Sponsored

[Help] - choosing suspension upgrades for base 2015 GT.

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
Wanting to get a list ready for black friday.

Budget: $1000-$1500

Wants: best bang for buck suspension upgrades without sacrificing ride quality too much. Especially due to the fact that I don't have the best roads here and I feel the difference going from 45s to 35s when I upgraded to 20s. So don't want to lower it. I have a NON PP car.

Specifics: More planted around corners, feeling more confidence around corners, and if it's possible, even just FEELING faster in a straight line? Do suspension parts help with that? But mostly just handling.

Usage: DD, haven't tracked it yet. If i do it's something I'd do like once a year. Nearest track is a long drive away.

One problem is I feel like my car will lose control in a corner, and I remember watching a video where some professional driver was saying, it handles better than it feels. So while I'm sure it could handle better if I was a better driver and trusted it more, would also like to feel it more.

Ideally something that isn't too hard to install (either doing it myself or most likely a shop). But don't want install to be too expensive either.

edit: couple builds I've been offered.

1) In an extremely tight budget, you can get the PP dampers (300+), BMR SP082/089 for minimal drop/rake (or SP081/082 for more drop/rake, 200+), CB005 (199), and Ford Racing strut/cowl brace (150+)...got a setup for about 850 USD. You'll get a setup better than PP and eeeasy to install, this was recommended by @BmacIL ...credit goes to him.

Personally, I would add the J&M jacking rails just for safety, vert links, and CB006/007 and be done with it. Basically it's what I did, but with stiffer spring/dampers.

2) For a street car with no future on a road course (at least seriously), I'd go with the Ford Performance Track Package as-is (toe arms are the same so skip installing those) or, more preferably, I would put together a Steeda package with their non-adjustable shocks, sport linear (if you prefer firmer) or progressive (if you prefer softer) springs, and at least upgrade the rear sway bar (someone makes a solid bar out there with which you can still use the OEM bushings - a great dollar-for-dollar value but aftermarket bars aren't that expensive - I like the Steeda bars). I'd leave the IRS well-enough alone unless you feel it still feels disconnected. BMR Performance springs are excellent matches for PP shocks if you want to avoid damper replacement (as are Steeda Progressives, but I'm not a progressive spring fan, personally). I know buttoning up the IRS makes a big difference but it also can let additional/new noises through the suspension, depending on what you do (despite everyone saying "no new NVH" so that's why I personally suggest leaving it alone). My suspension (see signature) is wonderful and I can "turn it down" to be comfortable and plush or turn it up and make the thing a stiff for AutoX/road course. But that requires going under the car and heave-hoing bolts and twisting adjusters when the time comes. Something most folks have no interest in doing - or don't understand what to do, when (not that I'm an expert on it, but you have to be the "tinkering type" to tolerate the effort).
Sponsored

Last edited:

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
It looks like you already received great advice. I’ll second the notion to add a strut tower brace to your non-PP car; I would do this first and in all modification option plans.

OP
OP
clevernickname

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
Surprised the frpp track pack doesn't come with it :(

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'd definitely go with what I suggested before (#1). PM [MENTION=19644]Lexman[/MENTION] for his thoughts on that, as it's what he's running now and had basically the same requirements (better handling, better looks but minimal drop, minimal ride impact...coming from a non PP car too).

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
#1 is solid and cheap. :thumbsup: I would add Steeda rear shock mounts to that list.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Xavier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
[MENTION=26897]Impulse[/MENTION]

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
This is good advice; I'd been leaning toward the M-FR3A-MA/Street Handling package. This will probably be my first change at or in tandem with a the FP PP2.

OP
OP
clevernickname

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
The Steeda mounts are a great choice - designed, engineered & manufactured in Valdosta, GA.

Plenty of options from Steeda - we have the largest portfolio of manufactured parts for the S550.

Plenty of great options out there ... love to get you into a Steeda suspension & the rear shock mounts!

Here is our Q500 showcasing some of the parts & sitting on the Steeda Suspension:

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]ZrjgxsMg-ts[/MEDIA]"]

TJ

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-mustang-billet-rear-shock-mount-10mm-rear-shocks-555-8151.html

These ones? Does BMR not have them? So many good things about BMR i might as wel get everything I can from them. Do they have a strut brace as well?
Yes those ones.

From a value perspective, the Ford Racing strut tower and k brace kit is hard to beat. I like the Steeda and Mishimoto strut tower bars very much, for the record. They look better, and have clearance for the dipstick. They don't include the K brace that ties the cowl to the strut towers, though.

OP
OP
clevernickname

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok thanks all. Here's the compiled list so far.

Must Buys

• CB005
  • Ford Racing Strut/Cowl Brace
  • SP082/089 or SP080
  • Steeda Rear Shock Mounts
Should I Buy?

• Vert Links
  • CB006/007
  • Sway Bars
Questions

• PP dampers on the must buy list I believe. Anyone have a link to those? Couldn't find just the dampers?
  • Is SP080 the same as 082/089 just combined?
  • Which vert links?
  • Which sway bars?
  • How much is car lowered by with the 82/89?
  • This affects powertrain warranty right?
And out of all of these which do you guys think are the least important. I'm at around $1500.

Last edited:

Xavier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
The SP080 are the regular performance springs, with SP082 being the rears. SP089 are the minimum drop front springs (also "performance").

CGADAMS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP 1992 SSP LX 5.0 W/ 331 stroker
BMR and don't look back. Seriously, just did handling springs, CB005, K-member brace (already have strut tower due to PP), and low profile jacking rails. holy cow night and day difference. putting on vert links, camber links, toe links next week. Honestly cant wait to also get the sway bars and caster camber plates as well to get it really more dialed in!
Sponsored