Sponsored

Troubleshooting your suspension.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
A few of you may find some of these tips handy, so I thought I'd share it for the greater good of the forum :thumbsup:
After I installed all my bits I had no problems whatsoever. Everything operated as it should, no noises, nothing to complain about....
Recently the car developed a strange sound in the rear, seemed to be getting a little worse over time. Both sides seemed to suffer from it.
Did the usual trick of checking tensions everywhere, looking for any clash points etc. No good.
This sound was kind of like a creak or an oil-canning type noise. Hard to describe. It was only audible at idle speed, any amount of throttle made the exhaust too loud to hear it.

The solution:
Jacked the car, removed the wheels, placed jack stands under the rear jacking points.
This next bit is where air-bags make it heaps easier, but you can still do it with springs if you can remove them.
Let all air out of rear bags, place jack under LCA spring seat and cycle the suspension through its range of motion, listening the whole time.

NOTE: I left the sway bar connected because the sound wasn't isolated to one side. Others may do better with it disconnected, just saying.

The noise immediately popped up. Hard part was to isolate the "where" :paddle:
In my case, the spherical bearings on both the BMR toe-rods and the Ford Racing Toe/knuckle bearing had seized slightly.
The sound I was hearing was the bearing binding/releasing, binding/releasing.
Hence, it was transmitting that sound into the underbody of the car.

Used some dry spray lube to get the rubbish out of them, cycled the suspension all good. Test drive revealed no further issue. Massive win. :headbang:

So, for all you people running spherical bearings ANYWHERE in your car, I'd suggest that they are the go-to location if you are having any weirdness happening. :cheers:
Sponsored

12baller12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ciaran
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT Fastback
Vehicle Showcase
Great tip. I'd seen a few of the US guys mention this after installing spherical bearings. Seems interesting that they're prone to sticking.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Great tip. I'd seen a few of the US guys mention this after installing spherical bearings. Seems interesting that they're prone to sticking.
My only real previous experience with them is on karts. They cause NO issue whatsoever in that environment. Guess the underbody of a car isn't the ideal lace to hang out..:shrug:
Sponsored