Sponsored

2016 Shelby GT350/GT350R Media Drives & Reviews (CHECK FIRST POST)

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
http://www.mustangandfords.com/news/1508-first-strike-driving-the-2015-shelby-gt350/

First Strike—Driving the 2015 Shelby GT350

Glorious. That’s how we would describe the 2015 Shelby GT350 and the GT350R, a pair of Mustangs designed and built to push the boundaries of technology, horsepower and handling. Above all pomp and circumstance, above horsepower numbers, above history, above the lure and mystique of Carroll Shelby—enthusiasts want to know—does the Shelby GT350 have the mustard. Most importantly, is it a formidable successor to the wildly popular 662 horsepower GT500?

In a word—YES! We’ll reiterate, it’s glorious—freakin’ glorious. If you fancy wonderful exhaust noise, the ultimate in handling and dynamic looks, the GT350 is for you. Driving this car, especially the R-model in anger, will be a defining moment in your life.

It’s pretty impressive that Ford had the guts to switch direction of the Shelby product and step away from the very thing that made the Shelby a winner since 2007—BOOST. Ford led the horsepower game for a long time, until being unseated recently by the Dodge Hellcat. So Ford had a choice—go after the one-dimensional Mopar, or get back to the Shelby roots for the 50th Anniversary model.

“We looked at using a blower, but it’s something we’ve done already so it almost seemed too easy,” said Jamal Hameedi, chief engineer at Ford Performance. "Instead of supercharging, we went with a flat-plane crankshaft and that’s really exotic, but it takes a lot to get this to work,” he admitted. There are specific exhaust headers designed to maximize scavenging, a tuned-runner intake and big cams.

Formulating a plan, engineers extracted a magical output of power and sweet song from 5.2 liters of V8. And now, MM&FF is at Laguna Seca in California and there are a dozen or so GT350 and GT350R Mustangs waiting for us. Looks can be deceiving; in this case they are not. The GT350 is dynamic and sinister to the eye, and it’s wickedly fun to drive.

With the seatbelt clicked, we tapped the “Start” button and the 5.2L roared to life, and with a grin we were off to tackle the big sweeping corners and the famous Corkscrew. The Tremec transmission glides through the gates with smoothness and precision we’ve not experienced in a street transmission and it has a nice mechanical “click-click” when you swap gears. Warming up, we breathed on the throttle and felt the mid-range power press me in the seat.

We’re driving a Shelby, no mistake. And we could feel 50 years of heritage nudging us on. The sounds and sensation are elevated and the performance is unreal. Once you dig into the loud pedal, the GT350 responded by gunning along at an advanced pace.

After moving from the GT350 to the GT350R, everything ramped up—including our excitement level. The R is connected to the track; its tires, dampers and suspension provide a perfect balance of grip and feel. And the brakes, they’re not too shabby either. What Ford has done is provide an insane amount of performance and capability that lets you go really fast without any nervousness found in earlier Mustangs. It’s stable under extreme braking, neutral as can be whether chucked in a corner or setup smoothly and you can get with it with lots of throttle on corner exit and the pony digs and drives off with no drama.

Did we mention the sound this thing makes? We may have, but it’s worth another mention. Above 3,000 rpm the pipes open and release a symphony of burnt combustion gasses from the 12:1 compression rocket. It’s just amazing, sounding more like a race engine, than your typical Mustang V8. And it revs forever, which is incredibly cool.
This Shelby possesses handling compliance and horsepower that is balanced and gives the Shelby the overall performance to stay sure-footed under all conditions. A track like Laguna Seca will expose a vehicle’s weakness, but we simply couldn’t find one.

Sponsored

Lowrider

Drive Fast...Live Slow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A poorman's coupe
What was it like on the circuit?
"Great but not amazing. After all the hype we were really expecting something special and, as fun as it was to rev out the engine and slam it through the corners, it doesn’t feel really special. Definitely a big step up from the standard Mustang GT, just not the huge leap forward many of us were expecting."

This why they should have skipped the 350 and just make the 350R...As the only option.

F1-R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aliek "D12"
Vehicle(s)
16' GT350 AG Track P. w/ blk OTT stripes/b. roof
"What was it like on the circuit?
Great but not amazing. After all the hype we were really expecting something special and, as fun as it was to rev out the engine and slam it through the corners, it doesn’t feel really special. Definitely a big step up from the standard Mustang GT, just not the huge leap forward many of us were expecting."

Overall I liked Top Gear's review except for the part above. I don't know what more they want or what they were expecting...Ferrari-like engine response, nimble like a GT3, or grip like a GTR??? I wonder if this is a little bit of their prejudice towards American cars that is coming out

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
I wonder if this is a little bit of their prejudice towards American cars that is coming out
Because Freedom!!!!!!!! :ford:

Sponsored

FPCV8YO

Rode Hard & Put Away Wet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 350Z GT Roadster

DruidBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
At first I was going to SMH reading the MUSTANGS and Ford review when they called it a GT500 successor but then this comment from Jamal is interesting. I would've thought they started off with the goal of keeping it NA no matter what since (if there is one actually coming as we have heard) the GT500 will almost definitely be supercharged or turbo.

“We looked at using a blower, but it’s something we’ve done already so it almost seemed too easy,” said Jamal Hameedi, chief engineer at Ford Performance. "Instead of supercharging, we went with a flat-plane crankshaft and that’s really exotic, but it takes a lot to get this to work,” he admitted. There are specific exhaust headers designed to maximize scavenging, a tuned-runner intake and big cams."

FPCV8YO

Rode Hard & Put Away Wet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 350Z GT Roadster
Great but not amazing. After all the hype we were really expecting something special and, as fun as it was to rev out the engine and slam it through the corners, it doesn’t feel really special. Definitely a big step up from the standard Mustang GT, just not the huge leap forward many of us were expecting."

Overall I liked Top Gear's review except for the part above. I don't know what more they want or what they were expecting...Ferrari-like engine response, nimble like a GT3, or grip like a GTR??? I wonder if this is a little bit of their prejudice towards American cars that is coming out
A big step up but, not amazing?

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
I'd take it with a grain of salt... we need Randy P's feedback. Not that any layman can beat his fast track times but his opinion on the performance, handling, balance, etc... is valuable. I don't think many of us will be disappointed.

Sponsored

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
[ame]

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
[ame]

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
[ame]

DruidBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
Ugh all these generic statements about inspiring confidence etc etc. Need Randy to give his usual detailed substantive comments while driving it around the track. They say before the weekend... must be soon?
Sponsored