2017 Ecboost where do i start

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
OK we'll just have to leave that to opinion then. Ford figured out which temperature plugs to use with their engine. I think they would know best. I have a lot of respect for Adam and his tuning, he certainly knows way more than I ever will but I definitely disagree with this. I had those exact plugs pregapped from Adam in my car. with just the aftermarket tune, they were constantly coming out with black carbon on them (not running hot enough).

You can disagree but you certainly can't say I'm incorrect, nobody's opinion can beat checking the condition of your plugs and what they tell you... I'll trust that over what anyone says.

You are not correct sir

These are the plugs I run :
https://adamtuned.myshopify.com/col...spark-plugs-pre-gapped-to-tune-specs-set-of-4

It says clearly in purple at the bottom of the page: "Yes, we recommend running these plugs even on stock vehicles. The plugs do not require a tune to see benefits"

I buy them pre gapped to avoid problems. The ECU is smart and will ajust timing accordingly so no worries, been running them for over a year without issues
Sponsored

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
OK we'll just have to leave that to opinion then. Ford figured out which temperature plugs to use with their engine. I think they would know best. I have a lot of respect for Adam and his tuning, he certainly knows way more than I ever will but I definitely disagree with this. I had those exact plugs pregapped from Adam in my car. with just the aftermarket tune, they were constantly coming out with black carbon on them (not running hot enough).

You can disagree but you certainly can't say I'm incorrect, nobody's opinion can beat checking the condition of your plugs and what they tell you... I'll trust that over what anyone says.
i have my cold stepped densos sitting in the garage waiting to go in my new block. i wont be installing until after i do another engine break in and i will definitely be tuning with them.

I i agree you, but i disagree with the second sentence. ford figured out the best temperature. im not sure about that. ford also purposely installed the worlds worst intercooler on our cars too. there are reasons for everything of course lol.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
LOL certainly can't argue with that! The only thing I can think of with the intercooler was they were trying to save weight... :crazy:

i have my cold stepped densos sitting in the garage waiting to go in my new block. i wont be installing until after i do another engine break in and i will definitely be tuning with them.

I i agree you, but i disagree with the second sentence. ford figured out the best temperature. im not sure about that. ford also purposely installed the worlds worst intercooler on our cars too. there are reasons for everything of course lol.

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
LOL certainly can't argue with that! The only thing I can think of with the intercooler was they were trying to save weight... :crazy:
....Or purposefully hamstringing the EB so the GT would shine brighter.

It's too easy to get GT performance, or close to it in an EB with very little money. An intercooler that shits the bed in 3rd gear at 50% throttle on a 70 degree day is a really good way of keeping it's performance down.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
....Or purposefully hamstringing the EB so the GT would shine brighter.

It's too easy to get GT performance, or close to it in an EB with very little money. An intercooler that shits the bed in 3rd gear at 50% throttle on a 70 degree day is a really good way of keeping it's performance down.
:ninja: SSSSHHHHH!!! Don't say that too loud. GT owners will hear and get their panties in a bunch. They get real defensive when you threaten their power. It's best to just let them think their loud car is MUCH faster.

Sponsored

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
:ninja: SSSSHHHHH!!! Don't say that too loud. GT owners will hear and get their panties in a bunch. They get real defensive when you threaten their power. It's best to just let them think their loud car is MUCH faster.
In all fairness it is much faster.....If they are both fresh from the factory, and if you consider ~-1 sec 0-60 "much", and if they are a good manual driver, or if they are driving an automatic. That is a lot of IFs though.

Back to the topic though. I haven't done the catch can yet either. I bout it used and it now has about 12k on it 4k of which is mine from the last 7 weeks. Is the CC really thattttt big of a urgency? Also I've looked at the install for the mishimoto and it looked easy enough just a bit too tight and involved for something I'd want to do in my apartment complex parking lot my breakdown kit tools. Only thing is trying to wriggle outta work early to get to a mechanic. :cool:

Just out of curiosity how often do you have to dump the cans usually?

