Sponsored

Extended warranty?

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
What options does Ford offer for extended warranties? Is there room to negotiate on the price or is it set in stone?

I couldn't find it on Ford's site but any links to their packages/terms would be appreciated.

I'm thinking if I buy new, I'd like to have a warranty in place until I'm finished paying it off. So if I'm going to take longer than 3yrs (shooting to have it owned in under 3yrs)...I want to see how much extra that'd add to the cost.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Sponsored

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Omega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP 401A, Roush 727
I don't think they have any room to work with warranty costs.

On my last 3 Fords I added ESP to the car load for 5 years and 70k miles. This includes rental car, oil changes, brakes, filters, all kinds of things.

You can extend your warranty at any time so long as as there is a warranty still active

cdq85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Boostey Pants
everything in life is negotiable in sales. i can assure you there is room in cost of warranty as that is how the F&I manager is paid. whatever price they quote you will likely have 1000-1200 dollars worth of markup in it. could be more, could be less. if they are straight telling you there is no room, they are lying.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
everything in life is negotiable in sales. i can assure you there is room in cost of warranty as that is how the F&I manager is paid. whatever price they quote you will likely have 1000-1200 dollars worth of markup in it. could be more, could be less. if they are straight telling you there is no room, they are lying.
How do you call their bluff other than walking away (which I highly doubt would ruffle any feathers at the dealer I'm looking at buying from)?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Sponsored

cdq85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Boostey Pants
How do you call their bluff other than walking away (which I highly doubt would ruffle any feathers at the dealer I'm looking at buying from)?

Thanks

-Emt1581
i'd politely say you want some help on the warranty as you know there is some mark up in it. state you still want them to make some money so if you take 500 bucks off, you'll take it. if not, state you will not be taking it. you do not have to take a warranty at point of sale. you can even call around to dealerships and talk to their finance teams and see who would give you the best price on a warranty. keep in mind though, if you do not take the warranty at time of sale and you are financing, you will have to pay cash for it later on. just some food for thought.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i'd politely say you want some help on the warranty as you know there is some mark up in it. state you still want them to make some money so if you take 500 bucks off, you'll take it. if not, state you will not be taking it. you do not have to take a warranty at point of sale. you can even call around to dealerships and talk to their finance teams and see who would give you the best price on a warranty. keep in mind though, if you do not take the warranty at time of sale and you are financing, you will have to pay cash for it later on. just some food for thought.
Definitely something to think about. I appreciate you sharing.

I guess something else I could do is wait until a month or two prior to the 3yr/36k expiration and see what kind of problems I've had with the car. If it's been a basketcase, that somehow didn't qualify for a lemon-law replacement, I'd probably start shopping around. But if not, might just roll the dice.

EDIT: I asked for tips on negotiating it because, in my experience and with my luck they'd give me the line about Ford setting the price without any wiggle room and then I'd have to find Ford stating it somewhere that is WAS negotiable. Something along those lines.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Mustang1260

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Limited Edition, WW, Manual
Huge Mark up. HUGE.
Huge room to negotiate. The Finance Manager WILL lie to you-just accept that fact and don't let it bug you..
Do not let the Ford ESP warranty sale kill a deal- if you do not like the warranty price just say no, politely but firmly.
Ford does NOT set prices.
Do NOT buy a 3rd party warranty--many fiance guys will quote high on the Ford ESP warranty and when you go "too expensive" they say...well...I can give you a great price on a warranty from the Billy Bob Mechanics Society it is almost as good as Fords (IT ain't).

Ford's ESP warranty comes in many flavors of coverage as well as miles and time. Note that it runs concurrent with your Ford warranty. Thus a 4 yr 48k mile extended warranty is actually only buying you 1 yr and 12k miles of coverage. Note the car comes with a 5 yr 60k powertrain warranty so that 4 yr/48k doesn't extend anything. You can buy it later-just before your factory warranty expires but the price is substantially more. You know your past history and family budget--how long do you realistically plan on keeping the car?

Start your search now--go to the Ford ESP site and look at the levels of coverage (if your going this route I'd go top dog- PremiumCare). Then look at the deductible PER CLAIM not over the life of the warranty (you can go $0-$50-$100 if I recall correctly). Obviously the price is cheaper with a higher deductible aka co-pay. It all depends upon your income etc...does an unexpected $100 payment (deductible) impact your monthly budget.

http://fordprotect.ford.com/

http://fordprotect.ford.com/premiumcare

Then you decide on length-how long will you keep the car and over that time period what do you estimate you will drive in terms of miles. Then go price shopping on the internet.

