Sponsored

Custom/Home-made EB Exhaust sound clips

MagnaFlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550
Would that unit result in only more decibels or would it alter the tone, as well?

Can you point me toward any good resources that discuss the different system variables (muffler shape, size, baffle tech, piping size/length, etc.) and their impact of exhaust sound? This is something I've been interested in for a long time, and most of the materials I've found have focused on the manifold/header design.
Really curious as well. I've not found anything on how exhaust changes effect the sound. even on a super general level would be interesting. Everything I've learned is from reading posts on forums and my own multiple builds of exhausts on f-bodies.
Changing the size of the muffler will affect the tone, too. We do not know of any places at this time that would have information laid out in that fashion. All people interpret sound differently, so it would be impossible to say that one tone would be the same for everyone.

Even if someone were to document all those factors, things are complicated further when you consider how types of motors react differently to certain changes/setups. You could probably write an entire novel on this topic and still not cover everything. Exhausting, we know. :p

I'll be going custom some time within the next week or so...hopefully!
I'll be using the same mufflers that are on the competition setup and doing a resonator delete with 2.5in piping. I'm also taking my rear valance to body shop to have it fit quads! They said they will make the valance look OEM with rolled edges. I really hope he does as good of a job as when he was explaining it to me. [emoji16][emoji1431]

Awesome! Let us know how it comes out!
Sponsored

OP
OP
RubyRed15

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
Changing the size of the muffler will affect the tone, too.
Smaller case = higher tone/pitch?

We do not know of any places at this time that would have information laid out in that fashion. All people interpret sound differently, so it would be impossible to say that one tone would be the same for everyone.
Fair enough.

MagnaFlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550
Smaller case = higher tone/pitch?
Speaking very broadly, as the size of the muffler decreases, volume will increase, and tone will get higher with more rasp in MOST cases. There are a ton more factors at play, which all effect the final sound. For example, if you were to look at our competition catback for the GT from only a muffler standpoint, you would expect it to have a loud, raspy sound to it, when in reality its the exact opposite. The layout of the pipes, diameter, muffler packing etc. all have come into play to effect the final sound.

OP
OP
RubyRed15

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
Speaking very broadly, as the size of the muffler decreases, volume will increase, and tone will get higher with more rasp in MOST cases. There are a ton more factors at play, which all effect the final sound. For example, if you were to look at our competition catback for the GT from only a muffler standpoint, you would expect it to have a loud, raspy sound to it, when in reality its the exact opposite. The layout of the pipes, diameter, muffler packing etc. all have come into play to effect the final sound.
I understand that there are a tremendous number of variables to consider in a complete system, so my question was really only concerning different sizes of the same muffler, like the 14" and 18" units mentioned previously, and I believe you answered this question. Thank you.

stormtrooper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I went with a custom Vibrant setup. I am loving it so far. No quite you think its stock putting around and idling. Used one of their resonators and 2 of their mufflers.

Check out my youtube channel to see some examples of it. I had it put on around September of last year. So any videos before that I had just a magnaflow muffler in place. Which sounded terrible IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsg6P-lkWPovSUJDGed0Y1Q

Sponsored

bguerrero13

bguerrero13
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
Black Appearance PKG Ecoboost Premium
So just an update on getting my custom quad exhaust and valance done. I just had my exhaust done a couple days ago, and it sounds so good! I'm loving the new sound it has. Very deep and aggressive [emoji48][emoji1417]

I'll be doing a couple sound videos once I have the valance and tips welded on this Friday.

I ended up going with a Y-pipe in replace of the resonator, and kept the stock diameter (2.25in) all the way to the Comp. MF. Mufflers. The guy recommend, so I don't loose back pressure.

Datalux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EcoBoost, Premium, Auto, PP
I just have to ask, with everyone doing these resonator deletes, are you guys getting a lot of droning at various RPM's? Just seems the resonator is there for that specific reason.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
I hated it without the resonator but still didn't get a lot of drone.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

MagnaFlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550
I just have to ask, with everyone doing these resonator deletes, are you guys getting a lot of droning at various RPM's? Just seems the resonator is there for that specific reason.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
The results usually vary, but anytime you remove a muffling/resonating body from the exhaust, you are making it more susceptible to drone. From the feedback we have heard, there is some drone present, but it is livable in most cases .

Cmw458

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow black ford mustang ecoboost premium PP
So would doing the resonator delete and replacing it with the single in dual out muffler help with the drone?

I am kicking around the idea of using the 12288 muffler as previously posted and then going straight back from there on out.

Sponsored

sk8erord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Performance Pack
I don't really notice any drone, and that's my exact setup. I really need to find some time to make a vid... :p

Cmw458

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool. I'm hoping to get to the local shop this weekend and see what my out of pocket would be. I have the MAP intercooler and intake sitting in boxes just waiting for an exhaust so I can put everything on together at the same time.

MagnaFlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550
So would doing the resonator delete and replacing it with the single in dual out muffler help with the drone?

I am kicking around the idea of using the 12288 muffler as previously posted and then going straight back from there on out.
That setup will work well! Having some form of resonator in place will minimize the drone and raspy sound.

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
Usually if you keep the stock mufflers on when you delete the resonator, really no issue at all. I had this setup with a downpipe and it was perfect, only loud during wot and very low key which I like

Cmw458

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I need to stop coming to this forum lol. I said I was gonna stay pretty much stock besides a tune intake and drop in filter. Now I've got an appointment for a new intercooler and intake install...and now I just went to my local exhaust shop yesterday and ordered the 12288 with straights back...and now I kind of want to find an upgraded catted downpipe... fml...and my bank account that doesn't have thousands of dollars sitting in it lol
Sponsored