Fix Bouncy Ride

OP
OP

dope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have stock shocks and springs. The bounce (or jounce) got substantially worse with the CB005 and rear LCA bearings. It feels like it happened because these mods reduce the play in the suspension (to reduce wheel hop) by binding the cradle to the body (correct me if I'm wrong). So you get better rear feel and traction but more bounce. It jiggles me. These mods are not a free lunch.

I hear as other people mentioned, the solution lies in the Steeda rear shock mounts and better damping.
I am assuming the bounce is not happening because of the bump stops, which doesnt seem to be the case here. Also, another source of bounce is shocks and springs combo. Doesnt seem to be the case here either.
I spoke with Mike from Steeda and he told me to get the bump stops checked to make sure 1" was trimmed off. My factory bump stops should measure 1.5" in length, per Steeda specs. He explained that some of his customers had experienced this highway bounciness due to bump stops not being trimmed sufficiently or at all. By the ways, Mike was really helpful and genuinely cares about my issue being resolved to my satisfaction, which I greatly appreciate. :thumbsup:

I'm bringing my car to the dealership later this month. I'll ask them if they could verify the length of my bump stops. Hopefully, this doesn't require any significant labor. I think this simply requires lifting the car and sliding the dust boot down a few inches to get to the bump stop. Can someone confirm?

My first assumption had been that Steeda's progressive springs might be too soft to be paired with their shocks/struts. I thought Steeda may have designed their dampers to be paired with the linears, which have a higher springs rate compared to the avg rate of the progressives. But, I think that's incorrect.

When I get my Steeda rear shock mounts i might install them myself so that I have peace of mind knowing the install is done properly.
Sponsored

Jon|3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' 3.7 Mustang
^ thats exactly what im getting done tomorrow! and installing the mounts myself!

OP
OP

dope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Would these FP jounce bumpers further reduce the highway bounce when paired with the shock mounts? They were designed for the FP lowering springs so maybe they wouldn't work as effectively with my suspension setup. The Steeda bump stops might be better for me?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-jounce-stops-2015.html

^ thats exactly what im getting done tomorrow! and installing the mounts myself!
Let me know how the ride feels with the mounts!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Would these FP jounce bumpers further reduce the highway bounce when paired with the shock mounts? They were designed for the FP lowering springs so maybe they wouldn't work as effectively with my suspension setup. The Steeda bump stops might be better for me?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-jounce-stops-2015.html

Let me know how the ride feels with the mounts!
Those are just pre-trimmed versions of the stock bumpstops.

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Those are just pre-trimmed versions of the stock bumpstops.
The Ford Performance bump stops still need to be trimmed 1/4 inch to work well with the Steeda progressive springs or the Steeda Linear springs in the rear.

Steeda Tech

Sponsored

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
The Ford Performance bump stops still need to be trimmed 1/4 inch to work well with the Steeda progressive springs or the Steeda Linear springs in the rear.

Steeda Tech
Thanks - based on this I will trim them 1/4 inch for the GT350R and ProAction combo. Do the Ford bump stops remain uncut in the front?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks - based on this I will trim them 1/4 inch for the GT350R and ProAction combo. Do the Ford bump stops remain uncut in the front?
I think for the 350R springs you could leave them as is, since you're not dropping 1+".

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
I think for the 350R springs you could leave them as is, since you're not dropping 1+".
Ah! Got ya. If I cut them .25 inch there is no downside right?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Ah! Got ya. If I cut them .25 inch there is no downside right?
Other than a reduced cushion to prevent damper damage if you go over something really big!

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Just helped a customer who never removed the bump-stop from the rear shock dust cover and installed the short Steeda bump-stop. Now that would cause a bounce!

Sponsored

Jon|3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' 3.7 Mustang
^ that would be me haha >.< guess my installer forgot /:

hopefully thats it! will update soon! thanks a ton! [MENTION=25806]SteedaTech[/MENTION]

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
^ that would be me haha >.< guess my installer forgot /:

hopefully thats it! will update soon! thanks a ton! @SteedaTech
No problem, We all are here to help one another! I appreciate and respect the performance enthusiast!

All the best,

Steeda tech

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
car drove 100x better! no more clunking no more thumps no more bouncing! rode super clean back home and all smiles! shocking mounts are next:D
It'll only get better! Glad it's hugely improved!

See, [MENTION=29672]BChuck[/MENTION], trim those bumpstops.