Sponsored

2016 Shelby GT350/GT350R Media Drives & Reviews (CHECK FIRST POST)

MisterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'13 Taurus SHO & '16 GT350R
According the the SVTP article the Base and Tech Pack can go hard for about 15 minutes on a small track (Grattan) before cool down. It has sensors on the trans and rear diff to alert the driver when it's too hot. In this case you could get about 11 laps completed on Grattan before you had to cool down. It would be nice to know how much extra time the coolers provide.
I recall reading that the R was required to run near top performance on a track for 24 hours straight only stopping for fuel/tire/driver changes. If something broke, they went back to the drawing board.
Sponsored

1LEThumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
For those of you there at Laguna, was there a major change in sound between the R and the base GT350 exhaust notes? Heard they added resonators on the non R cars, just wondering if they did and how much it impacts the sound.

Cruzinaround

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2011 GT Premium, 2012 BMW M3, Etc Etc
They mean faster on the track. The tires are on the R are significantly better than the PSS on the base model car. PSS tires are good for street cars but will not hold their own against a basic auto-X tire much less a more track-oriented compound like the Sport Cups.
I get it....but to me it just means after a good session on the track...you now have really expensive wheels with really bald expensive tires.

The great fun is short lived when the expense of the replacement rubber hits. Which for some might be a few times a year if they are serious.

Unless you have something to prove or some serious money to win....The fun experience is still there with a wheel and tire swap to a second set that you don't mind the wear and tear on and will be less cost prohibitive when it does come time for a replacement tire or .... even a wheel.

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
[ame]

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
For those of you there at Laguna, was there a major change in sound between the R and the base GT350 exhaust notes? Heard they added resonators on the non R cars, just wondering if they did and how much it impacts the sound.
One of the recent reviews said they are good for 5db. Will chop them out ASAP.

Sponsored

mephim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track (gone), 2019 GT350 (gone)
I love how long you are able to stay in gear during sweepers in this car. Also, has anyone commented on whether the rev-limit is a hard limit (cuts spark)?

1LEThumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
One of the recent reviews said they are good for 5db. Will chop them out ASAP.

I was thinking the same thing.....just hard to tell from the video's if they had a clip of an R and a non R coming down the front straight.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I love how long you are able to stay in gear during sweepers in this car. Also, has anyone commented on whether the rev-limit is a hard limit (cuts spark)?
With TiVCT, they traditionally have a soft and hard limiter. I think many cars today use both...

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
lol, easy there racecar driver. The traction control is on so overzealous randos don't put their $60k preproduction car in the dirt, or worse the wall. The guy sounds exactly like me when I've coached there: "brake brake brake". Everybody wants to be Andretti their first time out there. That said, with only 3 minutes and 2 laps, I'd want to stretch its legs a bit also.

I hope that non-R non-Track pack cars get the center mark on the steering wheel, but I don't think that's the case.

Also looks like overrev'ing isn't a problem. I wonder if the info in the owner's supplement has been outdated.

1LEThumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Here's a great in-car video from someone who knows their way around MRLS:

The first full lap is spoiled by early braking (or not knowing how strong the braking is on the R) going into turn 2. The second lap runs from 4:23 to 6:08 in the video, for a 1'45" lap. That's some great stuff coming from a motoring magazine editor in a car with which there's been very little track time.

A pro driver with several recce laps and on fresh tires should be able to find 10 seconds at least. :ford:

I went back to see what we ran there in one of the older World Challenge cars today. The last time we ran the Corvette on a DOT type R tire (shaved Toyo RA1's) was 2007. The pole time was a 1.29:3 I believe in one of the Caddy's. I think we ran a 1.29:9 or something like that in the Corvette (3150 lbs w/driver and 500 rwhp). After 2009 I think everyone switched to slicks so the times are not going to be comparable at all.

So if this thing can get in the 1:30's at all with the same caliber of driver I'm impressed but I don't think it will in the low 30's.

FYI....our GT2 corvette ran 1:23's..1:24's there (2600lbs 500 rwhp on slicks)
[ame]

Sponsored

bpracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FR-S, 2005 F250
lol, easy there racecar driver. The traction control is on so overzealous randos don't put their $60k preproduction car in the dirt, or worse the wall. The guy sounds exactly like me when I've coached there: "brake brake brake". Everybody wants to be Andretti their first time out there. That said, with only 3 minutes and 2 laps, I'd want to stretch its legs a bit also.

I hope that non-R non-Track pack cars get the center mark on the steering wheel, but I don't think that's the case.

Also looks like overrev'ing isn't a problem. I wonder if the info in the owner's supplement has been outdated.
I think we get a white band not red, but interior shots have been mostly of R models:

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/1405682958041203270.jpg

chopsui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT

FPCV8YO

Rode Hard & Put Away Wet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 350Z GT Roadster

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
I recall reading that the R was required to run near top performance on a track for 24 hours straight only stopping for fuel/tire/driver changes. If something broke, they went back to the drawing board.
If true the GT350 Track Pack should do the same.
Sponsored