Sponsored

Car loan amertization?

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
I knew from buying my home that amertization SUCKS! Jacks up the rate you are actually paying compared to what they tell you you're paying. Because of that, I specifically asked my lender if this loan would be like buying a product at a set/flat price or if there would be amertization applied. I must have spoken to half a dozen different people at banks/lenders over the past year and each and every time I was told that car loans did NOT use amertization. I was told it was like sales tax in regard to how to calculate the cost of the loan and payments.

We pick up my 2017 GT w/PP next Saturday. Everything is set up. Today I looked at the autodraft/check my lender sent me and in the paperwork it listed the price of the loan for around $1679. That's how I figured out it was an amertized number. Because I had calculated the cost of the loan at around $760. Not saying it'll kill the deal but I'm pretty pissed I was lied to.

At the end of the day I'm curious if this is an industry standard or do some lenders NOT do it this way? If it's a standard practice...fine, I'll quit my bitchin and just enjoy the car. But if not, I'd like to know that.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Sponsored

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Not sure what you are trying to describe or why you and your lender had two different numbers, but a quick search provided the following.

Amortization is the paying off of debt with a fixed repayment schedule in regular installments over a period of time. The formula for calculating the payment amount is shown below.

where

• A = payment Amount per period
  • P = initial Principal (loan amount)
  • r = interest rate per period
  • n = total number of payments or periods

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure what you are trying to describe or why you and your lender had two different numbers, but a quick search provided the following.
As I said, I'm well aware of what amertization is and how to calculate it. However, I'm just asking if amertization is a standard practice for AUTO loans. Because I was consistently told they weren't amertized.

Thanks

-Emt1581

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
I'm just asking if amertization is a standard practice for AUTO loans.
Any loan that is paid off in equal installments over a fixed length of time is amortized, including car loans.

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Obviously you don't. Amortization is simply what your total cost of buying a car with a loan is (payment total x number of payments). One sneeky thing finance departments do is quote you a fixed interest rate and assign you a variable rate. That will affect your amortized rate. As well as length of term.

As I said, I'm well aware of what amertization is and how to calculate it. However, I'm just asking if amertization is a standard practice for AUTO loans. Because I was consistently told they weren't amertized.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
It's amortization. No e. Sorry...had to.

Jackie Chan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Corvette ZR1
One sneeky thing finance departments do is quote you a fixed interest rate and assign you a variable rate. That will affect your amortized rate. As well as length of term.
Not on car loans

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any loan that is paid off in equal installments over a fixed length of time is amortized, including car loans.

Thanks, you answered my question. :thumbsup:

-Emt1581
Sponsored