Mishimoto Intercooler Impressions

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
the mishimoto intercooler being one of the entry level aftermarket intercoolers is still massive in comparison to the stock intercooler.
IKR?! I think everything is massive compared to it because the stock is so puny and pathetic!
Sponsored

Elvis66

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT ..2014 Camaro ..72 Chevelle ..67 LeMans..97 4runner..2001 tundra
Just picked up a used mishimoto intercooler and charge pipes that were were 6 months old..looking forward to the benefits...mishimoto make quality stuff

sk8erord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Performance Pack
I know I am reviving the thread after a long time, but I would like to ask this: I have ordered the Mishimoto IC and as soon as I receive it and have it installed I will get an e-Tune from Adam (like you've done [MENTION=17110]sk8erord[/MENTION]). Considering that this IC is much better than the stock one, do you have an idea on what kind of power and torque gains I should expect? Apart from the IC and the MBRP Race catback exhausts I am not planning any other mods. Thanks
To be entirely honest, I don't believe the Mishi IC is good enough. My EBM was showing high IC temps on that - it's better than stock, but for not much more, there are better options. I don't have the car anymore, but based on my experience, and looking at things like ATM, Full-Race, and Levels, if I had to do it all over again, I'd get one of those or the ones Adam (@Tune+) sells on his site over the Mishi again. I'd say this and a catch-can are the two places NOT to skimp on these cars.

clubamericalara

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
the only reason i went with the mishi is i dont race the car i just wanted a decent intercooler and i paid $300 from a local seller at the time. great price in my opinion.

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
Hello Everyone,

Glad to see some feedback on our Mustang intercooler.

Just wanted to let everyone know that if you have questions, concerns, or any type of issue; we would be happy to help in getting it resolved.

You can contact us directly at [email protected] or by phone at 302.762.4501.

Thank you and have a great day,
Mishimoto

Sponsored

BoosTang23T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost
Just wanted to leave a some thoughts about the Mishimoto Intercooler.

Install wasn't that difficult, I'm hardly a seasoned mechanic and there wasn't a time at which I felt I was in over my head. It helped that I had taken the bumper cover off once before to do a GT grille swap so I was familiar with the process.

First time I took off the cover I did everything by hand, since then I had purchased an impact wrench - makes it about 100x easier to do things. Other than that, the install was very straightforward - you'll have to move the ac condenser upwards in order to be able to fit the Mishimoto IC on the hangers and it can be difficult to wiggle in there.

That's about the only quirks to the install. In short, buy an impact wrench.

As for the results, 1000% worth it. We were in a bit of a heatwave the past few weeks and I really felt I had to baby the car with the stock cooler. Granted it's only been on for two days and temps have only been in the low 80's, but it's remarkable the difference in charge air temps.

With the stocker after even light driving I'd see near 130-140F without much effort. Compounded with red lights, it would sit and soak at that temperature and only come down to about 115 - 120 once driving again. With the Mishi FMIC, at ambient of about 78F - CAT's would rarely exceed 88F when moving. Sure, it'll climb past 100 at a red light, but it recovers very quickly. The motor doesn't seem suffocated by the hot air, feels much more free.

I have plenty of datalogs from with the stock IC, will get some good post stock IC logs and post 'em here for those interested.

My advice, don't wait for this mod...simply a must.
This is my next mod for sure... I really like the Mishimoto intercooler since it is one of the best for price and performance from what I have read. Your comment helped me a lot and definitely going to go for it. I started with the exhaust system. I will be doing the intercooler upgrade within the next 6 months or so and then doing the tune after. Still undecided to do COBB, MAP or Ford Pro Cal 3.

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
This is my next mod for sure... I really like the Mishimoto intercooler since it is one of the best for price and performance from what I have read. Your comment helped me a lot and definitely going to go for it. I started with the exhaust system. I will be doing the intercooler upgrade within the next 6 months or so and then doing the tune after. Still undecided to do COBB, MAP or Ford Pro Cal 3.
I was between the Mishimoto and the cp-e DeltaCore intercooler. I finally decided to go with the cp-e (larger core, made in the US, great quality).

You can find some useful information regarding charge air temperature data that I posted at this thread:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49365&page=11

Combined with a tune (I went with Adam's Tune+), I think it's a great choice for significant performance improvement - night and day compared to stock tune and stock intercooler.

Elgyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost, MT, DIB, Premium, PP
This was literally the third thing I did to my car. First thing was to buy it from the dealer. Second was to drive it to the gas station for s fill up then third was to the shop for some upgrades.

BoosTang23T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was between the Mishimoto and the cp-e DeltaCore intercooler. I finally decided to go with the cp-e (larger core, made in the US, great quality).

You can find some useful information regarding charge air temperature data that I posted at this thread:

Combined with a tune (I went with Adam's Tune+), I think it's a great choice for significant performance improvement - night and day compared to stock tune and stock intercooler.
How much larger is the core compared to the Mishimoto one (same or bigger)? What final factors moved you decide for the CP-E instead? In the next 6 months I am going for the intercooler upgrade and want to be ready and not be in a dilemma lol. I saw your logs on the CP-E which look fantastic, but I have no comparison with the Mishimoto. I honestly never heard of CP-E, but I am also new to the Mustangs. When I moved into the Mustang, I researched a lot and Mishimoto stands out a lot everywhere and has a recognizable/reputable brand, but I could be wrong.

