Sponsored

West Virginia Members

MedStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Guard GT PP 401A
I'm moving up to West Virginia this summer and I'm wondering if there are any members on here that could offer advice in terms of what to expect on vehicle inspections. I'll be in Morgantown, specifically. I'm coming from an area where I have never had to have my vehicle inspected for any reason.

I know that WV has the yearly safety inspection requirement. Is there anything I need to look out for on this? Is window tent something they'll be inspecting? Mine are darker than allowed where I am now, but I've never had an issue driving cars this dark for the past 8 years. Do I need to be careful in regards to which shop I choose to have this performed?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I'm moving up to West Virginia this summer and I'm wondering if there are any members on here that could offer advice in terms of what to expect on vehicle inspections. I'll be in Morgantown, specifically. I'm coming from an area where I have never had to have my vehicle inspected for any reason.

I know that WV has the yearly safety inspection requirement. Is there anything I need to look out for on this? Is window tent something they'll be inspecting? Mine are darker than allowed where I am now, but I've never had an issue driving cars this dark for the past 8 years. Do I need to be careful in regards to which shop I choose to have this performed?

Thanks in advance!
Hey man, vehicle inspections in wv are a joke. Lol. At least at the garage I go to. All they really care about is if your turn signals and lights and horn work. $14.66 and here's your sticker. Cool thing is the car inspection has nothing to do with the dmv. It's only for the police to see that you had a safety inspection since the sticker is displayed in the window and they change the color of the sticker from year to year. You can get your tags, title and everything and get the inspection later. So even if you went to some place that got picky for some reason, it wouldnt matter, just go somewhere else. Welcome to wv! I only live an hour from morgantown.

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
Depends on the garage. Some shops are easy, some will do anything to fail ya. Just depends.

OP
OP
MedStang

MedStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Guard GT PP 401A
Really appreciate the input from you guys! Sounds like its not too big a deal then. Just a tad nervous about it as I've never had to have an inspection for anything before and try to limit taking my car to anyone for anything as much as I can lol.

Sponsored

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
Depends on the shop you go to. Some will be dicks and try to fail you for whatever they can, window tint especially. Generally the cops around here don't say much about tint anymore, unless you are REALLY dark, like 5% stuff. I have heard there are a couple local cops and State Troopers down around Fairmont/Clarksburg that have recently had a hard on for busting guys on tint. I plan to do 35% just for the peace of mind, plus I am getting older and don't feel like the hassle of seeing out of them at night.

I am in Morgantown as well, and if you have any problems getting inspected let me know. I can PM you a shop where I know a couple of the guys and they will throw a sticker on for 20 bux lol. We have a local FB car group (all makes) if you want to PM me and I can add you. They do meets all the time during the summer months.

OP
OP
MedStang

MedStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Guard GT PP 401A
Depends on the shop you go to. Some will be dicks and try to fail you for whatever they can, window tint especially. Generally the cops around here don't say much about tint anymore, unless you are REALLY dark, like 5% stuff. I have heard there are a couple local cops and State Troopers down around Fairmont/Clarksburg that have recently had a hard on for busting guys on tint. I plan to do 35% just for the peace of mind, plus I am getting older and don't feel like the hassle of seeing out of them at night.

I am in Morgantown as well, and if you have any problems getting inspected let me know. I can PM you a shop where I know a couple of the guys and they will throw a sticker on for 20 bux lol. We have a local FB car group (all makes) if you want to PM me and I can add you. They do meets all the time during the summer months.
Appreciate the advice, [MENTION=18563]Nuked[/MENTION]. Sent you a PM.

triggered

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
No
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP - Race Red
Cool thing is the car inspection has nothing to do with the dmv. It's only for the police to see that you had a safety inspection since the sticker is displayed in the window and they change the color of the sticker from year to year.
Is this true in general or just for WVA? VA here and I'm wondering if it's literally just a visual cue for police

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Is this true in general or just for WVA? VA here and I'm wondering if it's literally just a visual cue for police
I have no clue for va. I know VA sucks!! At least when it comes to the... anything over 80 mph is reckless driving shit. F that. I avoid VA as much as I can.

In maryland you have to get the car inspected once when you buy it and it's a semi serious inspection. Then you turn that slip in to get your tags/registration. But, unlike wv, you can own the car forever and never get it inspected again. Crazy.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
In WV the inspection is nothing more than a racket. Every road legal car, every year at 12.50 a pop. I don't remember the breakdown, but most of that goes to the state I believe. They mentioned changing the inspection laws this legislative session, but I don't think it got much traction. Was proposing inspections only on used cars when sold/transferred to a new owner. Shops don't make money off the inspection directly, but they make a killing by "failing" cars to unknown people for stupid stuff that they get paid to fix.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I've been failed in WV for a loose tie rod, worn brakes, and my dad was failed for a loose driver side mirror. All of these were 20 years+ old vehicles. I never had an issue in my newer stuff. One time the guy saw my car (was about a year old), asked the mileage, and put the sticker on. IF your car is relatively new they likely won't check much. Any time I had dark tint I came in with the windows rolled down.

I live in KY now and they supposedly have a "sheriff's inspection" that happens when you first register a vehicle. I've registered 5? I think, and they've never done the inspection. I will say, as much as inspections seem like a racket, I've seen some complete heaps on the road in KY. I was passed one morning on the interstate by a car with no hood..lol
Sponsored