Sponsored

The Camaro ZL1 1LE is here!

Voodoo

Elite Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Car

In stock form, the Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 is an absolute monster on the race track. That's apparently not good enough for Chevy though. That's why the automaker is giving the ZL1 the 1LE treatment to make it even more of a track-ready weapon.

The Camaro ZL1 1LE made its debut today at Daytona International Speedway, just before this weekend's running of the Daytona 500.

The most obvious visual change between this and a standard ZL1 is the addition downforce-generating aerodynamic devices–there's a giant rear wing, and big dive planes at the front. There's also a new, larger front splitter and a larger grille opening to feed air into the engine.

Power comes from the same 6.2-liter LT4 V8 that's in the standard ZL1. That means 650 horsepower and 650 lb-ft of torque. Interestingly, it seems that the ZL1 1LE will only be offered with a six-speed manual–not the new 10-speed auto Chevy has been so excited about lately.

Arguably the most significant change for the ZL1 1LE, though, is with the suspension. Instead of the standard ZL1's Magnetic Ride shocks, the ZL1 1LE gets Multimatic's genius spool-valve dampers. These are the same sort of shocks used to astonishing effect in the old Camaro Z/28. Beyond the dampers, the ZL1 1LE gets additional suspension tweaks to make it stiffer than the standard car.

The ZL1 1LE also gets new 19-inch forged alloy wheels wrapped in ultra-wide Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires–305s at the front and 325s at the rear.

All in all, these changes add up to a car that's three seconds faster around GM's proving ground than a standard ZL1.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a32747/chevrolet-camaro-zl1-1le-daytona/
Sponsored

OP
OP
Voodoo

Voodoo

Elite Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Car
Chevy is making all kinds of moves. All eyes on Ford.

Khell86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang Gt
I'm sure the thing is fast as hell around a track, but jesus that thing is hideous.

BigMuscle

I'm sure the thing is fast as hell around a track, but jesus that thing is hideous.
It's no more hideous than the new 2018 mustang. The camaro is hideous in a very aggressive way, while the mustang looks like a sloth.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Wow does the ZL-1 look ridiculous! Between the splitter being way too big, tacked on canards and the super ugly grill - it may work but I would be embarassed to drive around in that thing.

Laztug

Wanna run dyno slips bro?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Calling out OKC #1 spot after axle back install.
Not sure if trolling, hating or a bad case of the ugly eye.
I think the car looks amazing, the only thing I don't like about the car is the manual transmission.
I hope ford does not make the same mistake with the gt500.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I think the car looks amazing, the only thing I don't like about the car is the manual transmission.
I am almost willing to bet the new GT500 will have both 6 speed manual and 10 speed automatic options.

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
I'd add it to the fleet just cuz I mean shit this is the golden age of muscle gentlemen and we are living in it.

Would I pay over sticker most likely not bt for another monster track car to go with the 350 and add a z06 z07 package and viper ace plus gt3rs I think I'll be good lol

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Not sure if trolling, hating or a bad case of the ugly eye.
Huh, I think the manual transmission is the good part. Why buy a performance vehicle and then get a boring transmission to go with it? If you want consistency at the drags, you shouldn't really want all that aero. It will slow you down. The big brakes are heavy too.

Do you like the grill? Do you like that bland rear end of the car?

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Why no automatic option?

It's as if there is some sort of issue with an LT4/A10 combo :lol:

What happens if a ZL1LE can't lap faster than the ZL1 A10? Worth the extra $10,000?

Azzurro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium. Race Red
Yes............I wouldn't mind having one. Can you buy one of these for sticker? What's the going rate on these? I'm not going to pay any ADM....EVER !!

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
And it has a flo-tie!

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
Tried out a C5 Camaro once, could not get used to the limited outward visibility.

Throughout the decades Mustangs have always retained a more upright seating position/higher roof line, providing better visibility. That's what sold me and why I refrained from considering anything else.

If it's not ergonomically comfortable, then what's the point?
Sponsored