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
In all fairness it is much faster.....If they are both fresh from the factory, and if you consider ~-1 sec 0-60 "much", and if they are a good manual driver, or if they are driving an automatic. That is a lot of IFs though.

Back to the topic though. I haven't done the catch can yet either. I bout it used and it now has about 12k on it 4k of which is mine from the last 7 weeks. Is the CC really thattttt big of a urgency? Also I've looked at the install for the mishimoto and it looked easy enough just a bit too tight and involved for something I'd want to do in my apartment complex parking lot my breakdown kit tools. Only thing is trying to wriggle outta work early to get to a mechanic.

I was talking tuned/bolt-on EB vs stock GT. Stock vs stock...yeah, there's a 125hp gap (more if the EB is heatsoaked).

So, the understanding with a catch can is that it's a preventative maintenance thing. If you don't get one you'll need to have your cylinder head walnut blasted somewhere around 30-45k miles. The catch can will stop oil from getting into your intake and cylinder head. Carbon will still build up, but at a much slower rate.
I've got 5k miles on my EB (a 2015 so I don't even have the revised PCV) and just ordered a catch can today.
You don't NEED a catch can. Your car will run fine without one. Just be ready to drop $800 on walnut blasting in a few years.
I had a 2007 Mazda CX-7 (2.3L turbo 4 - either the same engine in the EB or closely related) that I put around 85k miles on before trading it in on my wife's Sonata hybrid, and I never had it walnut blasted and never ran a catch can in it. I never noticed an issue with it's performance.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Well if you care about the engine I'd say it's a pretty big deal. I do oil changes every 5k and was emptying the can once between oil changes and then at oil changes so about every 2.5k. This last time I thought I could go the full 5k and the oil was all the way up to the baffle. I'll go back to every 2.5k.

Yeah they do a great job at making that install look easy, trust me (or do a search) it's not. You have to get in some VERY small and tight spots to get the hoses connected. End up taking a bunch of stuff off to make it a little easier. Then when you're done, the can sits down too low in a tight area and it's not that easy to get it out. To me, the JLT looks much easier the way it sits up, at least emptying it. It might be just as tough to install, I wouldn't know.

Back to the topic though. I haven't done the catch can yet either. I bout it used and it now has about 12k on it 4k of which is mine from the last 7 weeks. Is the CC really thattttt big of a urgency? Also I've looked at the install for the mishimoto and it looked easy enough just a bit too tight and involved for something I'd want to do in my apartment complex parking lot my breakdown kit tools. Only thing is trying to wriggle outta work early to get to a mechanic. :cool:

Sponsored

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Well if you care about the engine I'd say it's a pretty big deal. I do oil changes every 5k and was emptying the can once between oil changes and then at oil changes so about every 2.5k. This last time I thought I could go the full 5k and the oil was all the way up to the baffle. I'll go back to every 2.5k.

Yeah they do a great job at making that install look easy, trust me (or do a search) it's not. You have to get in some VERY small and tight spots to get the hoses connected. End up taking a bunch of stuff off to make it a little easier. Then when you're done, the can sits down too low in a tight area and it's not that easy to get it out. To me, the JLT looks much easier the way it sits up, at least emptying it. It might be just as tough to install, I wouldn't know.
I ordered the JLT. I'll post impressions on the install after I'm done.

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh if you have a you tube channel and want some views, do an install video and post a link here. I can promise at least 1 view :)

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Nice! The other thing that I like about the new JLT CC is it's 3 oz. My Mishi is only 2 oz. Who knows, maybe I end up replacing mine.

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Oh if you have a you tube channel and want some views, do an install video and post a link here. I can promise at least 1 view :)
Not my style, but I will take pictures (if I remember).

Nice! The other thing that I like about the new JLT CC is it's 3 oz. My Mishi is only 2 oz. Who knows, maybe I end up replacing mine.
The can size and the price were what pushed me towards the JLT in the end. I considered doing the UPR DVCC, since pretty much everyone uses it, but I don't think it's really needed for my use as a daily driver that doesn't race.

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not my style, but I will take pictures (if I remember).
I won't blame ya if you forget, I've meant to document all my small mods but have forgotten every time haha.
Sponsored