the bulbs in our lab, to provide real lumen output measurements. Our measurements are accurate, but they are usually much lower than the misleading "calculated" figures.

Home lighting, in the hardware store, is regulated by law to state the exact true lumen output. However, in the automotive world, there's tons of misleading information, because companies know that most individuals have no way to verify, so they just inflate their numbers. It's just marketing. We test our bulbs with scientific equipment, and we do not inflate our numbers.

I can 100% guarantee you that our XP80 is the brightest plug-and-play bulb on the market for this application, with a true output of 510 lumens after reaching peak operating temperature. We spent a lot of time and money to be able to run our bulb at higher current.

There is a lot that goes into bulb design, especially when you are trying to reach peak performance. Anyone can throw together LEDs, but you need to know what you are doing to really get a quality design. Here's a video showing a very common issue with generic bulbs- they will drop in current and actual brightness after only a few seconds of illumination, because they are getting way too hot.

[ame]

Here is how we actually measure our bulbs. It's a little dry, so hang in there- but you will learn how lighting is supposed to be measured. Anyone can throw a random lumen figure out there, we do the measurement. The only other aftermarket company in the US that actually does measurements is Superbrightleds.

Sorry for making this such a big rant, but I spend all day, every day, developing quality lighting products. Other companies simply buy and resell random, cheap bulbs, and throw misleading marketing terms on it, and consumers are the ones paying for it in the end, because it's very difficult to tell what is good and what is bad until the bulb fails at some point. I wish there were as many integrating spheres as dynos, can you imagine a performance company inflating their numbers? Unfortunately, it's just how things work right now. Thanks for reading.

[ame]
Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Well a better answer couldn't be given than that one right there. So glad I ordered my interior kit with vanity and reverse bulbs from you. Looking forward to getting them..... and my freakin car!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alterbrett

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Installed HP11 bulb today. Great upgrade. Should of came from the factory like that. Just as described slightly brighter then stock. I wanted an OEM look. Love it!
exhaust4.jpg
exhaust5.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416785430.203966.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416785447.005623.jpg

Sponsored

ThatsMrGimp2U

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Everette
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang (Oxford White, PP)
I just ordered all the bulbs you sell for this car, and I don't have it yet... Well done! Lol

anotherneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' base GT w/3.55s
anyone have pics of what it looks like through the back up camera at night/day?

OP
OP
Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost
anyone have pics of what it looks like through the back up camera at night/day?
The camera will adjust automatically to the brightness, but it will make the picture sharper as there is more usable output.

It can appear a little fuzzy with the factory incandescent bulbs

Nick C.

OP
OP
Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost
Installed HP11 bulb today. Great upgrade. Should of came from the factory like that. Just as described slightly brighter then stock. I wanted an OEM look. Love it!
exhaust4.jpg
exhaust5.jpg
Looking good!!

And I see you bought your 2015 from my friends at Rob Sight Ford! They are the only dealer I'll take my 2007 GT to

Hopefully I'll see you at some shows in KC next summer :thumbsup:

Nick C.

alterbrett

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Looking good!!

And I see you bought your 2015 from my friends at Rob Sight Ford! They are the only dealer I'll take my 2007 GT to

Hopefully I'll see you at some shows in KC next summer :thumbsup:

Nick C.
Yeah they are great there. This is my second car from them. Very relaxed place and I love their straight forward pricing. Highly recommend.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost
Yeah they are great there. This is my second car from them. Very relaxed place and I love their straight forward pricing. Highly recommend.
That's what I like to hear!

:ford:

Nick C.

Ugly John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT PP
I'm an engineer, and I love that you offer the technical discussion on what you do, why you do it, and why your product is superior to others.

I will pay for quality, and these discussions let me know that I am, in fact, buying quality and not just advertising hype. Keep it up!

Btw, just checked tracking, and the order I placed Friday should be at the house today (Monday). Awesome!

OP
OP
Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost
I'm an engineer, and I love that you offer the technical discussion on what you do, why you do it, and why your product is superior to others.

I will pay for quality, and these discussions let me know that I am, in fact, buying quality and not just advertising hype. Keep it up!

Btw, just checked tracking, and the order I placed Friday should be at the house today (Monday). Awesome!
Thank you John!

We will also be including more specific technical information when we launch our new website in January :thumbsup:

Nick C.