Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cr3group.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang premium
All, this post is not meant to criticize those vendors (sponsors) that have been weighing in on the various threads here on 6g about design, availability, cost(s), etc. regarding the acquisition of aftermarket, custom steering wheels for a variety of Mustang models. Instead, this is meant to inform the membership about my experience with different vendors over the above issues as there seems to be much discussion about some of these issues. I own a 2016 Ecoboost and like many here, want to add a GT350R (or something similar) wheel in order to dress it up. I started looking here for opinions and information, and found a great deal. Some was provided by site sponsors.....all information was determined to be helpful. Here is what learned.

Bieth Performance Parts (site sponsor).
Owner, seems to be a nice guy, genuinely but difficult to get in touch with. Fairly responsive to posts and PM's here but generally answered my emails once a day (usually after midnight CST where I live) and would not give me access to his phone number citing that he is a new business and does not yet have a business phone, only a personal cell phone that he felt uncomfortable to give out. this left me with the inability to have a real-time conversation about design ideas, pricing, availability, openness about where he gets his wheels (overseas?) etc. and was a deal breaker for me. Prices seemed competitive compared to others but he was unable to provide a wheel that was all leather and/or alcantara suede but was shaped like his carbon fiber wheel, a wheel that has more contour for handgrip and a flatter bottom. He indicated that it was pretty much an either or for shape. One shape for the leather and more contoured shape for the CF style.

Carbon Dynamics (site sponsor)
Got on their website and left 2 email messages through their site with no return email in the past 3-4 days. I tried to PM them through this site and got a message that the PM inbox is full and they can't except any more PM's. I got on Facebook, found their phone number and left a message.......never a return call. Their FB pages has shown their business "closed" all week. As of 10 minutes before this post, the FB page still shows "opens tomorrow."

DTCMS (DTC motor sports)
As recommended by a member here. Fairly easy to get in touch with but emails I sent did not get answered fully. Price a bit more than others.

Here is the best that I found.

Socal Garage Works (www.scgarageworks.com)
I found this site but just surfing Ebay looking for a steering wheel. They actually have a CF wheel for sale there now. I went to their website and FB page and was quickly able to get in touch with the owner, Greg Bauchat who did give me his phone number. He was very responsive by phone and email. His price was well under the others mentioned above, was open to pretty much an design idea and WAS able to provide a wheel that fit my needs: one that was part leather (on top), perforated leather on the sides, and carbon fiber on the bottom.......with custom stitching and center line on top. He gave me a law enforcement (can give a military one too) discount, and gave a tentative delivery date of 4-5 weeks that seems to be consistent with the other vendors. He did tell me that if 5 or more want to get together and place an order, he will discount the price. He sent me several pictures of different wheels and the quality looks top notch.

So for those that are considering a custom wheel, use the information above as you see fit. Again, not meant to demean or criticize any vendor mentioned, just providing information for fellow members about MY experience.
Sponsored

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
link doesn't work for socal, also i'd be interested to hear the review after you receive the wheel. The difference between pictures and in person is sometimes significant.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Thanks for sharing your research and experience. I purchased a wheel through Beith, and found them to be average in regards to communication, but not bad. I hope to see mynwheel in 2 weeks or so. Carbon Dynamics on the other hand like you never responded to me emails or PM's and so they are either out of business or in trouble and can't be trusted. It's no secret all these wheels are coming from China or Taiwan or both as they look identical in every way unless some are stealing photos and using those. Anyway I would have like to see the link you posted scgarageworks but it doesn't work. Maybe you could try linking it again Thanks again for sharing.

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I'm game for group buy.

I'm thinking perf. leather top and bottom. Regular leather sides. Red center marker. What do you think that would look like?

I wish they could match the GT PP dash panel "texture" vs. straight carbon fiber.

JohnBoyNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Can you post the pics for SoCal?

Beith Performance Parts

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.beithperformanceparts.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Constructive feedback is always appreciated.

My track record with other members of this forum speaks for itself. Several wheels supplied to forum members on time, great quality, and prompt communication during the purchase process.

I ensure any personal emails sent through my website are replied same-day, and check the forum PM's throughout the day, which has been my busiest form of communication lately.

Difficult for you to rate 'socalgarage' at this point, since you have not yet received the product. But as far as the ordering process goes, fair comments on the accessibility via phoneline, which is something I am addressing by adding a work phone purely for customer service.

Best of luck with your car and thanks for getting in touch.

OP
OP
stangchief

stangchief

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cr3group.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
As far as "rating" I was only rating his service and ability to provide better design opportunities to this point which was much better than others mentioned in my post. Granted, the jury is still out on delivery and quality of wheel and will give an honest (as I have done here) appraisal of each once I receive it. As is in most business, "service" is generally the most important thing reported by any customer.

Sponsored

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
As far as "rating" I was only rating his service and ability to provide better design opportunities to this point which was much better than others mentioned in my post. Granted, the jury is still out on delivery and quality of wheel and will give an honest (as I have done here) appraisal of each once I receive it. As is in most business, "service" is generally the most important thing reported by any customer.
If its a service based business i would agree, but when what they are selling is a good, i'd argue that the good is just as if not more important than the service.

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I agree with the "service" part. From my experience with Beith so far, it has been great, but I didn't need to call or find out additional information. I been getting updates as he nears shipping the wheel out.

I saw pictures here on the forum and decided to get one. I guess customer service varies from one to another depending on what and how you want your product. I am looking forward to your review of the wheels, but ultimately for me, I am just glad that there is a wealth of information on this forum to help others decide which manufacture to go with. Thanks!

Last edited:

Don

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTPP, Wipple Stage 2
I ordered my wheel through Beith with no communication issues. I just messaged here on the forum, went over my options, prices, and then pulled the trigger.

About prices -- I priced out all the shops I could find with this particular offering (including SoCalGarage) and Beith beat them all. I went with the core exchange option on a leather/carbon wheel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
stangchief

stangchief

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cr3group.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
What am I missing on the price between Beith and SoCal? For a carbon fiber wheel Beith quoted me 720.00 and SoCal quoted me 600.00?

OP
OP
stangchief

stangchief

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cr3group.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
I could have gotten a full leather wheel from SoCal for 500.00 with the same shape as Beith's carbon fiber. Plus, Beith was unable to produce a ful leather wheel that had the shape of his CF wheel....SoCal did....core exchange saves an additional 75.00 so net 425.00 for a full leather wheel or 525.00 for a CF.
Sponsored