Sponsored

Fix Bouncy Ride

dope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
After getting several suspension parts installed on my non-PP GT, I was pleased with the reduction in body roll and nose dive, but really disappointed with the bouncy ride. The rear feels even bouncier than stock, especially when driving at highway speeds. I had these parts installed by a shop:

Steeda non-adjustable shocks & struts
Steeda progressive lowering springs - 1.125"/1" drop
Steeda adjustable sway bars (on medium setting)
BMR Lockout Kit (CB005)

The shop told me that they trimmed the bumpstops. Could it be the relatively low spring rate on the progressive springs? I read that the Steeda rear progressive springs only have a spring rate of 525 to 820 lb/in, which is a really low spring rate compared to other aftermarket springs. Is it the soft springs that are causing the bouncy ride?

I'm disappointed with the Steeda suspension. I wish I went with Ford Performance or Eibach springs with Koni dampers. Are there any cheap mods to fix the rear bounce?
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
After getting several suspension parts installed on my non-PP GT, I was pleased with the reduction in body roll and nose dive, but really disappointed with the bouncy ride. The rear feels even bouncier than stock, especially when driving at highway speeds. I had these parts installed by a shop:

BMR Lockout KiT (CB005)

The shop told me that they trimmed the bumpstops. Could it be the relatively low spring rate on the progressive springs? I read that the Steeda rear progressive springs only have a spring rate of 525 to 820 lb/in, which is a really low spring rate compared to other aftermarket springs. Is it the soft springs that are causing the bouncy ride?

I'm disappointed with the Steeda suspension. I wish I went with Ford Performance or Eibach springs with Koni dampers. Are there any cheap mods to fix the rear bounce?
These will fix it and did on mine. All bounce is gone on roads that used to make it oscillate:
https://www.steeda.com/billet-rear-...le-pro-action-and-koni-rear-shocks-15-17.html

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750

BMR Lockout Kit (CB005)

pm your contact info and we will go over the install, you should not have a bouncy ride at all.

Thanks Mike D

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'd also consider dropping to the soft setting on your bars.

Sponsored

OP
OP

dope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thanks for the advice BmacIL! Would swapping my rear springs with stiffer springs also be a good solution to consider?

Or should I just get the billet rear shock mounts? The billet rear shocks mounts just seem overpriced for what they are. Do I get any other benefit with these other than reduced rear bounce?

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Mike D will take care of you ... hit em on P.M.!

TJ

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Does the "Bounce" change when there is a drastic change in weight?

In other words, try and run the tank all the way to like 20 miles to E with no passenger or other added weight in the car....note the ride, then fill the tank all the way up AND add a passenger and see how it compares.

OP
OP

dope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Does the "Bounce" change when there is a drastic change in weight?

In other words, try and run the tank all the way to like 20 miles to E with no passenger or other added weight in the car....note the ride, then fill the tank all the way up AND add a passenger and see how it compares.
I've had the new suspension installed for 5 days now and I've been driving the car with anywhere from 1/3 tank to 50 miles to E with me in the driver seat (I weigh 185 lbs) most of the time. I'll test it out and report back. Thank you Kelly.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the advice BmacIL! Would swapping my rear springs with stiffer springs also be a good solution to consider?

Or should I just get the billet rear shock mounts? The billet rear shocks mounts just seem overpriced for what they are. Do I get any other benefit with these other than reduced rear bounce?
No, stiffer would make the bounce worse at this point. The billet mounts are stronger, but the big benefit is the spherical bearing that actually allows the rear shock to articulate without binding in rubber bushings. I've spoken with a Ford vehicle dynamics engineer on the Mustang program and he actually agrees that this would get rid of the bounce and help them with shock tuning. For how well it works I think it's well worth the $200. It was not a small change on my car.

I'd soften the bars so that single wheel bumps aren't over sprung. To be honest the medium setting is getting a little on the stiff side with your springs, at least looking at their contribution to the overall roll stiffness.

OP
OP

dope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
No, stiffer would make the bounce worse at this point. The billet mounts are stronger, but the big benefit is the spherical bearing that actually allows the rear shock to articulate without binding in rubber bushings. I've spoken with a Ford vehicle dynamics engineer on the Mustang program and he actually agrees that this would get rid of the bounce and help them with shock tuning. For how well it works I think it's well worth the $200. It was not a small change on my car.

I'd soften the bars so that single wheel bumps aren't over sprung. To be honest the medium setting is getting a little on the stiff side with your springs, at least looking at their contribution to the overall roll stiffness.
Ok, you just might have me convinced to buy these Steeda rear shock mounts.

Could the "bouncier" feel be somewhat attributed to the fact that I switched from linear springs (OEM non-PP springs) to progressive springs? Maybe I'm just used to the predictability of a constant spring rate in linear springs. I'll also be upgrading my 18" factory wheels to 19" wheels with 275/35 or 275/40 tires, could that have an impact on the bounciness of the ride at all?

Should I soften both bars, or is it ok to soften just the rear? I hope it doesn't introduce significantly more body roll. This is my first time modding a car's suspension so I really appreciate the help.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Mine is an EB PP so not exactly apples to apples but close. My experience was just the opposite. My stock ride was VERY bouncy. Just upgrading to the Steeda Progressive springs improved the bounce, didn't get rid of it but was certainly better. Next, the exact day Koni dampers were available (before Steeda's was released) I bought those and got further improvement. Then the Steeda shock mounts improved it even more.

MikeyPee

dissmember
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 IS Premium GT w/PP
Sounds exactly like what my car is doing, and looks like my next mod

Jon|3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' 3.7 Mustang
i also have these mods and have a super bouncy ride, except the bmr cradle i have steeda subframe alignment kit and bushing support, but my ride feels bouncy i feel like im galloping, but i will check what settings my swaybars are at, is it an easy fix? what is the easiest way to tell? (they were installed by someone else)
Sponsored