Could you build a better Mustang or Camaro for $40k

PrimetimeKenny_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt- Mt82
Was anyone on the fence between buying a 2016 SS or 2016 GT? In the end, my decision to buy a GT was based on the exterior looks, refinement, and initial cost.

I ended up buying my Mustang for 28k and OTD at 31.3k after Texas sales tax. I have not been able to find a 2016 Camaro SS for under 37k sales price, so I was wondering how far off are our S550 from matching a manual Camaro SS?

After driving an SS, I noticed that the major differences between the two were tires, the Camaro's factory suspension setup is better, and wheel hop. I did like TR6060, but I actually like our Mt82 as well, so that would not be something to swap or consider. Chassis wise, I felt our cars were as structurally competent as the alpha chassis of GM.

What do you guys think?
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I've driven a 2016 SS twice now and I found it had a better "build quality feel" than my S550 did stock. I had rattles driving home from the dealership in my S550 and the typical driveline clunks/thuds. The two Camaros I drove didn't make a peep and felt better suspension-wise on the road. Camaro has a much better stock exhaust tone, too.

But the interior of the Camaro - that dash design with the vents on the bottom and the trim selections - OMFG that is so ugly. Turned me off entirely. I'd only get an SS 1LE if I was shopping again -- for that car I can overlook the stupid interior.

I'm actually more a Chevy person. I have never had good luck with Fords in my entire lifetime and it baffles me why I even bought one, but it sold me enough to do so.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
N/A build - Camaro
FI build - Mustang
Transmission - Camaro
Handling/performance - Camaro
Exterior - Mustang
Interior - Mustang
Quality - Camaro
Cost - Mustang
Aftermarket - Mustang

Overall, the Mustang still outshines the Camaro IMO even if it's not quite on par in the performance aspect. You're talking under a second difference in most comparisons. The looks of the Camaro could be subjective to some but the Mustang flows much better on the exterior and interior of the car. I don't only want a car that I love to drive. I want one that I love to look at as well.

OP
OP
PrimetimeKenny_S550

PrimetimeKenny_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt- Mt82
Well spoken [MENTION=25003]wireeater[/MENTION], I think that people tend to get too caught up in automotive journal metrics. I would have never touched a Mustang before the S550, but there is something about the car that just invites you back into the driver seat day in and out. I do believe that the wheel hop and Pirellis killed our times. Not to mention, Car and Driver tested an automatic car vs a manual.
[MENTION=21494]wildcatgoal[/MENTION] I will say the A pillar rattles and diff clunks aren't the embodiment of refinement, but wouldn't you say by investing in vertical links (just purchased GMS pieces for $105 new+shipped), coilovers or track pack struts, Steeda differential alignment kit, and a BMR Cradle lockout kit that the performance could be matched to a non magnetic ride Camaro? I feel like the Eagle F1s on the Camaros gave the car a huge tire advantage over our cars, not to mention the 285s with a competent factory setup.

I guess only people who have tracked both vehicles would be able to comment on the chassis competencies!

S550GTCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corvette Grand Sport w/Z07, 2011 Golf TDI
The chassis of both cars are equally competent. From the factory the camaro's suspension is better and the car feels stiffer. The mustang is a few thousand cheaper though, so with a few aftermarket parts you'll be handling as good or better than a stock camaro for a little less. The power curves of the cars are different. 2 of my friends have 2016 SSs and the cars have massive amounts of power down low. Even with headers/exhaust/tires on my car vs their cars stock, they are just as quick if not quicker. I like the mustang's looks better, both inside and out. Also just the name Mustang evokes more emotion than Camaro. The mustang started the pony cars and when I was little I wanted a mustang not a camaro.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
The chassis of both cars are equally competent. From the factory the camaro's suspension is better and the car feels stiffer. The mustang is a few thousand cheaper though, so with a few aftermarket parts you'll be handling as good or better than a stock camaro for a little less. The power curves of the cars are different. 2 of my friends have 2016 SSs and the cars have massive amounts of power down low. Even with headers/exhaust/tires on my car vs their cars stock, they are just as quick if not quicker. I like the mustang's looks better, both inside and out. Also just the name Mustang evokes more emotion than Camaro. The mustang started the pony cars and when I was little I wanted a mustang not a camaro.
Learn to drive nick!

