Threads
Reaction score
Website
craigbrimanson.myportfolio.com
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Ecoboost
Is the video showing how a single catch can works and is this really all we need?
I'd have to rewatch it. But I believe he shows both.
Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
how many guys with the mishimoto catch can have thrown a P04DB Code?
I have the Mishi CC and never threw a code. Definitely should not be getting any codes from a proper CC install. My guess is one of the connections is loose or hose/valve backwards.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Is the video showing how a single catch can works and is this really all we need?
I think the single CC is all we need until maybe going with more boost. I've never seen anyone with stock turbo and boost levels catch anything in a clean side CC.

Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
Reading this article I think evidence is further supporting catch cans being only necessary for "race" applications. I have been skeptical since the beginning although the theory looks credible and most people seem to just be parroting the severity of having one because there is some truth to it and vendors pushing hard, it's not necessary for daily driving.

http://stratifiedauto.com/blog/understanding-your-pcv-system-upgrades-and-catch-cans/

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Reading this article I think evidence is further supporting catch cans being only necessary for "race" applications. I have been skeptical since the beginning although the theory looks credible and most people seem to just be parroting the severity of having one because there is some truth to it and vendors pushing hard, it's not necessary for daily driving.

http://stratifiedauto.com/blog/understanding-your-pcv-system-upgrades-and-catch-cans/
They can write whatever they want. The reason I'm 100% convinced is because of the crap I empty out of it every 2,500 miles. Nobody should need to convince anyone they need or should have a CC. If you don't want one or don't feel it's needed, don't get one. Simple as that...

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
I DD my EB and drain 2-3 ounces a week from it. I average 22.8 MPG on a short 5 mile trip to work and back everyday.

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
They can write whatever they want. The reason I'm 100% convinced is because of the crap I empty out of it every 2,500 miles. Nobody should need to convince anyone they need or should have a CC. If you don't want one or don't feel it's needed, don't get one. Simple as that...
Exactly forums are about information, people should educate themselves before just making blind decisions, hence the OP questions of this thread. You watching "caught" oil is not concrete measurable proof of benefits. It's obviously a complex matter, but in short people should have better information to make decisions for themselves than just parroted answers.

Sponsored

kert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Premium
The pictures of nasty stuff caught in the can isn't the real story. The real concern is when that stuff hits the back of the intake valve which can be quite hot, it chars and gets caked on and can eventually cause turbulence or restriction around the intake valves.

I bought a 2015 Ecoboost engine a few months ago and tore it down before taking it to the machine shop. Wish I had taken pictures of those intake valves. They were pretty nasty. My 2017 Ecoboost Mustang will be getting a catch can as soon as I can find the time to install it.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Exactly forums are about information, people should educate themselves before just making blind decisions, hence the OP questions of this thread. You watching "caught" oil is not concrete measurable proof of benefits. It's obviously a complex matter, but in short people should have better information to make decisions for themselves than just parroted answers.
I agree with you about the forums educating people and them making an educated decision. In the end, nobody from a forum will be opening their wallet to help you buy a part or to fix your car if something happens to it.

I just disagree with that article and don't understand the resistance to getting a CC unless someone is just trying to not spend the money or is worried about warranty issues. If that's the case, simply don't get one, you don't need help. Now to address some points in the article but before I do, I'm not a mechanic and Stratified is WAY more qualified than I am! That doesn't make me unqualified to retort with common sense though and they really missed the mark.

First, they make the general statement that is broken down in A, B, C, D below which I'll reply to inline. "Also keep in mind that any obstruction you add to the PCV system (ie extra catch cans) can impede flow and therefore can cause issues such as higher oil consumption, leaking, and smoking turbos."

