Sponsored

Camaro Z/28 Canceled???

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Just got addional word that it is under discussion at C6.com. Apparently the decision was made sometime in September to "Pull" the nameplate from the Alpha Camaro lineup. Certain witnesses were on hand and I guess on location to hear it for themselves.

thePill began to hear about the possibility sometime in the Summer. I would need to go back and look to see when. The decision officially came sometime in September, as well as a few other things.

Most sources site poor sales as a reason for the z28 to be pulled. I can totally agree with that. However, I would like to add that the Mid-Engine C8 Corvette needed funding too. One source suggest that the LT5 was Trademarked sometime in September and the Mid-Engine C8 soaked up a lot of funding from other Performance Divisions.

If you think about it, Chevy doesn't have a unique or competitive drivetrain to equip a z28 with. The Corvette needs a mid-engine set up and it needs a Twin Turbo like no other.

The issue with the z28 is similar to the GT500. The Mustang could have extreme difficulty using a Parallel Twin Turbo V8. This LT5 is being designed for mid-engine placement too. Not going to be cost friendly to fit it up front on a front engine platform. A V6 would be much simpler to move around...

...a Parallel Twin Turbo V8 won't fit in an OEM 6th Gen Camaro :)
Sponsored

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Don't forget that it was always in the plans for the Gen 6 Camaro to sell fewer but at a higher margin than the Gen 6 Mustang, so poor sales cannot factor in of course. The 20% discount only increases the G6C margins and makes the Z28 more viable. :ninja:

Would be interesting if true, as GM seems to be in the "one up" game. I do not see them letting the GT350 reign supreme, even if they have to bet the farm to make it happen...

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
If it is cancelled, the reason I could see is where does it fit in the line up? Last gen, it was the top dog camaro for track use. Just going by what the car mags have said, the 1LE is pretty damn good. Add the extra hp of the ZL1 to it and for a few laps it should be plenty faster than the 1LE. Where does the Z/28 fit? I don't see GM giving it a unique engine because they have never done that in the past(recently speaking). If its only marginally faster than the 1LE but the cost is up there with the ZL1 does it really have a place in the line up?

OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
If the ZR1 Corvette is a Hi-Po version of the Z06, I assume the Z28 was going to be a "Race Ready" extreme version of the ZL1. If you look at the ZL1's standard equipment, you instantly notice it needs brakes, wheel and tire. In fact, the ZL1 and 1LE program are one in the same :( Not many differences exist between the two... call it the ZL1LE Program.

That is the only way a 2018 Z28 could exceed the ZL1 is if it's being built from an existing program. That was the magic Chevy used to keep some of cost low... A 1 LE is an SS w/ all the options, a ZL1 is a supercharged 1LE and a Z28 would have been a ZL1 with brakes and tire. It would have been close to or higher than the last z28 at $72,000. Maybe the ZR1 gets an LT2 version of the engine? Maybe a primitive version of a Gen 2 LT1 or LT2?

Some suggest the LT5 was destined to go in a Z28... but what is an LT5?

A Twin Turbo they say but what kind? A parallel twin turbo won't fit in an S550 nor an S197. How can a parallel twin or BiTurbo fit under the hood of a front engine car? If the S550 struggles the Alpha Camaro will struggle. A parallel twin turbo would be great if it fit but I feel it's best at home on a mid-engine Corvette. If Chevy builds the C8 around a TT V8, it will be difficult for Ford to respond up to a point. I guess a larger V6 could always get it done.

Regardless, there is no official word as of today. As I hear it, there are people within the program red with fury and some still in disbelief. I want to hear from management though...

...people on production lines talk, people at Camaro meets can't contain emotion and some people take to social media.

thePill will keep you informed...

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
They can't even sell the regular Camaros, I can see why they wouldn't want to fund a higher priced version.

Sponsored

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
Just got addional word that it is under discussion at C6.com. Apparently the decision was made sometime in September to "Pull" the nameplate from the Alpha Camaro lineup. Certain witnesses were on hand and I guess on location to hear it for themselves.

thePill began to hear about the possibility sometime in the Summer. I would need to go back and look to see when. The decision officially came sometime in September, as well as a few other things.

Most sources site poor sales as a reason for the z28 to be pulled. I can totally agree with that. However, I would like to add that the Mid-Engine C8 Corvette needed funding too. One source suggest that the LT5 was Trademarked sometime in September and the Mid-Engine C8 soaked up a lot of funding from other Performance Divisions.

If you think about it, Chevy doesn't have a unique or competitive drivetrain to equip a z28 with. The Corvette needs a mid-engine set up and it needs a Twin Turbo like no other.

