Sponsored

2016 5.0 engine timing procedure

mustang2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
So i bought a 5.0 engine from a junkyard for a swap into my f1 it came from a 2016 mustang gt. So long story short i took the engine too a machine shop to port the heads, and install MMR oil gears. three months later i got into a heated argument as all they did was took the heads off and put them on a shelf. so i got my block and heads back and gears back from them and was wondering how to set the timing on the engine because everything is in a box in pieces. I can not find the actual procedure on how to do it, if anyone can steer me in the right direction it would be really appreciated.
Sponsored

OP
OP

mustang2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
ok that help for the first part, however is there a certain postion the cams need to be in? doesn't really say much in that video on that topic. my cams were off the head and i need to reattach the vct's and gears to the cams.

2qwk4ya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 401a, auto
If you line up the secondary chains with the line/marks on the sprockets like the video shows you. That is how you will install them on the cams. The cams will need to be rotated so the index pins line up with the sprockets so you can put the bolts in. I think the Phaser sprocket bolts are TTY and will need to be replaced. Not positive though. You may want to verify if the cam tower bolts are TTY . Then you are also going to need the torque specs for everything.

I hope all your cam tower caps are still in there original locations or your really going to have problems.

One more thing. you definitely need to replace the balancer bolt. It is TTY.

Sponsored