There are several Ford stores that make a business of selling Ford ESP warranties cheap (google will get you to these stores real quick). Several will simply have a chart on their website listing their pricing.

Issues- 1) if you buy from another dealer you cannot fiance it (but if you fiance it you gotta figure those interest charges into the total cost of that warranty as to its potential value)

2) Your selling (car) dealer may NOT match that price. They do not have to. The price you get from a dealership that specializes in selling ESP maybe be very close to actual cost and thus your local Finance Manger sees almost no profit and doesn't want you spreading the word of how cheap you got it so they would rather just decline the sale. So be it.

You can take the middle road (although some here will freak out over the idea) and get the low internet price from the out of town dealer. Show it to your local guys-if they balk as too low maybe go up a little. Yeah your throwing money away in theory but if can help with an easier sale, easier financing, and not having to deal with an out of town dealer by phone/email it may have value to you to pay a little extra.

The dealership has been sold and the deal now lessened but in the Corvette world there was a Chevy dealer in Montana whose owner was a Corvette nut. His 'gift' to the Corvette community was GM extended warranties at or near cost. He may have made $25 -50 to cover staff time on the paperwork. This guy drove other dealers nuts as those active in the Corvette community know of it and never even tried to get local dealers to match. The idea has taken hold and now some Ford dealers are following a similar discount path nationwide.

Now--I believe it is only Florida but some states have laws on the books banning such out of State sales of warranties (under the theory that the selling dealer is not a licensed automobile dealership in that State). The laws got on the books after a push by local dealers losing business to the out of state dealers...nice little local price fixing.

Any out of state dealer quoting you a price will advise if they can sell to you. Pretty sure your state is not following the Florida example but that is easy to find out.

Long story short-- you should know (and must) the exact Ford ESP warranty you want in terms of coverage level, deductible, time length, and mileage (and if you even want one) and the price your willing to pay before you even step onto the lot.

Sample:

http://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/

https://www.floodfordesp.com/?gclid=COuh04jGrNICFVCBfgodFcUKqw

Last edited:
OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Huge Mark up. HUGE.
Huge room to negotiate. The Finance Manager WILL lie to you-just accept that fact and don't let it bug you..
Do not let the Ford ESP warranty sale kill a deal- if you do not like the warranty price just say no, politely but firmly.
Ford does NOT set prices.
Do NOT buy a 3rd party warranty--many fiance guys will quote high on the Ford ESP warranty and when you go "too expensive" they say...well...I can give you a great price on a warranty from the Billy Bob Mechanics Society it is almost as good as Fords (IT ain't).

Ford's ESP warranty comes in many flavors of coverage as well as miles and time. Note that it runs concurrent with your Ford warranty. Thus a 4 yr 48k mile extended warranty is actually only buying you 1 yr and 12k miles of coverage. Note the car comes with a 5 yr 60k powertrain warranty so that 4 yr/48k doesn't extend anything. You can buy it later-just before your factory warranty expires but the price is substantially more. You know your past history and family budget--how long do you realistically plan on keeping the car?

Start your search now--go to the Ford ESP site and look at the levels of coverage (if your going this route I'd go top dog- PremiumCare). Then look at the deductible PER CLAIM not over the life of the warranty (you can go $0-$50-$100 if I recall correctly). Obviously the price is cheaper with a higher deductible aka co-pay. It all depends upon your income etc...does an unexpected $100 payment (deductible) impact your monthly budget.

http://fordprotect.ford.com/

http://fordprotect.ford.com/premiumcare

Then you decide on length-how long will you keep the car and over that time period what do you estimate you will drive in terms of miles. Then go price shopping on the internet.

There are several Ford stores that make a business of selling Ford ESP warranties cheap (google will get you to these stores real quick). Several will simply have a chart on their website listing their pricing.

Issues- 1) if you buy from another dealer you cannot fiance it (but if you fiance it you gotta figure those interest charges into the total cost of that warranty as to its potential value)

2) Your selling (car) dealer may NOT match that price. They do not have to. The price you get from a dealership that specializes in selling ESP maybe be very close to actual cost and thus your local Finance Manger sees almost no profit and doesn't want you spreading the word of how cheap you got it so they would rather just decline the sale. So be it.

