Sponsored

What options do I have for an axleback that is...

OP
OP
Tribefan

Tribefan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I find the FRPP Sport surprisingly quiet, especially when just cruising around town. On the highway, I hit cruise control at 77 mph with my radio turned up to about 12, and I don't even notice it's there (until I go to pass someone). It won't be anywhere near as loud as Roush axelbacks with an H pipe.

There are tons of reviews of these exhausts, and I can say for certain that the reviews for the Sport exhaust are spot-on. If they sound like they fit your needs, I think you will be happy with the choice.
If you're cruising at 77 MPH on the freeway, would you say that you have to raise your voice at all with the radio off to talk over the added in-car exhaust volume?
Sponsored

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
I've heard a few axelbacks and everything is pretty tame until you do a resonator delete. Really opens things up and increase the volume significantly. The Roush didn't seem that loud until adding an X/H. I've got borla ATAKs with an H pipe. Super loud but zero drone. Somewhat raspy but not obnoxious except at cold start.

bscn8c

Certified BADASS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
If you're cruising at 77 MPH on the freeway, would you say that you have to raise your voice at all with the radio off to talk over the added in-car exhaust volume?
Not really. Maybe a little bit, but you can easily hold a conversation. It's definitely not that loud! You can hear it and tell it's aftermarket, but at cruising speed it's really not that loud compared to many other exhausts. You'll probably notice it the first few trips you take, but it grows on you quickly.

I opted for the FRPP over anything else because I take a lot of long trips throughout the year (4+ hours), and didn't want to have to listen to it constantly. I'm very happy with it. I sometimes wish it was louder, but for those long trips I'm glad it isn't.

Here's a couple of videos of people reviewing the setup (while driving). Should give you an idea how loud it is in the cabin:
[ame]
[ame]

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
i just did a res delete with a cjpp x pipe .. and stock mufflers so far im happy with it , but im sure ill want something more them fr mufflers sound sweet

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I'd love to get a Corsa system, but I can't justify paying that much for what they are. The Borlas are more than I'd want to spend already, but at least they're not a crazy as the Corsas. I'm really interested in the Ford Racing by Borla Touring axleback, but I'm just worried it'll be too quiet. Meanwhile, I'm worried the Sport will be comparable to the Roush I had on my 2014 in terms of noise and I don't want to go that loud. Maybe like 2/3 or 3/4 of the Roush loudness would be ideal.

[MENTION=19287]Tribefan[/MENTION] I am on the same path as you. My plan is A/B only, because deleting the resonator could be too loud and more likely to drone.

Both FRPP and Borla are 309 and priced the same, but they are more affordable than Corsa. I like the tips on the FRPP more than the Borla.

I am leaning towards the Sport. The Touring will be louder than stock, but if it is not much then why bother to put it on at all? The Sport is likely louder only at the upper frequencies, but the same at the lower frequencies. I think that with the windows up, the upper frequencies will be greatly subdued, and so the two systems will sound similar. IOW, I don't think that the Sport would sound much louder at all on the freeway with windows up.

This is my theory, and I am an exhaust newb. Personally I see no reason to over spend on exhaust, or go too loud. So that means A/B only for me as an older driver whose Mustang is his daily and whose wife's opinion also matters.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tribefan

Tribefan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Well, I just pulled the trigger on the Sport version of the Ford Racing by Borla axleback. Found a really good deal at AndersonFordMotorsport.com. I'm looking forward to getting it installed and seeing how it sounds with my CJPP H-pipe.

OP
OP
Tribefan

Tribefan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Well, I got the exhaust installed over the weekend. This is with the factory resonator back in place due to a shitty welding job by the shop I paid to weld in my H-pipe. They basically ruined it so I had my uncle weld my factory resonator back in place. Video has a cold start, a few revs and a couple drive-bys. My impressions: I was expecting it to be and was hoping it would be a little louder. However, there is absolutely no drone and it's barely louder than stock inside the car. If you're driving around someone with a Roush exhaust like I did this weekend, you'll realize how quiet this is in comparison, but it still sounds good in my opinion. [ame]

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Well, I got the exhaust installed over the weekend. This is with the factory resonator back in place due to a shitty welding job by the shop I paid to weld in my H-pipe. They basically ruined it so I had my uncle weld my factory resonator back in place. Video has a cold start, a few revs and a couple drive-bys. My impressions: I was expecting it to be and was hoping it would be a little louder. However, there is absolutely no drone and it's barely louder than stock inside the car. If you're driving around someone with a Roush exhaust like I did this weekend, you'll realize how quiet this is in comparison, but it still sounds good in my opinion.
Well, I'm very sorry for your trouble from the first shop. But I'm very glad for my own selfish reason, because I want to try this A/B with the stock resonator. I like the tone you have now, and the loudness is probably in that narrow range that I am trying to achieve. Great video, and thanks for making it the way you did.

ramairgt1

15 GT PP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whippled '20 Mustang GT PP2
I have a FR Sport by borla axle back set that I plan on selling once my SOLO exhaust is put on. It might be a few weeks though, im holding out for a sale on the SOLO.

edit: nevermind i saw you bought it already lol

OP
OP
Tribefan

Tribefan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Well, I'm very sorry for your trouble from the first shop. But I'm very glad for my own selfish reason, because I want to try this A/B with the stock resonator. I like the tone you have now, and the loudness is probably in that narrow range that I am trying to achieve. Great video, and thanks for making it the way you did.
I'm glad you enjoyed the video. Hopefully this helps you in your decision on whether to buy it or not.

Sponsored

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
It's videos like this that make me second guess going all out for a Solo catback. This doesn't sound bad at all.

OP
OP
Tribefan

Tribefan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
It's videos like this that make me second guess going all out for a Solo catback. This doesn't sound bad at all.
It really does have a good sound. Just wish it was a little louder. I worry that going to a resonator delete will not only make it louder, but change the sound too much. So I'm going back and forth on whether to leave it alone or not.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
It really does have a good sound. Just wish it was a little louder.
Have you tried rolling down the windows? ;)

I worry that going to a resonator delete will not only make it louder, but change the sound too much. So I'm going back and forth on whether to leave it alone or not.
And possibly allow drone to creep in.

OP
OP
Tribefan

Tribefan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Too bad we can't get side-by-side video of what [MENTION=23211]robwlf[/MENTION] and [MENTION=19287]Tribefan[/MENTION] did for their exhaust. Aren't they the same setup?

Tribefan, from page one you already tried the X-pipe with OEM mufflers (post #10).
And from post #1 and #5, it seems like you have already achieved your goal.

I was on the phone with a fellow Stangster, and he concluded that ~50% of the loudness is at the exit of the cats, ~25% from the resonator, and ~25% from the mufflers.
IOW, LTH has the biggest gain in loudness, and then deleting either the resonator or mufflers is about equal gain in loudness.

Exhaust is kind of like all those exterior bulb mods. We exhange our bulbs for fancy effect LEDs, but then we never see them from inside the car!
With exhaust, it is more about what others hear from our cars than what we hear as the driver.
Sponsored