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
First of all I think that both intercoolers are a great upgrade from the stock one. I decided to go with the cp-e DeltaCore mainly for two reasons. First the cp-e is manufactured in the US and for me this is already a great advantage. The Mishimoto, although it seems to be of very good quality, is made in China. Second, core size: the core of the Mishimoto intercooler is 21.06" x 5.75" x 5.28" (639.38 cubic inches), whereas the core of the cp-e DeltaCore is 22 x 5 x 6.5″ (715 cubic inches). Info can be found at the following links:

Cp-e FMIC
http://cp-e.com/webstore2/product/ford-mustang-ecoboost-fmic-δcore-front-mount-intercooler/

Mishimoto FMIC
http://www.mishimoto.eu/ford-mustang-ecoboost-intercooler-2015.html#productdescription

Another reason is quality, the way you feel it when you hold the product in your hands. Man, it's great, when you hold it in your hands you know that this product is made to last forever! But I guess you can only realize that after you purchase the product :headbonk:

Again, don't misunderstand me, I am not saying that the Mishi is not good, I think that it would be a great upgrade to the stock one as well. Choices... this is our whole life, isn't it?

Sponsored

Garf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang

What kind of power were you making after the retune and the intercooler?

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
I never took my car to a dyno (before and after the mods), but after the intercooler and the e-Tune by Tune+ it's a beast! It's night and day compared even to the COBB OTS stage I map...

I think upgrading the intercooler is probably the most meaningful mod for the EcoBoost owner.

BoosTang23T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First of all I think that both intercoolers are a great upgrade from the stock one. I decided to go with the cp-e DeltaCore mainly for two reasons. First the cp-e is manufactured in the US and for me this is already a great advantage. The Mishimoto, although it seems to be of very good quality, is made in China. Second, core size: the core of the Mishimoto intercooler is 21.06" x 5.75" x 5.28" (639.38 cubic inches), whereas the core of the cp-e DeltaCore is 22 x 5 x 6.5″ (715 cubic inches). Info can be found at the following links:

Cp-e FMIC
http://cp-e.com/webstore2/product/ford-mustang-ecoboost-fmic-δcore-front-mount-intercooler/

Mishimoto FMIC
http://www.mishimoto.eu/ford-mustang-ecoboost-intercooler-2015.html#productdescription

Another reason is quality, the way you feel it when you hold the product in your hands. Man, it's great, when you hold it in your hands you know that this product is made to last forever! But I guess you can only realize that after you purchase the product :headbonk:

Again, don't misunderstand me, I am not saying that the Mishi is not good, I think that it would be a great upgrade to the stock one as well. Choices... this is our whole life, isn't it?
Will look into it... your two main points are super valid for me as well. I was not aware Mishimoto was made in China. You can only acquire this CP-E intercooler on their site? Not offered anywhere else (eBay, Amazon, etc.)?

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
I am sorry, I cant help you with that... I am located in Europe and I bought it from a dealer somewhere in Germany.

But I am sure that you would definitely find it on eBay and probably on Amazon too.

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT

Cp-e FMIC

Mishimoto FMIC

Will look into it... your two main points are super valid for me as well. I was not aware Mishimoto was made in China. You can only acquire this CP-E intercooler on their site? Not offered anywhere else (eBay, Amazon, etc.)?
Hey guys, figured I would jump in on this thread to clairfy the overall perception of our products.

A myriad of high-end products are manufactured in China; in fact, some of the companies known primarily for their build quality have their manufacturing operations in the China. A good example of this is the Apple iPhone. It is designed in California, manufactured in China. Our products are designed right here in New Castle, Delaware, and manufactured in China as well. Additionally, there are plenty of low-quality products made in the US, so in this globalized world, geography isn’t a very reliable indicator of quality.

The quality of a manufactured good, regardless of where in the world that occurs, is most heavily dependent on the engineering behind the product, the quality control, and the degree of oversight and involvement on behalf of the of the company.

We do all of our engineering right here in the US, and we have a devoted team of Mishimoto employees in China who oversee operations, develop relationships, and continue to push the boundaries of our high standards in manufacturing. We strongly confide in our manufacturing process, and we feel that the quality of our products speaks to that, which is why we back everything we sell with a lifetime warranty.

If it seems like I’m passionate about this, it’s because I see first-hand the dedication and sheer amount of work that my fellow co-workers put into these projects to ensure they are as great as they can be.

With respect to the intercooler sizing for the Mustang Ecoboost, we may have a smaller core than some out there in the market, but we provide hard-to-beat and well-documented performance at a very reasonable price. Let's not forget about the CARB certification! (EO #: D-759) Our core still has a 58% increase in core size, a 25% increase in internal core volume and a 165% increase in external fin surface area. More details can be found on our product page .

If you guys are still curious about the product, or the philosophy behind our engineering, please feel free to reach out and ask me any questions you may have! A full write-up of the long and arduous process of the engineering behind the product can be found on our Blog!

-Diamaan
Sponsored

Last edited: