Sponsored

Ford vs GM Pricing...

Katastrophe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda Civic Sedan EX, 2014 Honda VFR800F
Just an odd observation...

...but why are the Camaros getting cheaper and the Mustangs getting more expensive in Canada?

I recently priced out a 2017 Shelby GT350. Zero options, as base as one can get.

$75,428 (including the $1,750 Freight/PDI)

I did the same for a 2017 Camaro ZL1. Base as well.

$70,950 (including the $1,750 Freight/PDI)

Now, I'm not going to get into a personal preference argument about which one somebody would want more...but when looking at sheer content per value...WTF?

I'm probably not looking at slapping down that kind of coin on another "fun" car for at least 1-2 years...but it does beg a few questions.

What do you guys think? If it were your money?
Sponsored

Teddy Dal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Explorer Sp, 2016 GT350R (DIB, black roof)
Well in a perfect world they would all cost less, but I feel the difference in pricing has a lot to do with that FPC motor, and the car is just more special overall, base or not. The Camaro engine is used across multiple platforms and surely nowhere near as expensive taking into account R&D development costs. It would definitely be nicer to have that difference in cost between a non base however. Let's not forget you could get any Camaro for less than sticker....they know they can charge more for the 350 because people love them that much...

OP
OP

Katastrophe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh yes, in a perfect world they would cost less...

I should have explained it more thoroughly...especially in regards to US-Cdn pricing.

In the US, you can pick up a base GT350 for $56,770 + taxes.
The ZL1 (from what I found) is $62,135 + taxes.

Completely backwards. I know GM has sliced pricing for us up north...but it almost seems like Ford did the opposite. Almost a $20K difference for the GT350 and just over $8K for the ZL1. It just surprised me on how "affordable" a ZL1 is up here compared to it's competitors...

Now I won't argue on which one I'd rather have...that smile that was plastered all over my face when we took a drive will answer that question! From a bang/buck perspective, it's just a little skewed...

...then again, I'm a cheap-ass. :)

gtaindetail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I would suggest it's the content you're after that counts. I wanted a high revving naturally aspirated engine. The ZL1 may or may not be a better car, it wasn't what I wanted. In terms of *why* the prices are what they are; what are the sales? And yes, developing an engine for one car vs. using it in multiple platforms is generally not cost effective...but it sure is fun!

The Great Gazoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Silver GT/Auto
I haven't looked at the details at all. However, oftentimes in Canada the "base" car has options bundled in that the "base" car in the USA does not. For example, when I bought my former Focus ST, I had to purchase what is the ST3 (high trim) in the USA which was the only trim sold in Canada.

Sponsored

BoostedCanadianPoney

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Antoine
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard EB PP base
Don't forget that the 2017 GT350 "base" is no longer base, it comes with the track pack as standard.... If I am not mistaken, which explains the price difrence. Base 2016 GT350 are going for 70K

OP
OP

Katastrophe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I should clarify:

It was more of an observation of the price differences between US and Canada. In the US, the GT350 is priced much more aggressively and puts it in a (relative) bargain status.

Up here, though, Ford Canada has priced it into some very deep waters. Whatever the reason or strategy is, I just don't agree with the delta between US and Cdn pricing being almost $20K...
Sponsored