Sponsored

Whipple belt chirp

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
What was the alignment issue? On my car, the belt on the idler between the tensioner and the dampener on the short belt routing is all the way back. I'm wondering if the long routing would fix it.
Start from page 20 and read to the end then you will have a better understanding of the issue.
Sponsored

Excelerater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
[MENTION=25433]agrump[/MENTION] That was my alignment issue also with the short routing. The belt was all the way back on the smooth idler and possibly off the back slightly. Out of curiosity I went a got a long belt and tried it and now the water pump pulley guides the belt to the middle of that idler. I had posted some pictures of the alignment with the short belt back a few pages.

Whipple suggested that the long routing should be fine with the new tensioner, so I am going to stay with it for awhile. I am using gates belt K061058. the local Oreilly auto parts had it in stock for $32.

The belts are confusing as hell......I have a K061066 on my car now(long route) and I have a K061058HD (green belt) on the shelf and a K061066RPM on the way

Unlike old school V Belts these ribbed versions confuse the hell out of me
I guess Ill see what fits when the new hardware arrives .
Gates webpage is waste of time,maybe Whipple can chime on on
whats the differences are

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
The belts are confusing as hell......I have a K061066 on my car now(long route) and I have a K061058HD (green belt) on the shelf and a K061066RPM on the way

Unlike old school V Belts these ribbed versions confuse the hell out of me
I guess Ill see what fits when the new hardware arrives .
Gates webpage is waste of time,maybe Whipple can chime on on
whats the differences are
It's simple the K061058 with the 3.625 pulley is a little on the short side so with the K061066rpm you can give the tensioner a little more slack. The K061066RPM is the belt you want for the long belt routing.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
You can also GOOGLE gates belt chart and it will come up at the top, it gives you the dimensions of all micro v belts. It doesn't list the HD or RPM series but that just get added to the end of the part number.

Sponsored

VAGunny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
For whatever its worth, I installed my Whipple at the end of December and noticed the belt alignment issues immediately. No chirping for me but the inner edge of the belt was riding the back of the supercharger pulley and had already begun fraying after only about 25-30 miles. Contacted Whipple about this and they immediately owned up to the issue and put me down to receive the new tensioner.

Received the billet tensioner this week and got it installed in about 10 minutes...seems to have completely fixed the alignment issue and is running perfectly. This thing is one seriously beefy tensioner!

A big shout out to the amazing customer service at Whipple, in particular Will & Jeff! Will has been extremely responsive and helpful answering all my emails (which has been quite a few at this point).

cmylxgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Magnetic Automatic
My car sheared a tensioner the other day and began to eat my belt.
Received my new billet tensioner and this thing is beautiful. I also don't think I will be shearing another pin with this new unit :D Thanks again Whipple for the great customer service. Just wish my car wasn't in storage so I could drive it.
2016-11-24 21.53.30.jpg
2017-01-20 18.25.29.jpg

jhatley7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 White GT PP, 2022 F350
For whatever its worth, I installed my Whipple at the end of December and noticed the belt alignment issues immediately. No chirping for me but the inner edge of the belt was riding the back of the supercharger pulley and had already begun fraying after only about 25-30 miles. Contacted Whipple about this and they immediately owned up to the issue and put me down to receive the new tensioner.

Received the billet tensioner this week and got it installed in about 10 minutes...seems to have completely fixed the alignment issue and is running perfectly. This thing is one seriously beefy tensioner!

A big shout out to the amazing customer service at Whipple, in particular Will & Jeff! Will has been extremely responsive and helpful answering all my emails (which has been quite a few at this point).

Are you 6 or 10 Rib? I have the belt off the back issue also with my 10-rib. Unfortunately the new tensioner did not help. Only made my belt squeak. Dustin has been excellent to work with. He has new plate spacers/stands coming my way. Hopefully that will fix the issue.

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
I got the new tensioner on and ran my stock long belt which was already on and in the same direction before the new tensioner was put on. My start up was not good at all. Instead of the cricket chirp, I had a pig squealing. The belt looked to be tracking true and shots with a water bottle would quiet it for a few seconds and then scream again.

I sent a video to Whipple and they are working with me feverishly. I have complete faith in their ability to fix this. If anyone else has problems, don't give up on Whipple because they won't give up on you as plenty of posts have expressed. Updates to come.

Excelerater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I got the new tensioner on and ran my stock long belt which was already on and in the same direction before the new tensioner was put on. My start up was not good at all. Instead of the cricket chirp, I had a pig squealing. The belt looked to be tracking true and shots with a water bottle would quiet it for a few seconds and then scream again.

I sent a video to Whipple and they are working with me feverishly. I have complete faith in their ability to fix this. If anyone else has problems, don't give up on Whipple because they won't give up on you as plenty of posts have expressed. Updates to come.

Perhaps a new belt was in order?

Sponsored

al3x

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Tried on the new tensioner but still getting noise, less than before at least I think, I do see the belt move a little bit back and forth, might be the reason for the noise. Is there an easy way to check why it would be moving around a bit?

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Tried on the new tensioner but still getting noise, less than before at least I think, I do see the belt move a little bit back and forth, might be the reason for the noise. Is there an easy way to check why it would be moving around a bit?
Check for bearing movement in your idler pulleys.

al3x

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Check for bearing movement in your idler pulleys.
Sorry for the noob question but what's the best way? I tightened them all to whatever the instructions told me, I can't remember what that was exactly, and there's no movement when I move them with my hand with the belt off

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Sorry for the noob question but what's the best way? I tightened them all to whatever the instructions told me, I can't remember what that was exactly, and there's no movement when I move them with my hand with the belt off
When the car is at idle watch the idlers and see if they are wobbling.