Sponsored

Next-Gen Fords for Dummies (Primer on News and Rumors)

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
Ford-Branded Products

-No word on a next-gen Fiesta or Focus yet, as the cars enter the final few years of their product life. The Focus RS is about to hit the streets in the next few weeks.

-Fusion may be getting a ST treatment for the 2017-18 MY. 400 HP and AWD is rumored, as well as the 2.3L EcoBoost. This rumor is less likely, however. The Fusion is also slated to be redesigned for the 2017 or 2018 MY.

-The next-generation Taurus will move to a modified Fusion platform. A new Taurus for China has already been revealed,

-A refreshed Escape has just been revealed.

-The fate of the Flex has yet to be determined.

-With the continuation of the Navigator (see below), the Expedition received a redesign and will use the EcoBoost V6. Because the 2015 F-150 frame was not ready in time when the development started on the new Expy, the big beast will soldier on with the existing platform until 2018. There is no V8 option currently.

-The New Super Duty Has been revealed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

THE LINCOLN REVIVAL

-A RWD Lincoln coupe will spawn from the Mustang's platform. Expect it to release in the 2019-2020 MY. It will be built at the Flat Rock assembly plant along-side the 2015 Mustang. Design started last year.

-The Navigator will no longer be a tarted-up Expedition by 2018, it will be designed and constructed by Lincoln for the first time in the 'Gator's history. The expected engine lineup is the EcoBoost V6 and a new EcoBoost V8. For 2018 it will be on the new F-150's platform. and will also use an extensive amount of aluminum body paneling. A Vista-style glass roof will be making it on to the Navi. Despite the monstrous power available, it will still have class-leading FE. This will not be a cheap truck, it is going to be in the leagues of the Range Rover with the Navi's style and luxury.

-The new MKX is hitting the streets as we speak.

-The Aviator is now expected to make a revival as an Explorer-based mid-size SUV. The moniker "MKA" was recently trademarked by Ford.

-There have been rumors of a Focus-based compact car, but the rumors have been debunked.

-MKT is going to be axed soon.

-The Lincoln MKZ has been refreshed for 2017. A performance model is going to have around 400 HP and AWD.

-The Continental will replace the MKS.

-A 3.0L EB TTV6 (based on the 2.7L EB) is being developed, with power rivaling the current 3.5L EB. Coming with it is a nine-speed automatic co-developed by GM and Ford. This will be a Lincoln-exclusive powertrain.

-Lincoln will be releasing two all-new cars by 2020, one being a replacement for the MKT (see Aviator). The other may be the Mustang coupe.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This is what we know as of 11/30/15
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thed

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
Ford usually touts up their EcoBoost engines when people start talking diesel. I expect more of the same when it comes to those two models.

SaudiMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Thank you Thed for this very valuable info . I have been searching for info about the 2015 expedition and why it is only going to be a MCR ( mid-cycle refresh ) which really provoked me and got me thinking on buying a Land cruiser or maybe an LR4 . You see in saudi arabia our families are densely populated . That's why we need the more space and seats. We have a 2005 ford expedition but it is getting tired and I have to say the interior quality is very poor you hear sounds everywhere and that cheap plastic is killing me . Also, the last spy shots of the interior shows that it gets the same interior as the 09-14 f-150 , it's an improvement but it will never compete with the GM completely redesigned full size SUVs . It hurts me a lot , guess I'll just have to sell my 2012 f-150 and buy a Super-crew 2015 until the 2018 expedition arrives.

OP
OP
Thed

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
I'd say wait and see on the Expedition. Don't let one spy shot turn you off of a vehicle you would be strongly considering.

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Thanks Thed...........first time I've clicked on this thread :)

All good stuff, but I'll admit one thing smacked me right between the eyes.............Ecoboost V8!

This would be available in 2018? Now, any ideas on capacity? Based on the Coyote?

Must admit, I was expecting Coyote to go DI for around the '18MY (or for the first S550 refresh, whenever that's scheduled for).

I can imagine a smaller capacity......say 4.4-4.6 Ecoboost to eventually replace Coyote, but figured we wouldn't see it this decade.

:)

Dirk McGurck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Nissan 370Z Touring with Sport
And is any of that coming with a manual transmission? No? I'm out...

NRMStand

EB V8 for the Nav? I hadn't heard about this. I'm going to assume they're not just slapping turbos on the coyote.

It's sad that the Mustang can't pay the rent on new engine development for itself. Probably looking at the basis for the next GT replacement engine that will trickle down hopefully sooner than later..

You have any more detail on this Thed?

OP
OP
Thed

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
Coyote + two turbos + DI = EB V8 from what I've heard.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Thed

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
In development, don't have a time scale. It'll be interesting to see what Ford, and more importantly the aftermarket, can make out of it when it comes out

Jamo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Cobra Coupe
Ford-Branded Products

-The Focus is set to get a minor refresh soon, with the ST and the regular models getting facelifts. AWD and 300 HP will be coming to the new Focus, either as the refreshed ST or the new RS.

... This is what we know as of 1/24/2014
Is there any news story on this? Or when is this car coming?

OP
OP
Thed

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club

Fordman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Taurus
AWD.... 300 HP .... Focus??!!... In America?
Sponsored