Sponsored

2017 Ecboost where do i start

dunesdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang ecoboost
Hey everyone,

I just received my mustang, and i wanna know what should i do to it in terms of aftermarket parts. I already plan on getting the lethal performance down pipe, resonator delete pipe and the MBRP street series exhaust. However , i am not sure if the oil catch can is a must since iv read somewhere that the 2017's do not need one. I am currently still deciding between the Cobb and SCT, I know that the Cobb has more options but their are more people who tune on SCT if i plan on getting a Dyno tune in the future.

Thanks
Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I'm not sure who said the 17 EB doesn't need a CC but I would ignore that advice. The only difference is the improved oil separator that is covered by the TSB. I've done the TSB and still get plenty of oil in my CC. It's the 2.3L engine and had the same issue in the Mazda.

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
Hey everyone,

I just received my mustang, and i wanna know what should i do to it in terms of aftermarket parts. I already plan on getting the lethal performance down pipe, resonator delete pipe and the MBRP street series exhaust. However , i am not sure if the oil catch can is a must since iv read somewhere that the 2017's do not need one. I am currently still deciding between the Cobb and SCT, I know that the Cobb has more options but their are more people who tune on SCT if i plan on getting a Dyno tune in the future.

Thanks
I would do the catch can anyway. better safe than sorry. A lot of people recommend the UPR Dual Valve catch can. Additionally if you go Cobb you'll want to go with Adamtuned (tune+) or if you go sct you want to go with john lund from Lund performance... I think most people will agree there arent many other options that you would "want" to get. thats a coin toss between either of them theyre both great tuners and both great people with great companies. I like your exhaust choice. you need an intercooler on that list before anything though. your tune is going to be limited by heat if you keep the shitty factory intercooler. I have a Levels Performance, but there really arent any "bad" options. a lot of people even buy ebay coolers and rig them up to fit.

Dont forget suspension, steering, and drivetrain upgrades too.

Good luck man. welcome to the forum and the community.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Hey everyone,

Thanks
Just my opinion(.02). I would drive the car a bit before any mods go on(like the tune, etc.). For one, this will give you a baseline of what the car feels like stock. And two, if any problems arise, you can get them taken care of before you start modding.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
I'd do the catch can immediately if not sooner, and then drive it a little and get a feel for it before you start doing 90 different things to it.

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
I would start with a few suspension mods before power mods.
This car is ass happy, and you need to get that addressed first.
I suggest a cradle lock out (BMR CB005), and rear vertical links (Steeda, BMR, Boomba)
This will plant the rear suspension.
Then, before power adders, get an intercooler.

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
I did see in another thread someone spreading a rumor about 17s not needing a catch can, so I will back you up on why you thought that. Like I said rumor though.

Personally the first thing I did was the sequential brake light plug, and full "stage 2" interior lighting I would highly recommend at least the map lights as that is an amazing difference for minimal expense and they were the easiest to do.

It seems you aren't concerned about warranty as it seems like almost everything you mentioned would void various parts of it. Now I haven't done extensive research to confirm as it didn't matter to me but I was told by the exhaust shop I'm going to have my cat-back done at that modifying basically anything in front of the resonator has a higher potential to void the warranty.

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
Also I can confirm the car is ass happy as I very much accidentally/unexpectedly broke it very very loose making a left out of my apartment complex today driving just in normal mode. (still coming down from the adrenaline) All the nannys in the world wouldn't have helped me if I didn't know how to counter steer.

OP
OP

dunesdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang ecoboost
Thanks for the advice guys. I guess the first thing il be doing this month is the catch can, is a single side catch can sufficient ( upr or jlt)?. Regarding the tune, i heard good things about id Motorsports in maryland , however il wait til its a bit warmer and tune.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Trying to select a tuner (hardware) is much more difficult if you're coming from other Mustangs. From my past Mustangs it was easy SCT all the way and like you said, there were a lot of tuners that worked with that platform and the hardware limits the tuner search.

