Sponsored

Camaro Z/28 Canceled???

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Either carbon wheels or CCB's..otherwise there's no reason to cover the wheels.

Both have NPP and no sunroof. They have the same aero kit, just one has the wing, the other doesn't
Sponsored

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.

Sponsored

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
Not knocking it, and maybe it's just an illusion, but those side windows look like they got smaller. Then again, maybe I don't know what the h*ll I'm talking about.

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
You are aware it's the first time in two years that the Camaro out sold the Mustang right? By 150 cars.......Just sayin.:doh:
I am. Fact is they still sold more. What was said is they can't sell them. Numbers are numbers if the Camaro was so bad, they should not have sold even 1 more than the Mustang. Not sure why it is so important that Mustangs outsell Camaro's in the first place:doh:

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I was simply responding to the member that said "They can't sell the Camaro". That is simply not true and to prove it, more Camaro's were sold than Muatangs in September.

I wish some people would stop getting all butt hurt that some might buy a Camaro. Do you really take someone stating a fact as a personal attack at Mustang owners? Very mature.

I can't believe some Mustang owners seem really insecure.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
They sold more through massive incentives at the corporate and franchise (dealer) level. It proved that the car was too expensive. The size of incentives offered (anywhere from $4k-10k) most definitely cut into a big chunk of the margin on that car, so there's no way they keep that up just to essentially tie.

I am not insecure about the car at all. I drove one and there are some good things about it, better than the S550, but there are a lot of bad things about it. Price is a big one considering most of the things that are better are objective performance measures that you can't utilize daily on the street. Add to the fact that you can't see out of it, and it looks just like the old car to most people.

I would not be surprised if Chevy is slowing/cancelling new variants of the Camaro because of poor sales. Annually it's just above half of what the Mustang sold, not taking into account Global sales for the Mustang.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I was simply responding to the member that said "They can't sell the Camaro". That is simply not true and to prove it, more Camaro's were sold than Muatangs in September.

I wish some people would stop getting all butt hurt that some might buy a Camaro. Do you really take someone stating a fact as a personal attack at Mustang owners? Very mature.

I can't believe some Mustang owners seem really insecure.
I just wish some on here would quit trying so hard to be cute. And just realize when they failed in their attempts at being cute.:headbonk:

OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Is it canceled?

If it's a ZL1 with a wing, 15.5-15 inch carbon ceramic brakes and Forged wheels wrapped in 315/325's... shouldn't it be?

Ever heard of the 2015 z06? How they tried to accomplish that and had aweful results.

If the ZL1 is $65,000 now, how much is a 2019 z28 going to be? $82,000??? They don't think the same issue will arise once again? Who is managing this again?

OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I wouldn't be shocked if all the z28 pieces are moved over to the ZL1 for a ZL1 Carbon Editon because that is really all this z28 would be anyway. Just as the 1LE stopped being competition driven and become option laden, essentially a 3SS... any LT4 equip'd with equipment other than what's standard on the 1LE is a z28.

Are they going to test a GT4 entry at all? Or are they just going to keep running 5th Gen GS.R's and z28's? I've never seen a manufacturer boast so much about lap times and racing without ever seeing there product on the track at a Pro event.

With the current sales rate set on "horrible", it only makes sense to continue to spend money... It's always important to stick to your guns and stay and go down with the ship. Instead of making 3, not so special models, why didn't they dump all the 1Le and ZL1 $$$ into a brand new, sole surviving 2017 Z/28 with its own drivetrain and everything for GT350 money ($56,000). A serious effort in Motorsport purhaps?

An LT4 z28 would be even worse than the Frankenstein 2014 z28 that ruined the GS class. A 7 liter engine in GS was an embarrassment to American cars and it turned a lot of people off. An LT4 z28 would be taking it another step and finally using the name again for quick profits :(

Childs Play

But Wait! There's More!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Shitbox
Who is managing this again?
Thankfully not you...

Otherwise no telling what type of vehicle would exist on the road.

I'm assuming it would have tires that were 4 feet wide to help with track width, weigh 3800 lbs or 200 less than that but not really. It would have a clear bubble roof you could turn around and see in all directions because that's what matters in a car at all times, and it would be 900hp N/A with no dyno sheet because proof isn't important. I'm also assuming it would need exactly 2.25" more leg room than the current Camaro because that makes or breaks a good race car.

Oh and it would be #1 in SCCA.

OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Thankfully not you...

Otherwise no telling what type of vehicle would exist on the road.

I'm assuming it would have tires that were 4 feet wide to help with track width, weigh 3800 lbs or 200 less than that but not really. It would have a clear bubble roof you could turn around and see in all directions because that's what matters in a car at all times, and it would be 900hp N/A with no dyno sheet because proof isn't important. I'm also assuming it would need exactly 2.25" more leg room than the current Camaro because that makes or breaks a good race car.

Oh and it would be #1 in SCCA.
The Camaro doesn't fit into a Sports Car/Race Car role. None of that has anything to do with the way it looks. Vehicles that have a large footprint are very limited as far as performance other than acceleration. Seeing the entire Camaro engineering team competing in the SCCA Regionals seems promising but it is a little too late. As it stands, the Camaro will need to maintain a rather larger output advantage in order to compete... and it's far too early to think of another platform. All the fastest lap times in the world doesn't mean squat if they can't get into OEM racing. It's how the Corvette does it and the Camaro doesn't follow suit.

What the fans will likely get is spiced up ZL1 as the new z28. If you look at the ZL1's standard equipment, you will find there is a lot left to be desired. That's why they left the ZL1 on 285's and smaller rotors.

Personally, I wouldn't think this surprises anyone. It is very predictable... and that is what gets the Camaro in trouble.

Chevy has returned back to the Ring where they have total control of the situation. The z06 has had extreme issues with the LT4 and those issues have definitely carried over. That is scary...

It is almost as scary as creating yet another high priced z28. But this time, the z28 isn't a one off brand, race only, highly unique automobile. It is merely a ZL1 Carbon or what should be called "ZL1 Carbon".

If they decide to put z28 on another experimental model option and push it as heritage what do they expect? The original formula has been compromised...

Right now, GT4 is all the talk and every manufactuer wants to attend. The GT350 is American cars champion and I highly doubt Chevy has an answer for it. An honest answer... not some forced induction V8 that pulls 50% of your power after 12 minutes. With sales in the ditch and stock piling up, I would have severe reservations about pushing out too many models. The ZL1LE Program is smart and if they can get into the black, it won't be from huge sales. It will be from a lack of spending...

Bottom line? Chevy doesn't have a good enough Camaro nor a good enough drivetrain to compete in GT4 against the champion GT350 and the Porsche GT4 itself.

When the going gets tuff, there's always the Corvette and that's what I think will show up in 2017-'18.
Sponsored