Sponsored

Custom/Home-made EB Exhaust sound clips

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
Somebody posted a clip of their custom exhaust a while back which had an off-the-shelf, single in/dual out muffler (could have been a single/single with a split pipe) in the area where the stock resonator goes, and that's all I can remember (other than really liking it). As such, I can't even describe it, never mind find it in a search.

Rather than just making a fairly pointless request to post up the clip I can barely remember, I thought maybe we could have a thread dedicated to custom/hand-built exhausts for the EB. Post 'em if you got 'em!
Sponsored

DansEBM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost PP Mustang
I've wondered about custom made exhaust myself, would be great to experiment with some designs and see if it goes anywhere, I know thier are a lot of exhaust out there but either they are using regular designs which already exist, which is why they mostly sound the same, or the exhaust tones are limited due to the nature of cars engine, is it possible to tune the note just like you would a musical instrument and get a better sound ?

OP
OP
RubyRed15

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
is it possible to tune the note just like you would a musical instrument and get a better sound ?
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: you'll need an engineering degree, because the input factors go all the way to the intake.

DansEBM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost PP Mustang
Well hopefully someone has done thier homework but is keeping quite for now. I'm sure it will be a hot seller if someone does it because until now my muffler delete has been good, but wish it was better.

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Buy a welder and parts and go to town. I've built a bunch of exhaust systems on f-bodies and played with mine a little bit on the mustang.

I have a Ultimate Racing single 3" on the car and did a quick straight pipe to replace the tail section of my exhaust just for fun. It was stupid loud and sounded like trash but ehhh still fun to play with scrap pipe.

Video....

Also a dynomax race muffler with a turndown for the winter as I don't want to mess up the nice shiny muffler and tips on the UE exhaust in the salt. I'll cut this apart and do a nicer larger tip or turndown in the spring.

Video of this one...

Sponsored

ECM90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Op, I don't know if you were talking about mine, but you described my exact setup I posted a while back. Had it done at exhaust shop for $250 if I recall right. Single in dual out magnaflow in place of resonator. Mufflers deleted. Much less expensive alternative to a brand name assembled CAT backs and makes the exhaust system, IMO sounds just as good if not better in some cases. Also, much less restrictive than the stock setup, providing performance gains. Magnaflow is straight through design, so from cat back I have pretty much wide open flow. Exhaust is as quiet as stock at idle and almost as quiet low rpm, but she screams when you open her up.

OP
OP
RubyRed15

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
Op, I don't know if you were talking about mine, but you described my exact setup I posted a while back. Had it done at exhaust shop for $250 if I recall right. Single in dual out magnaflow in place of resonator. Mufflers deleted. Much less expensive alternative to a brand name assembled CAT backs and makes the exhaust system, IMO sounds just as good if not better in some cases. Also, much less restrictive than the stock setup, providing performance gains. Magnaflow is straight through design, so from cat back I have pretty much wide open flow. Exhaust is as quiet as stock at idle and almost as quiet low rpm, but she screams when you open her up.

That must be it because it sounds better than pretty much all exhaust kits. Do you recall which muffler you used? Any other videos?

sk8erord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Performance Pack
I've done that - Magnaflow single in/dual out where the resonator is, and straight pipes where the factory mufflers were. This is an old vid shot with a cell phone. I'll see if I can take a video with a better mic.
[ame]

OP
OP
RubyRed15

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
I've done that - Magnaflow single in/dual out where the resonator is, and straight pipes where the factory mufflers were. This is an old vid shot with a cell phone. I'll see if I can take a video with a better mic.
Same question to you: which p/n muffler?

Sponsored

sk8erord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Performance Pack
OP
OP
RubyRed15

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP

ECM90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
That must be it because it sounds better than pretty much all exhaust kits. Do you recall which muffler you used? Any other videos?

I'll have to try to find the part #. There's only a couple sizes of the single in dual out magnaflows. I just went into the exhaust shop, told them to put straight pipes in place of the mufflers, and put a straight through muffler design where the resonator was, which required a single in dual out, and I was recommended the magnaflow for the straight through design. He showed me the magnaflow before install, the internal construction is a straight Y pipe that is perforated.

Labor and parts (magnaflow, straight-pipe, shop materials, etc.) all out the door was $350. I was mistaken in my last post trying to recall what I paid months ago (Thought it was $250) However, I'm in the DC area and everything is inflated, I'm sure you could find a better deal depending on where you're located.

Also, the video was taken the day I put it on, before break-in of the packing material that surrounds the perforated Y pipe and before I had a tune. I think it sounds even better now and the engine has a slightly different note with the tune (different timing, A/F and etc) I'll try to post another video when I get a chance, maybe do a couple drive bys.

OP
OP
RubyRed15

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
I think it sounds even better now and the engine has a slightly different note with the tune (different timing, A/F and etc) I'll try to post another video when I get a chance, maybe do a couple drive bys.
That would be great, thanks.

MagnaFlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550
http://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=12288

Though I'm wishing I'd gone with a shorter muffler - it's still pretty quiet.

Here is a link to my original post on my exhaust.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=755194&postcount=17

Also had 4" double walled SS tips put on.
The muffler linked is a common size used for this type of mod, but for anyone curious, we do offer the same one in a smaller 14" length, which would have less muffling. Part number 12198 (satin) or 14221 (polished).
Sponsored