Now we're in a different segment though with the 4 cylinders. Especially small displacement forced induction. This is new to most of the Mustang community but not all tuners that tuned Mustangs. Initially SCT was limiting with the available parameters in the tables which limits the tunes. That made me look harder at other options.

The Cobb Accessport is a GREAT hardware platform. Very easy to use to flash the tune. Then you don't just throw it in the glove compartment and forget it. It also serves as a great monitoring device with customizeable real time gauges and for datalogging. PLUS with this platform, you can literally switch tunes in seconds while driving! I can't say enough good things about the hardware. Then for the Tune, you have Adam at Tune+ who is very experienced with these types of engines already and has tuned hundreds, maybe even thousands of Mustangs and provides great support.

There's also Lund Racing. Jon uses the nGauge, again a unique HW platform. I'm not familiar with it at all but have huge respect for Jon's tuning capabilities. Definitely a major contender to consider.

You can't say Mustang without considering Livernois. They have a close relationship with Ford, have been tuning Mustangs for a long time and are not new to the platform either with their ecoboost program. They use a proprietary tuner that gives them access to parameters that at least early on weren't available to all. The limitation is the hardware isn't good for much else than dumping in the tune. If you want a strong tune though, it would be crazy not to consider them.

I know saying positive things about other tuners will bring out the teeth in some haters but I'd at least talk to those big players . It's best to make an informed decision. You need to feel comfortable you have a good working relationship with your tuner. Switching tuners with the ecoboost likely means switching hardware which is expensive. Before thinking of SCT as the safe choice, check out the tuners you would actually get a tune from and see if it really is that flexible.

Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the advice guys. I guess the first thing il be doing this month is the catch can, is a single side catch can sufficient ( upr or jlt)?. Regarding the tune, i heard good things about id Motorsports in maryland , however il wait til its a bit warmer and tune.
For the CC, if you don't plan on raising the boost much over the factory, I'd stick with the single (dirty) side CC. I really like the JLT which is new, wasn't available when I bought mine. I got the Mishimoto CC which functions very well but was a PITA to install because of the tight spaces. Although it works very well, it's not that easy to dump because of where it sits. Lots of people are sold on the dual CCs but just about everyone I've heard from says they've never gotten anything in their clean side CC.

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Intercooler (if in a hot area of the country)

Performance tune (ford's if you want to maintain the warranty)

Oil separator (mine certainly works great)

Suspension (lowered if you want)

TC :)

BoostedCanadianPoney

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Antoine
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard EB PP base
Honestly get your "safety" mods first, being catch can and colder plugs, then intercooler.

After that drive it around as much as possible to determine what your car needs. (exhaust, tune etc.) each of us is diffrent.
I would do safety then suspension then power mods

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Honestly get your "safety" mods first, being catch can and colder plugs, then intercooler.

After that drive it around as much as possible to determine what your car needs. (exhaust, tune etc.) each of us is diffrent.
I would do safety then suspension then power mods
Don't put colder plugs in without a tune that will require it. You'll probably just end up fouling colder plugs on the stock tune. Even with the Ford Performance tune they recommend you stick with the stock plugs. I absolutely agree with the CC and FMIC before anything else!

BoostedCanadianPoney

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Antoine
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard EB PP base
Don't put colder plugs in without a tune that will require it. You'll probably just end up fouling colder plugs on the stock tune. Even with the Ford Performance tune they recommend you stick with the stock plugs. I absolutely agree with the CC and FMIC before anything else!
You are not correct sir

These are the plugs I run :
https://adamtuned.myshopify.com/col...spark-plugs-pre-gapped-to-tune-specs-set-of-4

It says clearly in purple at the bottom of the page: "Yes, we recommend running these plugs even on stock vehicles. The plugs do not require a tune to see benefits"

I buy them pre gapped to avoid problems. The ECU is smart and will ajust timing accordingly so no worries, been running them for over a year without issues
Sponsored