A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
So what is it that happens when the evap core goes? Does it leak refrigerant or coolant, and will it leak on the floor of the car? Is the heater core inside this evap box too? Does your system make funny noises or just quit blowing A/C? I'm just wondering what to look out for. If this thing is made of plastic that is not holding up it sounds like this was part of how Ford tried to save weight in the design of the S550, by making some parts like this out of cheaper lighter material.
Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Warranty work completed in 1 business day:
P1450 Purge Valve Failure Code
Remedy: Dealer tested then replaced Canister Purge Valve.

A/C Fails to Cool
Remedy: Dealer found Low-Side Valve Core Loose.
Re-tourqed Valve Core to spec, recharged refrigerant, tested.

Hmm, I wonder if it's actually my evaporator[?]

I picked up a can of R134, I already had a gauge/hose, once I found the low pressure line and valve, I saw all around the valve was a white film (that I understand is the oil in the freon).

Oddly enough, I couldn't get the AC to take any freon. Installed the fresh can, the hose connected with a solid click on the valve, I had the AC running - the gauge showed it was way low, well into the red, but when I pulled the trigger to fill, the gauge never moved. Tried several times.

I'd assume the hose was making positive connection (which is why it was showing the low pressure), it's a fresh can, the gauge setup was used in the last several months - is there some related issue that would cause an AC system to not take a freon charge?

When the evap went out on our 4Runner (see previous post), it would at least let me refill the freon/R134, over the course of a month or so it got to where I refill would only last a few days, but I was thinking the GT would work the same way, if it was also an evap core[?]

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
maybe because of a leak in the evaporator core?

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
It's leaking as fast as it's charging? Maybe, but it seems like it's not even using any of the freon, like if it was leaking it would suck the can dry (and the can normally gets super cold but that's not happening).

It's almost like the valve isn't working. Maybe my hose/filler setup is bad, but it does register pressure coming out of the low pressure line.

Wvmike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP
You didn't puncture the seal.

Sponsored

7thStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Ecoboot Premium
Like I mentioned in my post, the service writer who is a good friend of mine for years, said he does at least 3 evaporators per week. Mine has been great since the job. No issues at all. Good luck.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
You didn't puncture the seal.
Yeah thought of that, I actually heard it puncture/hiss when I first installed the hose - then to confirm I back off a turn or so on the can, and got plenty of freon escaping.

Thanks though :cheers:

I suppose it could still be something between the can itself and the car-side connector, I mean, I used this setup several times when the T4R had a bad evap, it did work, it's been in a tool chest, but sometimes shit just breaks sitting around ...

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Hmm, I wonder if it's actually my evaporator[?]

I picked up a can of R134, I already had a gauge/hose, once I found the low pressure line and valve, I saw all around the valve was a white film (that I understand is the oil in the freon).

Oddly enough, I couldn't get the AC to take any freon. Installed the fresh can, the hose connected with a solid click on the valve, I had the AC running - the gauge showed it was way low, well into the red, but when I pulled the trigger to fill, the gauge never moved. Tried several times.

I'd assume the hose was making positive connection (which is why it was showing the low pressure), it's a fresh can, the gauge setup was used in the last several months - is there some related issue that would cause an AC system to not take a freon charge?

When the evap went out on our 4Runner (see previous post), it would at least let me refill the freon/R134, over the course of a month or so it got to where I refill would only last a few days, but I was thinking the GT would work the same way, if it was also an evap core[?]
I would NOT reveal to your Service Center that you even touched the A/C system, even if you knew what you were doing from a "attempted fix" aspect. All they need is one small excuse to deny your warranty claim on such a labor intensive repair....

If the car is under warranty - drop it off and let the Service Center fiddle with it and figure out the issue.

---

I'd like to know exactly what is the difference between the original EVAP cores that are defective and the replacement version being installed. Meaning, is there a manufacturing revision to the EVAP core that will prevent premature failures? Or is the replacement core just as prone to a failure at an unknown mileage accrual???

Was the original cores mishandled during production install causing the potential for failure?

It would really suck for someone to go through a EVAP core replacement and then having to do it all over again.

danny0441

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt DIB
maybe we can get one of these ford service advisers we have on the site to chime in on this maybe ford should offer an extended warranty on the parts that are clearly defective

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
Lol that won't happen

Sponsored

SubZombie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP 401A
My A/C went out about 2000 miles ago (28k now). I took it to the dealer and it was out of coolant or whatever, they recharged it and looked for leaks with a black light for two days and couldn't find anything, supposed to take it back in for them to check again. There is a strange smell from the A/C again that started happening at about 23k miles. Ugh.

7thStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Ecoboot Premium
maybe we can get one of these ford service advisers we have on the site to chime in on this maybe ford should offer an extended warranty on the parts that are clearly defective
I also spoke the service manager, he said that Ford got rid of the vendor that made all the defective evaporators, and that I won't have the problem again. Hopefully he didn't feed me a line of crap.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
My A/C went out about 2000 miles ago (28k now). I took it to the dealer and it was out of coolant or whatever, they recharged it and looked for leaks with a black light for two days and couldn't find anything, supposed to take it back in for them to check again. There is a strange smell from the A/C again that started happening at about 23k miles. Ugh.
I doubt they can check for leaks on the evaporator itself since it's buried back behind the dashboard and not seen until the whole dash is removed from the car.

AQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
hi ! i have a 2016 mustang GT with what i think is a evaporator leak so i have some questions

is it OK to stop the leak by using this product http://a.co/ck2JREx ?

and if it work and stop the leak ,is the warranty still OK for AC and the car ?

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
Yea Ford will definitely not void your warranty.
Sponsored