Sponsored

Whipple belt chirp

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
What part number and for which routing ?

Thanks,,,,,,soon as I get my idler ill go with that
Is this for the original routing or the new one ?
This is for the old routing the belt for the old routing is the K061058 this other belt K061066RPM is approx. .812 longer which should put your tensioner in the optimum spot. If not you can dial it in with the adjustable tensioner.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I would think,shorter route is superior? Finding any of these belts BTW seem challenging
esp the short one
Generally I would chose a shorter belt however in this particular application I would opt for the longer belt and old routing as it provides better tracking for the belt on the pulleys. Meaning you will not have problems with the belt riding near the edges of the smooth idlers, belt squeak shouldn't be an issue with the new billet tensioner as there is no flex in the arm and the tensioner arm runs parallel to the mounting surface, unlike the original cast tensioner it had flex and alignment issues at least mine did.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I must be one of the few. Installed my new tensioner and immediately still had a chirp.

I will say, it is significantly better than it was but on a cold start there is a high pitch squeal and chirp which goes away after a minute or two; pretty similar to how the issue was when it first started. When I went to the shorter belt routing, it made the squealing louder and sound like it was coming from more than one source. This noise sounded more like a sound the pulleys would be making, not so much a belt sound - it sounded like a 50 year old motor with rusty parts.

Would going back to the longer belt routing possibly reduce this remaining issue?
The first thing I would do is remove the belt and verify that all of the pulleys in the system rotate smoothly, you may have a bad bearing somewhere. Secondly I would make sure that you don't have any pulleys that are walking or wobbling, if you are running the new tensioner and old belt routing with a new belt and it still squeaks you need to look into the alignment of your pulleys.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
The first thing I would do is remove the belt and verify that all of the pulleys in the system rotate smoothly, you may have a bad bearing somewhere. Secondly I would make sure that you don't have any pulleys that are walking or wobbling, if you are running the new tensioner and old belt routing with a new belt and it still squeaks you need to look into the alignment of your pulleys.
I'm pretty sure it's not going to be the tensioner or the alignment of pulleys/bearings. He said that after a minute it goes away. If it were any of those problems, it would squeak all the time. Change to a new Gates green belt or that RPM belt that was mentioned and I bet it goes away... for a while.

Sponsored

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I'm pretty sure it's not going to be the tensioner or the alignment of pulleys/bearings. He said that after a minute it goes away. If it were any of those problems, it would squeak all the time. Change to a new Gates green belt or that RPM belt that was mentioned and I bet it goes away... for a while.
I'm sorry but he did say
" This noise sounded more like a sound the pulley's would be making, not so much a belt sound - it sounded like a 50 year old motor with rusty parts " I didn't say that there is anything wrong with the new tensioner, Whipple themselves said that OLD belts would work fine.:thumbsup:

SmokedSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Those that have received your new tensioner how did it take? Been waiting about a month since e-mail confirmation that I was on list :( On second belt in that time due to 1 ripping on the short routing at about 1000 miles?

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Those that have received your new tensioner how did it take? Been waiting about a month since e-mail confirmation that I was on list :( On second belt in that time due to 1 ripping on the short routing at about 1000 miles?
Just give Whipple a call maybe yours got lost in the mix, took just over a week to get mine and I'm in Canada.

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
We've been fulfilling orders for 2 weeks, not 1 month. If your system is eating a belt, it is 100% alignment. The top of the plate needs to be shimmed .035-.070" between tensioner plate and SC inlet. But, the tensioner should resolve this issue therefore no shimming would be required.

Sponsored

SmokedSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
My bad on the timing, just seems long when your waiting.. 12-27-16 I was told assembling this week shipping next week.

Looks like mine may be coming now fingers crossed this has been a long journey.

Whipple support has been Great and that 10 rib set-up looks amazing.

zuki_dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Premium M6 TY
I received mine today after talking with Will and PM's with Dustin about my alignment issues with the short belt routing. All I can say is they have awesome customer service and have shipped me parts and new belts with no questions asked.:hail: I still have some trial spacers for the idler plate in route from Dustin.

I went back to the long routing to alleviate the alignment with the first smooth idler pulley on the plate.

Here are some comparison pics.

Installed pic. Too bad it won't be seen after installing the expansion tank.

Excelerater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
FYI guys you can buy the longer KO61066 belt in RPM version from Rock Auto
This is for the longer belt arrangement . 55 bucks .

agrump

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustange GT Premium PP
I received mine today after talking with Will and PM's with Dustin about my alignment issues with the short belt routing.

What was the alignment issue? On my car, the belt on the idler between the tensioner and the dampener on the short belt routing is all the way back. I'm wondering if the long routing would fix it.

zuki_dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Premium M6 TY
What was the alignment issue? On my car, the belt on the idler between the tensioner and the dampener on the short belt routing is all the way back. I'm wondering if the long routing would fix it.
[MENTION=25433]agrump[/MENTION] That was my alignment issue also with the short routing. The belt was all the way back on the smooth idler and possibly off the back slightly. Out of curiosity I went a got a long belt and tried it and now the water pump pulley guides the belt to the middle of that idler. I had posted some pictures of the alignment with the short belt back a few pages.

Whipple suggested that the long routing should be fine with the new tensioner, so I am going to stay with it for awhile. I am using gates belt K061058. the local Oreilly auto parts had it in stock for $32.
Sponsored