Sponsored

Whipple belt chirp

RogerS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT Premium PP 50th
The new stands are now different compared to the ones they sent out as a fix a year or so ago. The fist ones were just machined down to no longer be press fit into the idler plate but were otherwise no different than the ones that came originally with the supercharger. The new ones are now a little shorter.

I know the idler plates in the new kits rolling out the door now have the stand holes in them opened up compared the the first design to make the stands no longer press fit but just gettin the new shorter stands and press fitting them into my first design idler plate combined with the new tensioner have eliminated the chirps I have been experiencing for a year and 1/2.

FYI I have 10 rib setup which uses the long belt route but I'm confident doing the same will eliminate your issue as well.
Good deal. Thanks for the heads up about the newest version of the stands.
Sponsored

jhatley7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 White GT PP, 2022 F350
The new stands are now different compared to the ones they sent out as a fix a year or so ago. The fist ones were just machined down to no longer be press fit into the idler plate but were otherwise no different than the ones that came originally with the supercharger. The new ones are now a little shorter.

I know the idler plates in the new kits rolling out the door now have the stand holes in them opened up compared the the first design to make the stands no longer press fit but just gettin the new shorter stands and press fitting them into my first design idler plate combined with the new tensioner have eliminated the chirps I have been experiencing for a year and 1/2.

FYI I have 10 rib setup which uses the long belt route but I'm confident doing the same will eliminate your issue as well.
This is what makes me think it is my error leading to my issues. :shrug:

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
This is what makes me think it is my error leading to my issues. :shrug:
I wish I had any info to help you :(

You say you have the newest stands released in the last couple months? Do you have the first run idler plate which requires press fitting the stands or the newer version which they loosely fit into?

If pressfit perhaps one or more was pressed in at a slight angle causing a misalignment? Innitially this was thought to be the culprit and is why they release a stand with one end machined down to no longer be press fit to eliminate the possibility of misalignment.

If loose fit perhaps one or more of the stands were 1/2 in 1/2 out of the holes in the idler plate when you tipped the plate into position and then tightened down out of alignment? A trick is to tape them to the idler plate in their correct position so when you tip the idler plate into position they stay aligned and then remove the tape after snugging the plate down hand tight. I also recommend reaching behind the plate with your fingers and spin the stands to make sure they spin and are in their groove before torquing the plate to the engine. Also be sure to torque to the proper setting per the instructions and not just crank them tight by feel.

Anyway, that's all can think of right now. Good luck and let us know if you figure it out.

jhatley7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 White GT PP, 2022 F350
I wish I had any info to help you :(

If loose fit perhaps one or more of the stands were 1/2 in 1/2 out of the holes in the idler plate when you tipped the plate into position and then tightened down out of alignment? A trick is to tape them to the idler plate in their correct position so when you tip the idler plate into position they stay aligned and then remove the tape after snugging the plate down hand tight. I also recommend reaching behind the plate with your fingers and spin the stands to make sure they spin and are in their groove before torquing the plate to the engine. Also be sure to torque to the proper setting per the instructions and not just crank them tight by feel.

Anyway, that's all can think of right now. Good luck and let us know if you figure it out.
Loose fit. I actually put them in one at a time with the plate vertical. Bolt in one hand stand in the other, etc... Then recheck stands and hand tighten re check lol.

I really appreciate you taking the time to help! :headbang: I will probably just wait till my motor build to mess with it again unless it gets worse. Being right now car is on the lift about to pull the trans for a clutch job. AGAIN lol.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Loose fit. I actually put them in one at a time with the plate vertical. Bolt in one hand stand in the other, etc... Then recheck stands and hand tighten re check lol.

I really appreciate you taking the time to help! :headbang: I will probably just wait till my motor build to mess with it again unless it gets worse. Being right now car is on the lift about to pull the trans for a clutch job. AGAIN lol.

Glad to help, I hope you get it figured out :)

Sponsored

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Keep in mind the new procedure for installing the idler plate now has the plate torqued to spec with the lower manifold bolts loose. This way if the SC and lower are NOT interfering with the plate, then the entire SC unit will move not the plate. Then the top bolt on the plate to SC is torqued down so again if there is a miss or gap the entire SC will be drawn into the plate. Lastly the SC lower manifold bolts are torqued. This new procedure helps to keeps the idler plate to timing cover true and unaffect by the SC location, and with the new shorter idler stands most people so far have no belt noise that I know of.

Last edited:

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
FYI I spoke with Dustin and it looks like the new tensioner should have come with revised idle plate stands which I didn't get. He's going to send them to me. fingers crossed. It would be such a relief to start the car and have no chirping.

bigfoot21075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible with Performance Pack
FYI I spoke with Dustin and it looks like the new tensioner should have come with revised idle plate stands which I didn't get. He's going to send them to me. fingers crossed. It would be such a relief to start the car and have no chirping.
:clap2: Let's hope that does it! I have to imagine this is frustrating!

S550Whipple12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.9l whipple
Wow I never got that either my car makes a swoosh noise at high Rpms anyone else have this

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Wow I never got that either my car makes a swoosh noise at high Rpms anyone else have this
I would not think the noise your speaking of would be belt related at least not what we here are having issue with here. When you say swoosh sound,mwhen does it occur? When you shift, when you let off or just when in WOT.

Sponsored

S550Whipple12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.9l whipple
It only does it in low gear at high rpm
I had a dyno done with old tensionar belt was literally jumping you can see it in the graph
Also the piece of the tensionar that goes into pulley bracket was broken

I never had a noise when I was running the shorter belt

Boosted5.0_NY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium w/ Performance Package
Keep in mind the new procedure for installing the idler plate now has the plate torqued to spec with the lower manifold bolts loose. This way if the SC and lower are NOT interfering with the plate, then the entire SC unit will move not the plate. Then the top bolt on the plate to SC is torqued down so again if there is a miss or gap the entire SC will be drawn into the plate. Lastly the SC lower manifold bolts are torqued. This new procedure helps to keeps the idler plate to timing cover true and unaffect by the SC location, and with the new shorter idler stands most people so far have no belt noise that I know of.
I emailed Dustin today about my issue and they are sending out the new idler plate stands. They also emailed me the installation procedure which requires loosening of the SC manifold bolts to pull in the SC for proper alignment as you mentioned.

rio16

MAD_50HH
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rio
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Whippled Competition Orange
Dustin/Mike and Dave have been great in helping me as well. Whipple sending out the new stand and idlers. Forgot to ask for the long belt. Anyone know where I can get it. Thanks

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
They are amazing, they never cease to amaze me how great they are. Hopefully you all get it squared away because it is such a joy to no longer have the mice under the hood.