ApollosWar89

Analyst
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
In the Market
In the market for a new vehicle and I'm 90% sold on the new 2018 GT premium fully loaded. Lately, I've begun to drift towards the 2017 challenger 392 Hemi scat pack shaker. I like the premium interior, style and all new features coming with the 2018 Mustang GT but the raw power and exterior of the Challenger just looks great.

I would like some feedback on why choosing the 2018 Mustang GT is the better choice and possible the pro's and con's of each in your opinion.
Sponsored

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
If you go with the Mustang it will be for objective reasons. (empirical performance) If you go with the Challenger it will be subjective. (sound, looks.. )

Look up the hard data. The Scat pack is a great car no doubt. But any power difference on behalf of the Dodge is quickly negated by the weight of it I think. I believe because of this and the high redline of the mustang GT that the Stang will be more fun to drive.

I found this thread:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73062

It may help

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The Mustang is smaller and more agile. The Challenger is softer and might be more comfortable if you like a big car. I think they are both great and you can't go wrong with either.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
When i was a youngster i had a 1970 Dodge Challenger 440 4 barrel with 4:30 gears. it was a fast car. I had cubic inch stickers on the hood but i put 340 instead of 440 so as to attract more races by opponents. It worked, i beat up on alot of cars & when the races were over i told them the truth. You would think i would follow suit with today's challenger. Well a buddy of mine way back when took me for a ride in his 1970 boss 302 with 4:10 gears and a 4 speed. It was the fastest car i had ever been in back then. All that power from a little 302. well the rest is history, I'm on my 4th mustang, and i dont think i will drive anything else!

Taneras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Auto 3.55 GT
With regards to acceleration:

2017 Challenger 392 Scat Pack - 485hp @ 4279lbs 8.8lbs per hp
2018 Mustang GT Premium - 455(?)hp @ 3825lbs 8.4lbs per hp

I wouldn't consider the 392 Scat Pack superior with regards to acceleration, even if it is it'd be by the smallest of margins.

No clue on the bells and whistles, the only notable category I'd put the Challenger ahead of the Mustang is interior space. I'm sure it's a nice cruiser, long trips should be very pleasant.

Something to consider, I'm not sure how well the 392 responds to mods. Isn't a "scat pack" essentially a few bolt ons? If so, it would seem like the Mustang would have the advantage in the bolt on department and would have a higher ceiling.

Personally I'd go off of price and looks.

Sponsored

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
Depends on how you look at it and what your plans are.

For a DD/Cruiser the Challenger would be a great choice.
If you are into track days and such definitely the Mustang.

Performance specs aren't out yet for the 2018 Mustang so everything at this point is pure speculation.

The 392 is a stout engine and has power throughout especially low end where the current coyote doesn't.

I can't really comment on the Challenger since I have a Charger, so I'm basing my statements on my 2015 GT and 2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack.

The uConnect infotainment system is hands down better than any sync product out there and one of the better in vehicles today.

Now if your plans are to mod then again the Mustang wins, there is a far bigger aftermarket.

Thundersteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS Convertible
I owned a Challenger SRT8 for 4 years before I bought my Mustang GT/CS. The Challenger has plenty of torque at the low end--it just flat out moves. There is a lot more interior space, too, as well as a large trunk. Not as much aftermarket support as with the Mustang, but I had no problem getting what I wanted.

The Mustang is smaller, and more nimble. Not quite as fast (IMHO) off the line as the Challenger, but it's a close race either way.

If you want a comfy cruiser with lots of space, then the Scat Pak is the way to go. Otherwise, Mustang all the way!

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
These are fairly different cars? Most likely the 18 mustang will match straight line performance. And skin the challenger in the corners. This decision seams more about what you find more aesthetically pleasing. And how much you value interior space.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
These are fairly different cars? Most likely the 18 mustang will match straight line performance. And skin the challenger in the corners. This decision seams more about what you find more aesthetically pleasing. And how much you value interior space.
Pretty much this. At the very least test drive both when the 2018 Stang hits the lots.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
I owned a Challenger SRT8 for 4 years before I bought my Mustang GT/CS. The Challenger has plenty of torque at the low end--it just flat out moves. There is a lot more interior space, too, as well as a large trunk. Not as much aftermarket support as with the Mustang, but I had no problem getting what I wanted.

The Mustang is smaller, and more nimble. Not quite as fast (IMHO) off the line as the Challenger, but it's a close race either way.

If you want a comfy cruiser with lots of space, then the Scat Pak is the way to go. Otherwise, Mustang all the way!
We are not suppose to post street racing but just 4 hours ago a big guy with a kid in the passenger seat driving a hellcat wanted a friendly race up to 55 mph speed limit on a county road with no cars around. My car is lund tuned manual and his is auto stock hellcat.

I swear to god and was surprised from the outcome, I was able to took him with 2 car lengths from a stop light, and he wanted to do it again, same result! He said he couldn't launch the car right. I m 100% positive he would have taken me above 60 mph cause he was catching up fast. The supercharger whine also sounds awesome. I felt bad for the kid because the father wanted to show off to hi son. The kid may ask his dad to swith to a mustang, so i may have caused a family drama.

I am about to datalog for lund and was trying to burn all my E85 in the tank this morning. My car had 30 mile to empty, and i weight 165 lbs. The hellcat 4500 plus the guy and kid probably close to 300 lbs makes it 4800 lbs. Without drag radials and prep surface I really don't see any challenger making out of the line as fast as a lightly moded or even stock mustang. If you know how to launch that is. Even skatpack weights above 4200 lbs if i remember right. It may feel like the car is faster due to high torque on low rpms, but at that time the stang is already burning rubber with a shift at 7000 rpm.

I am truly and utterly surprised and wouldn't have imagined taking on a hellcat. It is pretty crazy and exciting. I also got schooled by my wife after i told her the story. I apologize to the admin and trully sorry for posting this. I just couldn't believe what just happened. That is all!

Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
A behemoth with more power is still a behemoth!

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 - N3451 2015 Focus Titanium
Both nice cars, but in reality it comes down to which one YOU like better. They both provide the excitement of a muscle car with modern day amenities. The `18 GT won't be a whole lot different than the current MY. So, drive them both first, then see what you think.

Taneras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Auto 3.55 GT
The uConnect infotainment system is hands down better than any sync product out there and one of the better in vehicles today.
Hopefully they've worked out the bugs, had a friend who's R/T was acting up badly. I can't recall everything about our conversation but he said that virtually every electronic amenity inside the cabin would randomly turn off and on. Radio, heated or cooled seats, etc. He brought it in 4-5 times within the first month and they couldn't get it straight. Said the service manager said that a lot of other people were having issues with the uConnect system as well and there was a firmware fix that was suppose to come out soon.

He did say its a nice system, though - when it works of course.

tazdale38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scot
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I recently traded my 2017 Mustang GT Premium in on a 2017 Dodge Daytona 392 . I loved everything about the Mustang, except, it had no low end torque. The Dodge, with the 392 will absolutely hold you back in your seat with the power from a dead stop, or even if you nail it at 80! The Mustang out handles the Charger, but, with the settings in the Dodge's performance pages, you can get pretty darn close! Surprising what computers can do these days! Also, I got 20% off on my Daytona, so it was a no brainer! Wait for the 18 Mustang to come out, drive both, and go from there.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Without known the power figures and other dimensions..(name weight) of the 2018 it's impossible to realistically compare the two based on performance figures.

Wait until you can drive both, preferably on the same day so they're in the same conditions, and then decide.
Sponsored