OP

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Touching up is not going to help. Corrosion is like cancer. You have to get every cell of it or it will grow back.
Sponsored

LG23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT
Touching up is not going to help. Corrosion is like cancer. You have to get every cell of it or it will grow back.
Oops I may have confused which thread I was on :headbonk: mine is not and was not bubbling like that and was just a piece that chipped off in the area around the hood vent- I suspect it happened when I washed the car and went under heavy duty blowers.

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
Mine is identical to the photo you posted. Sucks.

Sponsored

OP
OP

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Its interesting that a few people have had it in the exact same spot. I am curious, for those who have or had hood corrosion what was your build date? Mine was Oct. 2014.

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
I'd have to check, but I think mine was built early 2015

OP
OP

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
The hood may be the least of my problems right now. Car got hit by a falling tree that was hit by lightning. They say it looks like a good 10 grand but I'm waiting to hear the firm estimate. There's a chance it could be totaled. If not, they'll be doing the hood painting along with the pillar, roof, quarter, and trunk.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
^^^ Damn, that's not good. Hope they fix it up good if it's not totaled.

ZombieHunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red California Special
Any 16's have this issue or only 15's?

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Correct! I had it on my 2007. Its a shame that in 10 model years they can't figure out how to treat aluminum.
They probably have it figured out on paper, but actually doing it during production is probably the root cause since not everyone has the issue.

thumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT PP
just terrific. my old 2011 had this. it happened 2 years into ownership and at that point ford was no longer replacing hoods and was only authorizing scraping off all the old sealant in the affected areas, resealing it, and repaint. this band aid lasted me just under a year and it came back a second time. this was on a black car too. first the bubbles, then the weeping of the corrosion down the body, and then when the paint starts to break down on the bubbles, you get white patches or worse.

the problem is in the welds. ford dosen't know how to weld aluminum and the contaminants react with the aluminum when exposed to the elements. supposedly if it were properly sealed none of this would happen but fat chance. the replacement hoods were doing it as well since they did nothing to correct the initial problem in production.

i can't imagine what owners of the new aluminum bodied f150 trucks are going to get themselves into down the road.

word of warning: FORD DOES NOT CONSIDER THIS TO BE RUST/CORROSION. they will only cover this as a paint defect, that is only covered under the bumper to bumper warranrty, which is shorter than the coverage for corrosion. so watch your aluminum bits carefully... the moment you see something bubbling, go straight to the dealer asap.

i'm not looking forward to the future :(

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Just noticed my 2015 has hood corrosion as well.... Mine is actually quite extensive and is present all along the passenger side lip of the hood.... Wonderful...
Sponsored