Sponsored

overboosting with mechanical bov

Dspec_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang Ecoboost
Hello all.

I changed my bov out for a dual port mechanical bov, and I seem to have been hitting ~21-22 psi of boost. I am staring to worry about longevity.

I know the factory bypass has some role in boost control, by bypassing at full boost, so does that mean we loose some safety margin, when using a mechanical bov?

Adam, your opinion about the boost control logic would be appretiated!

Have a great friday mustang friends!

:cheers:
Sponsored

Phil@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Bullitt, 2004 Cobra, 1968 Fastback
as long as you are around 25psi and below i dont see it being an issue

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
How are you measuring peak boost?

OP
OP
Dspec_S550

Dspec_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sct x4 has a datalog function with min-max values.

I dont watch it constantly, but it shows values over 20 most of the time.

When I had the factory bpv, it was always pretty damn close to 19.5-20.5 or so.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think there is an issue at all. If you were spiking to 25+, I'd be worried

Are you tuned? I hit 22-23 with my Tune+ and turbosmart mechanical BPV.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dspec_S550

Dspec_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stock tune and performance tune from BAMA behave the same with the mechanical valve.

I am thinking about going back to the bpv for some safety, and maybe because I am bored of the sound already.. ;)

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
stock tune and performance tune from BAMA behave the same with the mechanical valve.

I am thinking about going back to the bpv for some safety, and maybe because I am bored of the sound already.. ;)
I got tired of that sound 2 cars ago.

TEXAS HEAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 A10
Hello all.

I changed my bov out for a dual port mechanical bov, and I seem to have been hitting ~21-22 psi of boost. I am staring to worry about longevity.

I know the factory bypass has some role in boost control, by bypassing at full boost, so does that mean we loose some safety margin, when using a mechanical bov?

Adam, your opinion about the boost control logic would be appretiated!

Have a great friday mustang friends!

:cheers:
When you replaced your factory BPV you eliminated a known leak point. You're no longer leaking which is allowing the 21-22psi of boost to stay in the charge pipes and therefore into your intake manifold. This is a good thing. Keep up with the octane requirements of your specific tune and all should be fine.

psssst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang EB Premium
You should be fine. When I loaded the FP Tune on my car, it allows it to over boost to 24 PSI. Keep in mind too that boost will vary with ambient air temps.

Tucsonturbos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang ecoboost
Nothing is wrong with the bov and youll run into the same issue with the oem piece. Easy answer actually that was probably overlooked and its the temp. La is kinda close to tucson and just checking your weather, what you had was similar to mine. 10-15deg increase over the last day or 2. When you increase temp, the tune you run as well as the oem tune increases boost to meet performance. That 1-1.5psi increase is from weather getting hotter. Test it out for yourself by driving at 11pm-5am then again at 11am-5pm and youll see the boost raise when it is hotter outside. Like others have said its nothing to be worried about and keep the mech bov. Stock part isnt nearly as bad as people make it out to be but more than likely the new bov vents more efficiently. Hope this helps and gives people new to boost a quick education. Have fun!

Sponsored

TunaFish15

2017 SRT Challenger owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6.4L Mustang Eater
If there was indeed true overboost occuring, your car's computer would go into limp mode which would only put out 5psi max. I know. My 15' had an overboost condition for about 2 days with no tune(stock) and stock bpv, cold side charge pipe caused it. I would hit 32psi at partial throttle 2000rpm and the car felt like it was lifting the front wheels of the ground, ready for take off. Simply amazing. Eventually the computer went into limp mode for engine protection.

OP
OP
Dspec_S550

Dspec_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lol, that sounds fun!

2mhc01y.jpg

OP
OP
Dspec_S550

Dspec_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
in other news, I swapped my stock bpv back on, and my mpg's gained about ~2.5mpg..

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
I wonder if that mpg gain is due to the prolonged blow off that happens on the highway at low load demand

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Well there are a number is things to consider when you go to a mechanical BOV, making more boost is just the by product of of an actual billet unit with good seals as the plastic DV that ford uses is known for leaking.

As long as your AFR is good at 20-22 PSI there are zero issues to be had with a good tune. If you are noting some lean conditions under WOT then get with your tuner and have them adjust it appropriately. Like others have noted, as long as your below 25PSI+ you will be fine, after 25PSI you will run out of fuel in the stock setup to maintain AFRs for that level of boost.

Spiking boost levels are not the same as continued high boost levels, if you were running say 25-27 PSI WOT steady, I would be worried, if you spike to 25 but drop to a 22-24PSI plateau your good. It can be dialed back a hair, or you can soften the BOV by turning its cap in the direction to let it bleed off boost earlier. Either way overboost can be turned down via tune so I would not worry at all.
Sponsored