You can take the middle road (although some here will freak out over the idea) and get the low internet price from the out of town dealer. Show it to your local guys-if they balk as too low maybe go up a little. Yeah your throwing money away in theory but if can help with an easier sale, easier financing, and not having to deal with an out of town dealer by phone/email it may have value to you to pay a little extra.

The dealership has been sold and the deal now lessened but in the Corvette world there was a Chevy dealer in Montana whose owner was a Corvette nut. His 'gift' to the Corvette community was GM extended warranties at or near cost. He may have made $25 -50 to cover staff time on the paperwork. This guy drove other dealers nuts as those active in the Corvette community know of it and never even tried to get local dealers to match. The idea has taken hold and now some Ford dealers are following a similar discount path nationwide.

Now--I believe it is only Florida but some states have laws on the books banning such out of State sales of warranties (under the theory that the selling dealer is not a licensed automobile dealership in that State). The laws got on the books after a push by local dealers losing business to the out of state dealers...nice little local price fixing.

Any out of state dealer quoting you a price will advise if they can sell to you. Pretty sure your state is not following the Florida example but that is easy to find out.

Long story short-- you should know (and must) the exact Ford ESP warranty you want in terms of coverage level, deductible, time length, and mileage (and if you even want one) and the price your willing to pay before you even step onto the lot.

Sample:

http://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/

https://www.floodfordesp.com/?gclid=COuh04jGrNICFVCBfgodFcUKqw
Wow!! Excellent info, thanks for sharing!!

Those places you linked to. I didn't see different levels of coverage other than different deductibles, years/mileage. And for 5 years/60k it was well under $1000.... which I'd think is WELL worth the money!!

...or was there something to be aware of buying from the places you linked to?

Thanks

-Emt1581

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
I got the Extended warranty and I got the car for 8k off sticker with 1000 negative on my trade so I would say you can get it negotiated.

Sponsored

Mustang1260

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Limited Edition, WW, Manual
Wow!! Excellent info, thanks for sharing!!

Those places you linked to. I didn't see different levels of coverage other than different deductibles, years/mileage. And for 5 years/60k it was well under $1000.... which I'd think is WELL worth the money!!

...or was there something to be aware of buying from the places you linked to?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Go to the Ford website-Ford Protect: http://fordprotect.ford.com/

You will find a link to all their flavors: PremiumCare, ExtraCare, BasicCare and PowertrianCare.

The dealer links above are just a couple of known examples--lots of other dealers selling. I would assume that 99% of ESP buyers go with the most comprehensive plan: PremiumCare thus the dealers just post those prices on line. I'm sure they would quote you prices on the lesser plans if that is what you wanted.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Go to the Ford website-Ford Protect: http://fordprotect.ford.com/

You will find a link to all their flavors: PremiumCare, ExtraCare, BasicCare and PowertrianCare.

The dealer links above are just a couple of known examples--lots of other dealers selling. I would assume that 99% of ESP buyers go with the most comprehensive plan: PremiumCare thus the dealers just post those prices on line. I'm sure they would quote you prices on the lesser plans if that is what you wanted.

Got it. Thanks again.

I think I'll ask about the ESP and what the best they can do is. However, I really would prefer to sit on it for a year or two and buy it later. If I know the clutch/trans/motor/etc. is a basketcase that's on it's last leg, I can pull the trigger and be thousands ahead. If not, and the car has been flawless, I'd probably save the money.

Thanks

-Emt1581

jeffdeq

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible White Platinum
https://www.floodfordesp.com/buy_now.php?gclid=CJHO2amar9ICFZq1wAodf-YOmw
I went to Flood Ford ESP online last week. I purchased an 8 year/60,000 mile Premium Care, $0 deductible policy for my newly purchased 2017 Mustang GT Premium Convertible. The pricing was so good I also purchased an identical ESP policy for my 2015 F350 Lariat 4x4 DRW. I suggest you go to the link above and price the policy you can afford. They are very affordable.

Omega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP 401A, Roush 727
I stand corrected!

Those of you who said dealers can negotiate were right!. I got a amazing price on a 6 year.

I won't say the price because I was asked not to. Partially because it was to help with an issue with ordering.

Last edited:

Dsquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP LB
Curious as to how those extended warranties work if you add the Ford Power Packs? I know those shorten the standard warranty. Do these EW's negate the ability for adding tunes etc., or void them?
Sponsored