Sponsored

2017 Rousch Charged Stang or 2017 1LE

Substance138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
Hopefully I am posting this in the correct section. Long time lurker here, but finally registered. I am the current owner of a 2012 Mustang GT. I am looking at upgrading in the next few months as I am just returning from overseas where I have been for several years, so car shopping was not easy. The two cars I am torn between are a 2017 Mustang GT w/ Rousch Supercharger (670 hp//GPPP), likely from Joe Meyers Ford in Houston, Tx due to them being close, or a 2017 Camaro 1LE. I understand this is a Mustang site, but looking for opinions, info, experience from those who have driven or experienced both cars. Both of these cars would come in right around $43K or so. I did do a search prior to posting this thread, but didn't see anything specifically comparing the Rouschcharged GT to the 1LE. Whatever I choose will see light track duty possibly twice a year, but primarily be a street car.

Initial thoughts:

Mustang - Lots more power, I like the styling but I would be looking to do some exterior mods, wheels/tires, etc. It would need new wider tires and some suspension work to hook the power. I would also need to invest in OPG, half shafts (eventually) and am a bit worried about the transmission as I would want the M6. I like the possibility of what this car brings to the table power wise. I'd be looking at a GTPP, so the brakes and cooling would help on track days...albeit only a few days a year.

Camaro - Less power. Track focused car. I like the styling from the factory and the wheels, tires are good. The interior is just OK, seems cheap to me. The hardware (suspension, cooling, etc) though all seems to be good to go. LT1 has power limits, even when FI is added, the Coyote seems to do much better. This would limit its street applicability in terms of what I could run with.

Just a few of my thoughts...thanks for any opinions and thoughts.
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
How do you plan to use the car? if your a drag racer. Easy choice. Mustang! Road course guy. Again easy choice. Camaro. Just looking for a cool daily driver? Mustang.

Reactions: A7X

chipmaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT premium
I had a 10 Camaro 2SS/RS. It was fun, now I've just bought my first Ford. I like the mustang more for a daily driver. I got a way better deal on the Mustang than I ever could have a Camaro.

OP
OP

Substance138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
Good point Bluebeastsrt. I should have specified further. The car will see roadcourse work no more than twice a year. My father and law has a 2016 Z06 and my two brother in laws all have roadcourse cars (Miata and RX-8) so there is a couple of times a year the boys go and track the cars. I am not really any good and have always taken my GT when we went. Its a 2012, so i know the Gen 6 is a huge upgrade to what I have for track use.

However, with all that said, that it will primarily be used as a street car. Meetups and the occasional highway run/pull.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
For me the decision is easy... Camaro 1LE. But I have no passion for drag racing and no particular interest in a supercharged vehicle and its headaches/additional cost requirements on a road course. The SS 1LE is excellent off the showroom floor. If the interior of the Camaros wasn't so god awful, I would have waited and gotten one instead of my Mustang. I'm happy with the Mustang now with my Steeda parts farm installed, but it was off the lot (to me) a far cry from the German sports car feel that gives me the driver's confidence I wanted and frankly expected with an IRS. The 1LE is notably more expensive though and, quite honestly, I don't think I'd feel as willing to track it as much as I do my Mustang as a result, so there's that. But... in the right financial circumstance, I'd have the 1LE.

That said, I have YET to see a 1LE at a track day. I have seen the previous-gen 1LEs, but not the new ones. I haven't been to all the track days on earth of course but I have been to a lot in the past year and not one SS 1LE was there. Maybe those guys float in a more swanky track club than JZilla or Just Track It, I don't know. Haha.

Since you have a 2012 GT, I'd try to keep that and with a few grand of parts from Steeda or Maximum Motorsports, you can turn that into an excellent performer on a road course for CHEAP. Part of me wishes I could go back in time, get me some kind of S197 and build that up. I'd spend half of what I've spent car + parts in total and I'd have the same amount of fun.

Sponsored

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
Sounds to me like we are comparing the wrong car to the 1LE. If you spend most of your time on the street and occasionally may do a track day I would buy the GTPP and tastefully mod it to your needs. You will probably spend about the same but the outcome will be a car that suits your exact needs. The look and comfort that you are looking for with enough power and handling prowess to be fun on the street and competitive at the track. The 1LE is a great choice if you are focusing on track ability and don't mind the look, ride for daily use, interior, and visability.

I bought my car for about 32k and have about 10k in the car. I'm sure with a set of tires suited for the track my car would have no problem handling 1LE's all day. My car is still very reliable and I did not mess with the balance of the car by hanging a couple hundred pounds on the nose of it. Of course for straight drag duty or highway racing the roush will be a bit faster then mine. Pick your poison. The 1LE is a hell of a factory track ready vehicle for the money if you want it bought and not built.

rotisserie_gold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Roush Stage 3
I have a 17 RS3 based off of a GTPP, and it's an M6. I daily the car, and as of this post I have just shy of 6k miles on it. No issues with the transmission. I would add that RS3 version does come with upgraded half shafts - not sure what the Joe Meyers package comes with standard, but I would recommend getting the upgraded half shafts. I have not driven a 1LE, but I will say that the Roushcharger will obviously give you a lot more power, out of the box. You have to feed into it, and you can't just mash the pedal in first or second like you can probably do in the 1LE. 3rd/4th is really where you can have some fun. The stock tune is super reliable, and while I have heard that the blower can do even better with something from Lund or VMP you will never have to worry about anything with the standard Roush tune. Again, it's all in what you are looking for. If you are looking for a super fun daily that has gobs of power that you really don't have to worry about then I would say you can't go wrong with the Roush. You should get some better tires though day one. I have the stock Roush Cooper RS3s, and while they are "okay" I will get something different when I wear these out a bit more. I don't think the Camaro would be a bad choice either. My husband had a 2010 Camaro SS several years back, and it was a great car. The only knock against it was really the visibility. The new ones aren't much better in this front.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
1LE all day. Better car. Better retail sales. Better profits.

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
I'd get the 1LE. But honestly if you're only going once or twice a year I'd get a 2SS. For the better deals out there that would give you a few K to play with.

EastTNMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Roush Stage 3
I haven't heard of a Rousch, but I would suggest getting a GT PP and adding the mods you want...maybe get a Roush TVS and definitely the upgraded halfshafts.
Sponsored