S550GTCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
I should mention that even though I have headers my car is not tuned. This is at races from a roll.... not from a dig.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Roll races. :doh:

S550GTCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Roll races. :doh:
meh, it seems to give more accurate results on which car is faster, eliminating a lot of the driver/tire differences. Either way I am not a straight line kind of guy. I have 295 AD08Rs on all 4 corners, rather than the drag setup of radials in the back and pizza cutters in the front. Corners are where it's at for me. :)

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
meh, it seems to give more accurate results on which car is faster, eliminating a lot of the driver/tire differences. Either way I am not a straight line kind of guy. I have 295 AD08Rs on all 4 corners, rather than the drag setup of radials in the back and pizza cutters in the front. Corners are where it's at for me. :)
Oh for sure, you strike me as a hard core racer dude. Probably have tons of video of you tearing up a road course huh? Roll races are for ricers with front wheel drive. And Mustang & Camaro owners that cant figure out how to launch their car. You have haphazard mods but come in and claim Camaros are faster? Faster than you. Sure. Faster than the rest of us. Nawww. Why would you have headers without a tune in the first place?

Sponsored
OP
OP
PrimetimeKenny_S550

PrimetimeKenny_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt- Mt82
I should mention that even though I have headers my car is not tuned. This is at races from a roll.... not from a dig.
How is your air to fuel ration lol? I'm guessing you are running catted headers, since you live in Cali?

- Care to share your suspensions setup? I'm at 275 square, but I plan on putting a 285 in the back, once the rears go BALD.

S550GTCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Oh for sure, you strike me as a hard core racer dude. Probably have tons of video of you tearing up a road course huh? Roll races are for ricers with front wheel drive. And Mustang & Camaro owners that cant figure out how to launch their car. You have haphazard mods but come in and claim Camaros are faster? Faster than you. Sure. Faster than the rest of us. Nawww. Why would you have headers without a tune in the first place?
Did I hit a soft nerve or something? Relax man. I never stated I was FBO or anything like that. I said I have a couple mods and my friend's camaro is faster. I never said I have problems launching the car or anything, all I said is we had a couple roll races. I have headers without a tune because I am waiting on a couple more mods before I drive up to sac to AED to get tuned. I haven't been to a road course yet, but I have some videos of a few canyon runs in my car. If you don't think a Camaro SS is faster from the factory than a Mustang GT, even with 1-2 bolt ons on the mustang (which is all I have), I'm not sure what to tell you.

OP
OP
PrimetimeKenny_S550

PrimetimeKenny_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt- Mt82
If you started launching with bald Pirelli Pzero Neros and base suspensions, then getting out of the hole won't be a problem after upgrades lol.

S550GTCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
How is your air to fuel ration lol? I'm guessing you are running catted headers, since you live in Cali?

- Care to share your suspensions setup? I'm at 275 square, but I plan on putting a 285 in the back, once the rears go BALD.
Air to fuel ratio is the same as stock. 13.9/14 at part throttle and 11.9 at WOT.

Suspension I have eibach sportlines on pp struts and shocks (KW V3s on the way), camber -1.7 rear, -2 front for more contact on turns. Stiffer differential bushings from steeda, g trac brace from steeda. I have 295/30/19 Yokohama AD08R tires all 4 corners on GT350 OEM rims. I might go 305 in the rear when my rears wear, but I really like a square setup on the mustang.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Did I hit a soft nerve or something? Relax man. I never stated I was FBO or anything like that. I said I have a couple mods and my friend's camaro is faster. I never said I have problems launching the car or anything, all I said is we had a couple roll races. I have headers without a tune because I am waiting on a couple more mods before I drive up to sac to AED to get tuned. I haven't been to a road course yet, but I have some videos of a few canyon runs in my car. If you don't think a Camaro SS is faster from the factory than a Mustang GT, even with 1-2 bolt ons on the mustang (which is all I have), I'm not sure what to tell you.
This I what I know. Yep me and my wife driving. Looks like you might want to go back to the drawing board if your losing to stock Camaros in your modded Mustang. I don't know what else to tell you.:tsk:
[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]wEPhAxjn-0Q[/MEDIA]"]

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]VVKD1qcku5U[/MEDIA]"]

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]_40Wc-xt4_Y[/MEDIA]"]
Sponsored