Sponsored

Mishimoto Intercooler Impressions

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
Did you have to have torrie write a new tune after you installed it? I'm ordering mine in 2 weeks from him, black and spark plugs with his tune
If you have any other power mods coming I would wait, but if not certainly go for it. I didn't have an E30 revision post IC mainly due to a fuel supply issue but he did a great job of tuning a 91 tune with the IC. I finally got E30 back and am just going to wait until I get all the parts installed before we finalize the tune. Power wise I'm probably done until Spring (Cavalli?!)
Sponsored

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
I have the 93 tune, and I a mishi oil catch can, I really liked their black Fmic, I have a black ecoboost and want it to blend. I have about $1000 to spend and wasn't sure if I should pull trigger on that and a Cold air, but everything I'm hearing about that is its more for sound and looks, not much performance.....

Joe_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I have the 93 tune, and I a mishi oil catch can, I really liked their black Fmic, I have a black ecoboost and want it to blend. I have about $1000 to spend and wasn't sure if I should pull trigger on that and a Cold air, but everything I'm hearing about that is its more for sound and looks, not much performance.....
That's why I went with a drop in air filter for now. An actual CAI will be the last thing on my list unless I come across a really good deal.

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
That's what I have now a drop in

Joe_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
You know what I have an MRT downpipe, and at the same time I had my resonator deleted and a Y pipe put in, and I don't really notice any difference in power only sound.... Is this normal? It's catted but I talked to MAP and everyone and it only makes a couple horsepower difference.

Joe_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
You know what I have an MRT downpipe, and at the same time I had my resonator deleted and a Y pipe put in, and I don't really notice any difference in power only sound.... Is this normal? It's catted but I talked to MAP and everyone and it only makes a couple horsepower difference.
I'm not sure to be honest. I am getting a catless one and then I have to get a revised tune for it but I will be sure to let everyone know if I feel any difference before and after the tune. Adam from MAP said those were the next two mods I should get after I got a tune.

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
I was told the same thing that's why I did it, maybe it's just me or maybe I have an exhaust leak or something...

sk8erord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Performance Pack
I got the full race on pre sale, only reason I have one. [emoji14]

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Sponsored

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
Agree 100%. Bought and installed mine last week. So much better - especially with Adam's tune from MAP!
Great to hear! Thanks for picking up our cooler!

This should be a must do. It was my second mod after charge temps went 170+ while tuning. First shakedown I logged and temps while cruising were 138*. As soon as I got on it 0-100, the temps nose dived below 120 to a trough of around 112-118 while under full boost in 3rd-4th gear. They then came back up to "normal" while under decel and cruise.

I continue to see the same performance over and over.

I did the install in about 45 minutes having done a front bumper removal before (and using power tools) and studying install videos prior to install.
Agreed, the stock tube-and-fin unit is just not capable of transferring enough heat to cool the stock EBM. Quite sad, but this is easily remedied by replacing it with a larger bar-and-plate cooler. We are finding a similar story with other EcoBoost powered models (Fiesta, Focus).

Thanks for posting your results!

Does anyone have the black one. Would the black model be a bit less efficient since it would have a coat of paint on it?
I have it and it works great. I think Mishimoto did a writeup on how paint doesn't affect the performance, but I can't find it right at the moment.

*EDIT* - Info here: http://engineering.mishimoto.com/?cat=200#Surface Finish
Thanks Sk8! In general, any intercooler coating will have a minimal impact on actual cooling efficiency. Additionally, the color of the coating will not cause an appreciable difference in heat transfer. An intercooler cools by convection, and the insulating layer of protection will not provide a noticeable difference in performance. We actually conducted a test on both a raw and painted intercooler to evaluate any differences in temperature or power output. Our results indicated that both were essentially identical! Our coolers are coated for protection against damage from road debris. We also find the powder-coat to provide a more aesthetically pleasing final product.

Yea I wouldn't worry about the paint. I know they're finishing WRX FMIC in gold....kinda want that.
Our lineup of gold intercoolers is ever expanding. If we get enough interest in one for the EBM, we can certainly consider adding it as well.

Ugh. Trying so hard to make it to the first oil change stock!
Ah yes, the battle of practical spending vs. enjoyment. I won’t put forth my biased opinion, so perhaps others can chime in with advice.

Lovin my Mishi IC in Blk. Also like the warranty, and the fact that Mishimoto is not going anywhere, products are EXTENSIVELY tested too.
Thanks Doc!

Yes. This is why:

Both taken on days with ~89-94* ambients. Both after repeated runs 0-100.

I meant to grab shots of both logs with identical info showing but nonetheless these are both 0-100 runs.

Obviously the car post intercooler install will be running much better with less timing being yanked.
Awesome, thanks for posting up the plots. Nice results here.

Enjoy the cooler!

It is entirely up to you! As noted by others, the intake system is going to add quite a bit of intake sound. This includes turbo spool and BPV sounds. On the stock tune, we certainly added some power to the EBM, to the note of 8whp and 9wtq. On a tuned vehicle, these gains may be slightly less. For the amount noted, you could pick up our FMIC and our newly developed 3” downpipe. Not sure if you wanted to go down the road of exhaust modification quite yet but it is something else to consider.

Thanks!

Thr Mishimoto unit is very nice. I run the Black one on our shop car. Purchase here:http://www.riptuning.com/product-p/mmint-mus4-15bk-.htm
Thanks!

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
I actually have a downpipe now an MRT, but I will be getting the mishi front mount in the next couple weeks in black, very excited

OP
OP
ryant601

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
I think this is spiraling - I had intended this to just be a Mishimoto FMIC thread. I see all sorts of other vendors/products mentioned in here.

I tried.

OVRKILL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Built '91 Land Cruiser, '15 EB PP MT
This is painful. I've been waiting for two months to have a free day to install my Mishi FMIC. Soon!

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
This is painful. I've been waiting for two months to have a free day to install my Mishi FMIC. Soon!
Damn I didn't last more than 2 days before I got mine on lol
Sponsored