Squeak from Trunk Lining/Sub

RazorRamon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevrolet SS
Sorry in advance if this isn't all that technical.

I have the 201A package with the shaker sub. Lately I've been hearing this squeaking and finally got to the bottom of it. The sub(even at low volumes) and movement in general makes the liner(the hard textured fabric connected by a magnet) squeak. At first I thought it was the glass or it was the active noise control thing but low and behold it's the liner. Has anyone else encountered this problem and successfully solved the issue? Recommendations?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

nrothaar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Race Red

I have the 201A package with the shaker sub. Lately I've been hearing this squeaking and finally got to the bottom of it. The sub(even at low volumes) and movement in general makes the liner(the hard textured fabric connected by a magnet) squeak. At first I thought it was the glass or it was the active noise control thing but low and behold it's the liner. Has anyone else encountered this problem and successfully solved the issue? Recommendations?

Thanks!
Hey man check out my post I just put up haha http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39343

Same issue here.. not sure how to fix this.. any help??

Also, I just put in a LLoyd trunk mat so maybe that made it more noticeable.

nrothaar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Thanks!
Any luck man? Also, where is this magnet that connects the liner? This is really starting to piss me off lol

OP
OP
RazorRamon

RazorRamon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevrolet SS
Any luck man? Also, where is this magnet that connects the liner? This is really starting to piss me off lol
I haven't tried any remedies yet. I've been so busy that I haven't really gotten around to it. If you pull the lining away from the car you will notice there is a magnet keeping it in place. Reach up on the right side of your trunk, left side of sub to find it. That's where the noise is coming from. If you push it around it will squeak like no other! I'm hoping to try and put some kind of material in there to damper it this weekend.

nrothaar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info. Let me know how it goes! I'm definitely going to try to do something about it this weekend as well

Sponsored

nrothaar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's definitely where the noise is coming from. Did you happen to find a solution for this? I might try to dynomat it to see if that helps since I have some extra dynomat

nrothaar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I finally figured this out. Turns out that the fabric the liner is made out of causes a squeaking noise whenever it rubs against the metal of the car. Doesn't have anything to do with the magnet (at least my issue didn't). Took me about an hour to figure this out.

I'm assuming they had issues with this due to Ford adding the magnet. If you push or move the liner around you will hear the squeaking and once the sub is installed it makes the liner much tighter.

In order to fix this, you have to make sure the liner is lined up PERFECTLY or else it will rub against the metal of the car. I found an area right behind the passenger side back seat where the fabric had two notches in it which rubbed against the metal when any sound or movement came from the back-right of the car (mostly when music came from the sub). I was able to get my finger in there and pop the dents out of the fabric and everything is back to normal.

I'm assuming this happened when I took the sub out the very first time when I installed my sequential tail lights. So in order to fix this just make sure the fabric is perfectly lined up and make sure there aren't any indentations in it causing the liner to rub against the metal or brackets on the car.

Hope you get this fixed as well!

OP
OP
RazorRamon

RazorRamon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevrolet SS
I'm going to give this a try as I've set on a journey to fix stuff like this rather than take it to the dealer and not have a car. My previous attempts to fix his didn't work, hopefully this will. Thanks for giving the details man. I'll keep you updated as I try this fix.

nrothaar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm going to give this a try as I've set on a journey to fix stuff like this rather than take it to the dealer and not have a car. My previous attempts to fix his didn't work, hopefully this will. Thanks for giving the details man. I'll keep you updated as I try this fix.
No problem man hope you get this fixed. Just wanted to add that the squeak came back a bit and is definitely worse in the cold. Ended up stuffing a towel behind the lining and is perfect now
Sponsored