Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
I make holes on the driver side grill in order to create a straight path for the air into the airbox. Inlet pressure now shows 0.04 to 0.08 PSI while cruising. Max pressure loss observed was -0.71 PSI during WOT with about 25.54 PSI of boost. So there is a measurable difference from makes those holes, just not sure if it's big enough to make any difference in performance.
Like this?
Sponsored

16EcomustangDIB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Camaro SS1LE
I did the same thing, though not as much as you did.

BigChief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Coupe, 19 GT350
I have a question on the mmr intake or any intake where the filter is down in the fender instead of in the engine bay: how hard is it to get the filter out to clean and is there any risk of any water getting sucked up on rainy wet days or driving through puddles? I just got a 17 ecoboost and it's my daily driver so I don't want to run that risk.

clubamericalara

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
dont get an mmr intake or any after market intake for that matter. do a little bit of research and you'll see that the stock airbox is the best option performance wise. if your wanting sound, simply vent to atmosphere. advice from someone who has installed an mmr intake and an airraid intake on my car.

Reactions: af3

Sponsored

BigChief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Coupe, 19 GT350
dont get an mmr intake or any after market intake for that matter. do a little bit of research and you'll see that the stock airbox is the best option performance wise. if your wanting sound, simply vent to atmosphere. advice from someone who has installed an mmr intake and an airraid intake on my car.
I've read that the stock intake is pretty efficient. I'm really going for the sound more than anything. I love hearing the turbo spool. I've also seen an air raid tube with the stock box and a green filter are a good option too. What are the thoughts on that?

Blyman93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang (Black)
I've read that the stock intake is pretty efficient. I'm really going for the sound more than anything. I love hearing the turbo spool. I've also seen an air raid tube with the stock box and a green filter are a good option too. What are the thoughts on that?
Adam told me that was the best option. I have a MAP intake currently but am eventually gonna switch to the stock/airaid/green filter combo. He said the other big tube CAI lose top end power.

clubamericalara

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
the air raid modular air tube is recommended, but for sound i would just vent to atmosphere (very easy mod) and throw on a green filter. your gonna say holy s**t from upgrading the intercooler (theres one on the classifieds page for $300) and a reputable tuner. (tune + or unleased)

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
I made holes on the driver side grill in order to create a straight path for the air into the airbox. Inlet pressure now shows 0.04 to 0.08 PSI while cruising. Max pressure loss observed was -0.71 PSI during WOT with about 25.54 PSI of boost. So there is a measurable difference from makes those holes, just not sure if it's big enough to make any difference in performance.
Added the Airaid intake tube and run another test. Max pressure loss observed was -0.34 PSI during with just a little over 24 PSI of boost. So it did make a measurable difference.

Sponsored

BigChief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Coupe, 19 GT350
Added the Airaid intake tube and run another test. Max pressure loss observed was -0.34 PSI during with just a little over 24 PSI of boost. So it did make a measurable difference.
Can you explain what this means to a newbie?

16Fastback

RMR 8985
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fastback , 2009 Ranger 4x4
Installed today test it tomorrow,sounds much better :)
20170401_151110.jpg

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Can you explain what this means to a newbie?
Generally, less intake restriction and pressure drop between the turbo and intake manifold, less the turbo has to work in order to meet the target boost level. For example, if combined pressure drop is 5 PSI, and requested boost is 20 PSI, then the turbo has to "work" for 25 PSI to get you 20 PSI, which means more felt lag and hotter charge. I honestly don't know how big of an impact was made by reducing 0.37 PSI worth of restriction. I did feel a drop in the turbo lag, but I also did hot and cold side charge piping upgrade at the same time.

Below is a great article regarding restrictions and their effects on turbos.

http://stratifiedauto.com/blog/a-technical-discussion-of-intakes-and-turbocharging/

Last edited:

BigChief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Coupe, 19 GT350
Generally, less intake restriction and pressure drop between the turbo and intake manifold, less the turbo has to work in order to meet the target boost level. For example, if combined pressure drop is 5 PSI, and requested boost is 20 PSI, then the turbo has to "work" for 25 PSI to get you 20 PSI, which means more felt lag and hotter charge. I honestly don't know how big of an impact was made by reducing 0.37 PSI worth restriction. I did feel a drop in the turbo lag, but I also did hot and cold side charge piping upgrade at the same time.

Below is a great article regarding restrictions and their effects on turbos.

http://stratifiedauto.com/blog/a-technical-discussion-of-intakes-and-turbocharging/
Cool, thanks for the explanation. Never had a turbo motor before so I'm learning something new.

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
I made holes on the driver side grill in order to create a straight path for the air into the airbox. Inlet pressure now shows 0.04 to 0.08 PSI while cruising. Max pressure loss observed was -0.71 PSI during WOT with about 25.54 PSI of boost. So there is a measurable difference from makes those holes, just not sure if it's big enough to make any difference in performance.
So you drilled the side of the ecoboost grill to the intake? On the GT, this is open so the big mouth snorkel can be installed. If us ecoboost people want it, we need the GT grill, or drill the section out like you did. Has anyone with an ecoboost tried this:
http://www.velossatechdesign.com/product/2015-2017-s550-mustang-big-mouth-ram-air-kit/

I hear they work well on the focus st
Sponsored