The issue with the z28 is similar to the GT500. The Mustang could have extreme difficulty using a Parallel Twin Turbo V8. This LT5 is being designed for mid-engine placement too. Not going to be cost friendly to fit it up front on a front engine platform. A V6 would be much simpler to move around...

...a Parallel Twin Turbo V8 won't fit in an OEM 6th Gen Camaro :)

Shoulda known it was you starting this thread lol

Btw you should really stop talking in third person...makes you sound crazy :lol::crazy:

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
If it doesn't show up by next April...I'd say it's probably not going to arrive.

They may be waiting to see how the ZL1 sells before they go on the Z/28 for sure.

OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
If it doesn't show up by next April...I'd say it's probably not going to arrive.

They may be waiting to see how the ZL1 sells before they go on the Z/28 for sure.
This is the most reasonable route however, this particular rumor was accompanied by many, many independent sources not associated with the media. The media is on lock down too because they will no longer discuss Z28 topics.

The ZL1 is slowly rolling out and if it sinks, it will be aweful. Keep in mind, the A10 and Convertible ZL1's are delayed until Q2 2017. That could account for as many as 75% of sales.

If Chevy had a projected target number like 10,000 a year and it only sold 2500 due to technical issues, it's not only going to push the Z28 back, it could get the ZL1's future pushed back.

Good call 1320 and I feel the A10 and Vert delays for the ZL1 created a compound issue.

Poor Camaro sales
Poor previous Gen Z28 sales
Major delay in the ZL1 Program
Corvette Performance took priority
No competitive engine option

Not much working for a Z28's cause...

legendary mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 mustang gt
This is the most reasonable route however, this particular rumor was accompanied by many, many independent sources not associated with the media. The media is on lock down too because they will no longer discuss Z28 topics.

The ZL1 is slowly rolling out and if it sinks, it will be aweful. Keep in mind, the A10 and Convertible ZL1's are delayed until Q2 2017. That could account for as many as 75% of sales.

If Chevy had a projected target number like 10,000 a year and it only sold 2500 due to technical issues, it's not only going to push the Z28 back, it could get the ZL1's future pushed back.

Good call 1320 and I feel the A10 and Vert delays for the ZL1 created a compound issue.

Poor Camaro sales

Not much working for a Z28's cause...[/QUOTno one want to buy another over priced z28.that junk will not sell either.:lol::cheers:

legendary mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 mustang gt

Poor Camaro sales

Oct

Brand new 2017 Corvette C7 Z06 cars keep drivers busy (tow truck drivers, that :lol::lol::lol:

Sponsored

legendary mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 mustang gt

Poor Camaro sales

Sep

2016 Chevrolet Camaro joins C7 Corvette Stingray and Z06 as a NO SELLER on General Motors dealers lots:lol::lol:

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS

Poor Camaro sales

I think most of that is agreeable. But "no competitive engine." The LT1 is competitive. If it wasn't, the 1LE is close if not ahead of the 350. And I'm pretty sure the Grand Sport does just fine with a "non competitive engine."

OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I think most of that is agreeable. But "no competitive engine." The LT1 is competitive. If it wasn't, the 1LE is close if not ahead of the 350. And I'm pretty sure the Grand Sport does just fine with a "non competitive engine."
If the Covette GS.R is GT4 bound (PWC or CTSC) with the GT350RC, there is little or no chance for a 1LE.

The reason the GT350 is competitive with the LT1 C7 is primarily drivetrain. If the Camaro carries a lesser footprint and lower output than the GT350, it won't do very well in GT4.

The 1LE wasn't really designed for competition this time. The 5th Gen 1LE was mostly competitive engineering on their part and put the 5th Gen in #1 in ProSolo. The 1LE was developed in T2 and it was even more Race and Track than the z28 which did none of the required homologation.

How I see it? The LS7.R or 5.5R is still being used on the Corvette side right? Is there an LT1 homologated anywhere?

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Z/28 back on again?

I was hunting for more '18MY Mustang news, but I 'spose this'll have to do!

http://jalopnik.com/is-this-the-new-camaro-z-28-1787925595

Mind you, not being a Camaro expert, I this looks just like the ZL1 to me. And, those wheels covers look like what the GT350 prototypes were wearing so..........carbon wheels?

qb5315jwnfib5qfv2fqv.jpg

h4o95rz14elfunigpmgq.jpg

ossqikhldiy111xv4tr1.jpg

chonbk2snluvo7ay2te9.jpg

gexaqaa9j5qxw3zrhc1f.jpg

ke2mdwikegzax2a1q9wu.jpg

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
You mean to tell me that thePill doesn't have sources? Or that his sources are the same ones who told him the 1SS will be 3800 pounds.

All kidding aside. It looks like there will be two versions of the Z. Like the 350 and R. Anways. It's a great time to be good dudes and chicks.
Sponsored