Sponsored

2015 Mustang GT Versus 2015 BMW M4 Comparison

MYs197

Thanks jarstang, I'm enjoying these comparisons.

I didn't realize the M4 is 4.5" shorter in length but 3.6" longer wheelbase. Sure wish the S550's overhang was more in line with the M4's.

Kingranch

It is very apparent to me that the S550 now passes the laugh test when being compared against BMW. It's not as refined and never will be but boy did it take a huge leap forward with this new car, both exterior and interior. I've seen comparisons like this of the S197 and the M3 and it is not even close.

If you were to show these pics to someone with no understanding of where the Mustang and M4 fall in terms of price and demographic of buyers, I would bet many would say they are comparable.

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
Wonder how many M4's BMW will sell next year?

Taneras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Auto 3.55 GT
That M4 sure looks sexy. Don't get me wrong I love the 2015 mustangs, but BMW did well too. I'm loving the M4's 0-60 too, hopefully the GT can drop from a 4.5 to a 4 flat as well.

Sponsored

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I DO NOT want the Mustang to have a 110 inch wheelbase. 106-107 is perfect, especially with a 63/65 inch track.

With Fords statement about weight today, a 3300lbs 5.0 GT might be possible, AND, very well could have been the target weight.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I DO NOT want the Mustang to have a 110 inch wheelbase. 106-107 is perfect, especially with a 63/65 inch track.

With Fords statement about weight today, a 3300lbs 5.0 GT might be possible, AND, very well could have been the target weight.

Ford should have had a reveal in Stuttgart!

JGillis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus SHO
Can you explain why this matters if the length is still shorter than the Mustang? Serious question.

It goes without saying the M4 handles just fine with a 110" wheelbase and it has more or less the same width track as the S550, it just makes better use of its size. Doesn't this create for a smoother ride (for DD purposes) and also more stability in high speed cornering for the track? since longer wheelbase leads to less front to rear weight shift?

Apologies to all if this is basic stuff.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I'm a big BMW fan (daily driver is an e46 330i) and I love the new 3 and 4 series. The new Ms are fantastic........but I'd still take an S550. Can't wait to see how the two compare on the road and track.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
That M4 sure looks sexy. Don't get me wrong I love the 2015 mustangs, but BMW did well too. I'm loving the M4's 0-60 too, hopefully the GT can drop from a 4.5 to a 4 flat as well.
Boss 302 cracked 3.9 once. New GT... I think it'll dip into the 3s as well, especially with improved launch control.

The new M has massive torque compared to the old model, and can be viewed as being better than S550's 5.0 as it's peak is higher, and it comes on a lot earlier. You'd need to be in the right gear all the time in the new GT to come anywhere near it.

Around the track. Well, M Performance are notorious for always moving the goalposts and this should be no exception. Mustang's new suspension is an unknown quantity. Judging from some of the info that's there it should also be a huge leap over the previous GT. Whether it matches the M3/4 (like it did before), I don't know.

I'll take a stab and say the BMW driver would (want to) lose, only to hear more of that preceding 5.0 symphony.

Sponsored

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Can you explain why this matters if the length is still shorter than the Mustang? Serious question.

It goes without saying the M4 handles just fine with a 110" wheelbase and it has more or less the same width track as the S550, it just makes better use of its size. Doesn't this create for a smoother ride (for DD purposes) and also more stability in high speed cornering for the track? since longer wheelbase leads to less front to rear weight shift?

Apologies to all if this is basic stuff.
107x63/65 is a hell of an agressive footprint. That's where your optimal performance comes from. I expressed my concern before, BMW moving from an optimal 107x63 to a 110x63... It seems German engineering had to sacrifice performance for passenger comfort.

...and I'm sure "passenger comfort" is where magazines will swing this comparison. After the Mustang drags that M4 out on the track and beats it into the dirt. The first German masterpiece out handled by a US sports coupe... and trust me, it will...

chopsui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT

What statement about weight?

edit: Nevermind I think i found it. In case anyone else is wondering, they reiterated that they had aggressive weight targets and that they're on track to meet them.

Lavien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Well yea, of course.

For a $30k discount tho, it's about as good as you can expect. It still matches up a lot better than the current interior.
Sponsored