A. They do not stop carbon buildup on the back of valves in DI (direct injected cars). We have seen this time and time again and this is because some oil film still makes its way past the catch cans just like it does past the OEM catch cans. Further, flow reversion during engine operation still brings in oil over the valves. The most effective methods at preventing carbon buildup are: 1. Using high quality oils (some are being designed for DI operation specifically), 2. changing the oil often, 3. driving the cars hard to maintain high valve temperatures (yes having fun!) 4. and if possible running secondary injection across the intake valves which washes them clean and which more and more OEMs are starting to use.

This is an extremely weak statement and should be easy for anyone applying just a little common sense to get past. Nobody is saying the CC will stop carbon build up on the back of valves. It certainly does reduce it, just look at the oil mixture kept in you CC that didn't make it far enough to get baked on there. By the way, I agree with every one of the things they say about other way to keep the valves clean with W/MI being the absolute best. If you're worried about your warranty though, go in with meth injection and let me know how that works out for you.​

B. They can cause PCV flow issues and should be monitored. If they overflow or freeze during the winter (which they do; remember the content of these is mostly water) they can block the system altogether. Similar issue if the fittings leak.

Seriously? If someone is dumb enough to install a CC and not check and empty it, they shouldn't be playing with their car. They should leave it all factory stock and let the dealer take care of it. Freezing in winter? Know your environment. I can tell you living as far north as MA, I've never had a problem with a CC freezing up. Leaking hoses? LOL, not even touching that one...​

C. The most common location people install them is on the manifold to crankcase connection. This connection is not flowing any gases while the car is under boost. Remember there are 2 PCV systems.

This is referred to as the dirty side, only operational under vacuum and exactly the part that is the biggest problem. Single catch can systems like the Mishimoto and JLT are good examples of these. The clean side CC is operational under boost. An example of this is the UPR DV CC.
Have you ever seen anyone report having anything to empty from their clean side CC? I watched the forums for a while reading reports before I made my decision. I never heard of anyone getting anything in there.
I could see them being useful if your running significantly more boost than factory though. If your doing that, you already understand the benefits of the CC though. This whole comment for "C" was just meaningless.​

D. They will not solve mechanical issues such as smoking turbos, excessive oil consumption, etc.; they can exacerbate these issues. Make sure you fully investigate the root causes of such issues.

Obviously.... It's not going to stop your turbo from smoking but can reduce it. The CC is another oil separator like the factory one with the separator and PCV. Look at the TSB Ford came out with to improve the factory oil separator to eliminate smoking after long periods of idle (vacuum). All you are doing is adding an additional method of catching oil and vapors, increasing efficiency. Granted this is with a properly operating CC. Most of the negative statements talk about a CC that is blocked, full or leaking. The CC is an EXTREMELY simple device. Keeping it operational is basic... Their statement about CCs exacerbating the issues all go back to a CC that is NOT operating properly.​

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro

That is very informative and detailed information. The biggest problem with installation of catch cans IMO is the back yard engineering doesn't always go as planned and one can introduce a problem where one doesn't exist. Also, for the 10 thousanth time, showing that something is accumulating in the catch can isn't proof that the system isn't functioning correctly. I have not seen a single.documented case where carbon buildup is a problem on our engines.

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
I wish we can ask a ford engineer in why there was no catch can placed in the eco.

I am in agreement with Maggnetto that it could create issues that did not exist originally. I have to respect this place for enthusiasts and mod crazies, but you guys are suggesting that the Mustangs PCV system is defective and does not work sounds ludicrous. Have you ever once stopped to think about how these vendors are selling you shit for nothing in return?

You are putting a can that sits lower than the hose....you guys failed or slept during high school science because that is how any vapor pools into a liquid. These cars are designed for it. If you are pushing that much pressure into your cylinder to force that much added blow-by, odds are, you're going to have a catastrophic failure of the engine before any issues with compositing arises.

Last edited:

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
What kind of tune are you running to increase that much blow-by?
It's not blow-by, that happens on the clean side and during boost. I have a dirty side CC and I got the same amount collected in it with the factory tune or the Ford Performance tune I'm running now.
Sponsored